Personal Information

Byond ID?
    Scsnv

CM Character?
    James-Frederick Cerwick

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    EST (I will be moving to LA towards the end of summer, currently EST though).

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    Now that my schedule is clearing up, probably two or three rounds a day, multiple days a week. At least 15 per, probably. Potentially more in some weeks and less in others.

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    Besides some IRL responsibilities, no.

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    No.

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made
    CO app (accepted):
    //showthrea...er-Application

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    No.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    Negative.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    No; no bans.

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Definitely. It's all a team effort.

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    I would check his notes, see if he has any previous history of griefing in the past, and check the logs to see if it was an accident or intentional griefing. If it were an accident, I'd leave it IC and leave it at that. If it was intentional, Rule 4 comes into play; a warning and note would be in order, or a ban if their note history justifies it.

I might also check to make sure that the player who was shot didn't retaliate or improperly escalate the situation (i.e. shooting them back).

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    This is a whitelist issue, so I'd direct the player to make a player report and make their case to the Pred Council. I'd still check logs to make sure there's no actual rulebreaks that need to be addressed.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    First, I'd direct a mentor to them if any is available. If not, I'd point them in the right direction to get geared up and ready to go. Ideally, I'd try to find an experienced marine and ask them to help guide the new guy throughout the round. It also wouldn't hurt to mention the Discord and the channels that have been created to try and help players in scenarios just like this.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    I'm under no obligation to forward his issue to an Admin+. If he's unhappy with the way I've been handling things, I'd invite him to write up a staff report, and provide him with the link. I'd check their notes to see if they have any history of bad behavior, and issue a warning if it's egregious or a ban if the note history calls for it. My understanding is that moderators are capable of muting/barring a player from ahelps, and that would probably be my next course of action after a warning.

I'm pretty thick-skinned, but if a player were to act rude towards me, he could just as easily act in a similar manner to other staff or players. Being personally passive towards insults or poor behavior directed at me shouldn't and wouldn't stop me from ensuring that Rule 3 gets enforced.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    I'd refer him to Rule 12 which outlines acceptable naming conventions, and ask him to select a new name that falls under those rules. I believe that mods are able to change names, but if not I'd ask an admin to do so if one is available. I'd also check his notes and make sure he doesn't have a history of breaking Rule 12 or trouble with names in the past.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    IC issue. As long as he isn't breaking any server rules (i.e. metagaming or griefing), I'd leave it be. Wouldn't hurt to check his note history for any past of griefing or similar behaviors, though.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    I would inform the marine that survivors are allowed to be hostile towards marines, as long as they are hostile from the beginning and, yes, state their intentions. I would check logs just to make sure they were indeed openly hostile, but beyond that it's IC.

If the survivor were to start blasting people shipside after making peace with them, however, that would constitute a rulebreak and then action would be taken.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    I would get the stories from both the player and the MP, and check the logs, and check their note history. If the player did indeed commit another crime worthy of permanent confinement, then it's IC. But if the MP permabrigged the player for theft and trespassing (not crimes punishable by permabrigging), I would instruct the MP to decrease the sentence - a warning and a note might be in order, or even a job-ban if there's a history of issues while playing MP.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    I would SM the CO/XO/etc first, and then QM the Queen. If the CO doesn't take the hint via SM, I would probably give a more overt message/order via a HC message, assuming that's another option that's available to me.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    It would be improper and unprofessional for me to take action if I'm involved in the issue. I would either ahelp or request that another member of staff gets involved via msay to check it out.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    Per Rule 4, combat between factions that are hostile to each other does not constitute EORG, and therefore it's IC. I would explain this to the ahelping player. No action taken.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    I would check logs, and if they are indeed griefing I would warn and note the player. A ban might be in order depending on note history, but it would have to be a pretty lengthy or severe note history.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    I would check the logs to see how the situation escalated, and if it did indeed go from a punch to shooting (or whatever other manner of death) inform the offending player that they committed Improper Escalation, a breach of Rule 14. Apply note, or ban if they have a history with IE.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    OOC or LOOC the group, informing them of the guidelines as outlined by Rule 17 (must have the assigned leader ahelp with the names of five mutineers, the reason for mutiny, etc - also inform them that they cannot deny the other side revives when the fighting has concluded, no killing of un-involved and medical personnel, the works).

I'd watch to oversee the mutiny, and if they still don't follow through with the proper procedure after being informed, warnings or bans will be handed out.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    LOOC the group and ask them to tone it down a bit. Minor IC racism is fine, but if it's making someone uncomfortable or unhappy, that's when it needs to relax or end altogether. Check note history of those making the comments and see if there's any history of excessive racist comments or the works, check logs and maybe warn and note if it's anything particularly egregious. I'd probably confer with other staff just to make sure that what I'm interpreting as "egregious" isn't acceptable RP.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Classic griefing. Week ban, file for perma. Aheal those affected by the grief/LOOC or OOC ask those affected to ahelp in order to be ahealed.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Yet another example of classic griefing. I would ask what their reasoning was just to see if they had any semblance of an excuse. Xeno ban, or temp ban depending on note history.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    I'd contact them and refer them to Rule 2, as well as the "Roleplay Standards" section for Xenos. Xenos are part of a hivemind, and therefore aren't allowed to insult or disobey the Queen. Apply note and check note history for any similar issues with LRP/xeno roleplay.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    Per the "Roleplay Standards" section in the Rules, this is acceptable. I would inform the ahelping Xeno player of the standards and leave it at that. No action taken.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    I would inform the Command player that unless an event is taking place which specifies otherwise, marines have no knowledge of existence of Xenos. Refer him to the "Roleplay Standards" section for marines, check notes, apply note or perhaps a job-ban if the notes show a history of this.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    Checking the logs and notes of each player would be the first step. Asking the other two marines in the pod for their perspective also wouldn't hurt. Assuming the situation was properly escalated, it's an IC issue and I wouldn't take any action.

If the logs do in fact show that it was Improper Escalation (lack of RP, clear malicious behavior, outright shooting without speaking, etc), then a strong warning would be in order. If the note history shows any other issues with griefing or IE, a temp ban might be in order.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    I'd inform them that they could write a staff report if they feel I mishandled a situation. If the insults persist, I'd warn/mute them. It might be more appropriate to let another member of staff handle their punishment, however.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    IC issue. Nothing I can do about it.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    I would weigh in with my opinion or corrections in msay; if they go through with it anyways, and I believe what they did was incorrect, I would either bring it up for discussion in staff channels (Discord or forums, presumably), or speak to the Mod Manager. Whatever is best to avoid internal staff conflict. Usually I would opt to speak to the manager or perhaps ask a senior mod to weigh in, but if it's a general discussion that can be held constructively, I don't see an issue with bringing it up in staff channels (per Staff Code of Conduct, this appears to be acceptable).

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    I wouldn't intervene unless I absolutely have to. I would ask them to take it to a staff channel after-the-fact if the issue isn't being resolved at the time - really, though, this is for a higher-up to handle, preferably the respective staff manager. I would bring it to their attention if it hasn't been brought up to them already, and end my involvement there.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    I've enjoyed CM for a significant chunk of time now, and I want to pitch in and ensure that players have fun and enjoy themselves. I believe I'm a very even-handed and fair person, and hopefully I can put that to use as part of staff (not to say that current staff fails in this respect, but I don't think an extra set of eyes could hurt. Unless there's too many cooks in the kitchen).

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Accountability, hands down. As much as it might surprise other players, staff members are actually human -- nobody's perfect. But I believe a core trait of being staff is being responsible enough to hold yourself accountable for the decisions made (and quite possibly the mistakes made), and holding yourself accountable for the players' enjoyment of the round. Staff has a job to do, and being accountable and ensuring that said job gets carried out is a must.

Anything else you
    My understanding of the current staff roster is that standards are being raised due to the increasing number of staff, and staff is skewed fairly heavily towards EST. I would point to my (relatively) soon-to-be PST status, but no matter what I respect and appreciate the decisions made by those who review this app. I simply didn't feel a need to hold off on an application due to current staff constraints - either it gets considered or it doesn't.

A quick thanks for taking the time to read all this, and staff's consideration.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This application is near perfect, the one thing I will just point out is that mods can't do High Command annoucements.

Player isn't a shitlord, I think he would make a fine addition.

CM-SS13 Vice Host
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Soldier here, application has excellent answers.
    Charles & Arthur Edwinson
    Synth Percival | Artyom
    Yautja Kjhute Luar-ke

Record:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Discord: forest2001#2001

Manager Emeritus & System Administrator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also in agreement, and I'm very glad you decided to apply. I don't really have anything to add, answers are basically perfect and you have a good history. I look forward to having you on the team.
    TrialModerator from 12/15/2018 to 12/29/2018
    Moderator from 12/29/2018 to 6/29/2019
    TrialAdmin from 6/29/2019 to 7/29/2019
    Admin from 7/29/2019 to 6/17/2021
    Manager from 6/17/2021 to ???
    ManagerEmeritus from ??? to ???

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I approve. Haven�t read the app but who cares ecks dee.

+1

But seriously the app looks just fine.
    Decent player with a good history. Will check your notes later today.
    Last edited by Aceluke; 04-12-2019 at 09:36 PM. Reason: -1
    Characters
    Alex Rossfield - Marine Roles
    Luke Diamond - Captain
    Lukas - Synthetic
    Alex Rossfield
    CM History
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good looking app, not terrible answers, others seem to know you but honestly ive heard neither your marine name or ckey before (not necessarily a bad thing though). Old answers though so its about that time me thinks, a couple of extra situation questions for you:

1. A survivor upon being found by marines shortly after the marines deploy wordlessly starts assblasting wiping out a medic, spec and couple of PFCs with looted grenades, shotgun and flamer. After theyre put down by the rest of the marines the SL walks up and decaps the survivor. Who if anyone has done wrong in this situation and what?

2. Someone ahelps that a MP has stunbatoned them into crit, they admit that they resisted arrest but are claiming that the MP is abusing/beating them to death.

3. A player ahelps, constantly, alot of IC issues, very few actual problems.

Im already leaning towards +1 based off the current staff support but the app questions are ancient so we like to ask a couple questions as well, answer well and itll easily be a solid +1
    H'chak Best click clack.

Alice 'Snow' Falkner: The one TRUE snowflake.

Lurker 420 Points at the dank weeds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really good app, good behavior and you got support from the upstanding mods.

I am curious to see how you will respond to 420's questions so i will withhold my vote until you reply. But all in all, it is looking good for you.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good behaviour, check

Good answers check, check

Undying loyalty to me, check

For real though your answers are spot on barring the high command thing, never had any issues with you and you play often, definite +1 from me.
    Former member of the Commanders Council, PM me if you want help with making a whitelist or have a question.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 420M.Y.K View Post
    1. A survivor upon being found by marines shortly after the marines deploy wordlessly starts assblasting wiping out a medic, spec and couple of PFCs with looted grenades, shotgun and flamer. After theyre put down by the rest of the marines the SL walks up and decaps the survivor. Who if anyone has done wrong in this situation and what?

2. Someone ahelps that a MP has stunbatoned them into crit, they admit that they resisted arrest but are claiming that the MP is abusing/beating them to death.

3. A player ahelps, constantly, alot of IC issues, very few actual problems.
    1) Survivors are allowed to be hostile, but they must be hostile from the beginning and they must be overt about their hostility. Wordlessly assblasting marines wouldn't qualify as overt, and would be a failure to follow the survivor roleplay standards. There should at least be some attempt at conversation or stating your intentions before commencing the assblasting.

As for the SL, I assume by "put down" you mean they've been apprehended/subdued (no longer a threat), but not killed. For an SL to walk up and flat out decap the survivor is plain unnecessary. At that point, you're just denying the player a chance to enjoy their round (disregarding the errors made by the survivor - you don't fight grief with grief, the same thing applies here). Breaches in Rule 3, 4, and probably 14 from my standpoint.

If by "put down" you mean killed, and the SL is decapping them/denying them of a revive, that's also a blatant rulebreak.

2) Frankly, if you resist arrest, getting harmed via stunbaton is a very possible end result. I'd check the logs to make sure that the MP is using the stunbaton reasonably; if they are, I'd chalk it up to an IC issue. Per Arrest Procedure in ML, MPs are permitted to use non-lethals (i.e. stunbaton) on non-compliant suspects until they are neutralized/unable to resist.

If they're excessively harm-batoning or "beating them to death", the logs should show that fairly readily. If the MP were to, say, prod the marine and then switch to harm intent and get a handful of whacks in while they're down (as an example), that's pretty clearly excessive. If that were the case, I'd contact them and tell them to ease up. Obviously check note history and apply note, or job-ban if they have some bad MP notes.

3) First, I would provide a link to the Rules page and request that they read up in order to get a better understanding of what would constitute a rulebreak versus an IC issue. If they continued ahelping after that point and their ahelps still lacked substance, I'd then warn them to not send ahelps if they're unable to use the ahelp feature (for lack of a better word) properly. I'd either apply a note then, or if it continued after that point. My current understanding is that we're capable of muting/barring players from ahelping -- if that's the case, that would likely be the next step.

I really wouldn't want to deny a player the right to contact staff should they need assistance, but if they refuse to listen after repeated requests to cut out the bad ahelps, that might be the best temporary course of action. I would want to confer with my fellow staff before making a decision like that, however, and make sure that's the best solution available.
    Trial Moderator: 4/18/19 - 5/2/19 / Moderator: 5/3/19 - 10/1/19 / Senior Moderator: 10/2/19 - 12/26/19 / Trial Admin: 12/27/19 - 1/11/20 / Mod Manager: 1/12/20 - 4/18/20

Cerwick/Balakura/etc
    Discord: noah#7322

Former staff member and long-time CO Council member, now I just wave my boomer cane at people when I want something to complain about.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shit yea +1 my dude. Very nice well thought out answers
    H'chak Best click clack.

Alice 'Snow' Falkner: The one TRUE snowflake.

Lurker 420 Points at the dank weeds.