User Tag List

Thread: Sleepy Retard - Developer Application (Mapper)

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sleepy Retard - Developer Application (Mapper)

Developer Application
    Byond ID?
    Sleepy Retard

Age?

Gender?
    Male

How would you define yourself? (Coder, Mapper, Spriter):
    Mapper

If Coder, what languages?
    N/A

Any previous experience developing with SS13?
    I've done one or two commits to TGMC, that's pretty much it.

Proof of any previous or current work:
    LV:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

BIG RED:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

ALMAYER
    Spoiler Spoiler:

How well do you know Git?
    I know the basics of it, but fumble over it a lot. I've really only used it in the context of a single person project.

Your primary job is server development, not policing the server. You may be given Moderator-level of access but you should *not* be invoking any administrative actions unless there are no moderators or Admins online. Do you understand?
    Yes

Anything else you'd like to add?
    Personally, I'm mostly interested in applying to apply minor changes with convenience or balance in mind, after recommendation by a couple dev members.

I'm not really interested in designing huge, grandscale new things. I want to work on the small things, consistently pumping out these as needed, and generally maintaining and bug fixing maps.

I'm also a relatively OK spriter, but I personally feel like my style will not fit the direction that CM is currently going, so I don't think it's applicable.
    Last edited by Banned User ID63; 04-14-2019 at 07:19 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Sleepy, thanks for your application.
    Going to go ahead and start off with some questions.
    Obviously it's clear that you're interested in making several balance/QoL changes for various existing maps, which is nice. We definitely have a need for mappers that want to maintain current maps. My only concern with this is that while you want to dedicate to handling only small changes like the ones above, you'll quickly run out of things to do. Within the mapping team, you'd be expected to potentially handle more than just tweaking areas, working alongside the other members of the mapping team.
    How would you feel about creating nightmare inserts for other maps?
    How would you feel about working with other mappers in contributing towards new maps?
    In your opinion, what do you think is wrong with the current design for Ice Colony?
    Thanks.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cakey View Post
    Hey Sleepy, thanks for your application.
    Going to go ahead and start off with some questions.
    Obviously it's clear that you're interested in making several balance/QoL changes for various existing maps, which is nice. We definitely have a need for mappers that want to maintain current maps. My only concern with this is that while you want to dedicate to handling only small changes like the ones above, you'll quickly run out of things to do. Within the mapping team, you'd be expected to potentially handle more than just tweaking areas, working alongside the other members of the mapping team.
    How would you feel about creating nightmare inserts for other maps?
    How would you feel about working with other mappers in contributing towards new maps?
    In your opinion, what do you think is wrong with the current design for Ice Colony?
    Thanks.
    Nightmare inserts:

While I admit I am heavily biased against Nightmare as a system (as implemented with inserts, not as it's intended to be), I'm not really opposed to making inserts. I personally feel as if the ones currently in rotation on LV fail to serve any meaningful purpose besides making the gameplay worse, so I could give a crack at making inserts that are don't detract from the gameplay. Atmos swapping with the lake I have provided above could be one, and I think that would be a neat nightmare, without being a hindrance on gameplay.

Working with other mappers:

It depends. I'd definitely love to help balance out new maps, and figure out problem points with it, and ensuring the flow of gameplay was as palatable as possible. I feel like I could really help out with general ideas, and balancing within maps, something that Trijent needed from the start. It's pretty hard to properly implement a map's balance without stress testing it with a lot of people, but there are measures I could take with to make it stronger upon release. If applicable, or at all possible, with new maps I'd really want to take a chief interest on Hive locations and main supply routes. I can do details, fluff, whatever, but I feel like other mappers would have a more enjoyable time if someone worked out the nitty gritty gameplay balancing while they crafted a nice looking map, one to their eye's content, without being bogged down by balance. For example, I think Trijent is wonderfully sprited and designed, cosmetically, but from a balance perspective it's a bit of a hassle to do anything but meta rush. I also feel like xenos sort of have a hard time doing something that isn't making a hive in the purple research lab with yellow walls that I forgot the name of.

Basically, to sum it up, I have no issues working in a collaborative fashion as applying to a team would mean I would have to at some point - as long as I mostly focused on the balance and functionality. I don't have any problems with making things look pretty, or cosmetics, but I feel like I'd best be applied to making it work, rather than it look good, as I feel other mappers are more interesting in creating an engaging environment.

Ice:

I think Ice has many problems, but I'll quickly start with the shared problems between Marines and Xenos. I'll add fixes as well, but I think that's a little more than you're asking me, but I can't help it:

Spoiler Spoiler:

For marine specific issues:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

For xeno specific issues:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Sleepy,

Ill be a bit blunt and direct.
    Your app is a bit controversial.
    The main issues that have been brought up are: (not in any specific order.)
    1. A concern that development secrets will "somehow" end up in your discord.
    2. Your behavior in the cm discord.
    3. Your revolving door situation with the staff team.
    4. Your history with tgmc.
    5. Drama seems to always be near you.

Now, let me start by saying that I am going to assume number 2 will change if you are accepted.
    And that will not be an issue anymore after that?

Second, there was talk about number 4 and that has imo also been cleared up in a positive enough way.

So that leaves 3 major concerns.
    These are not my (personal) concerns but in general the things most likely to be discussed about your app when we discuss it.
    If needed I can expand a bit upon the above points.
    But I prefer to not bring up the specifics and assume that the above is at least understandable to you.
    Hence I hope my post can give you a chance to address these issues.

How to become senior dev.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awan View Post
    Hey Sleepy,

Ill be a bit blunt and direct.
    Your app is a bit controversial.
    The main issues that have been brought up are: (not in any specific order.)
    1. A concern that development secrets will "somehow" end up in your discord.
    2. Your behavior in the cm discord.
    3. Your revolving door situation with the staff team.
    4. Your history with tgmc.
    5. Drama seems to always be near you.

Now, let me start by saying that I am going to assume number 2 will change if you are accepted.
    And that will not be an issue anymore after that?

Second, there was talk about number 4 and that has imo also been cleared up in a positive enough way.

So that leaves 3 major concerns.
    These are not my (personal) concerns but in general the things most likely to be discussed about your app when we discuss it.
    If needed I can expand a bit upon the above points.
    But I prefer to not bring up the specifics and assume that the above is at least understandable to you.
    Hence I hope my post can give you a chance to address these issues.
    1: Nah. It's hard to leak dev stuff into my discord when several dev team members use it actively, it's not like it's something I plan on doing, and something I would manage to get away with either way if I wanted to. If I did, Dean would fire me before anyone else on the dev team could figure out why.

2: See thedonkified. Nothing else to say besides that. I have no problem not acting like a retard when needed.

3: Seems like a non issue. I've only been fired once, back in 2017, taken many extended leaves. Unless it's a crime to go on extended leave? Burning out is a huge issue with the staff team, and it's mandated that we take extended leaves instead of going inactive.

I simply took advantage of the system and used it as intended, going on extended leaves when I did not feel like I would best be a moderator, or really wanted to moderate. Again, this is exactly how the system was intended to be used, and I used it as such.

In regards to this and the dev team, I'd probably use it the same. When I cannot be fucked, or feel it's hard to continue without getting burned out, I fully plan on taking an extended leave. I do not want to be like the devs who stayed on the team for 9 months, but without actually being there. I think it's more honest and humble to say, hey, I need a break, I'll take extended leave rather than force myself to work, or to pump out low quality garbage instead.

4: I'm assuming that's already been cleared up, but I can expand on it. I personally know several staff members from TGMC, such as Rohesie and LaKiller. I think they're decent people. I don't think there's any bearing to this point besides I know people from another server. There is no connection to be made besides this, they did not leak the code, spread the leak of the code, they're using stole code - but they did nothing to get it in the first place. When I was staff there, I got express permission from Emerald Blood and SLC to head over for a while to help out.

I think this is funny this is a concern, though. It's my opinion that competition is inherently healthy, and TGMC shouldn't be looked upon as some sort of anti Christ. While I understand fully that DMCA did nothing to help their reputation, and that they were actively being toxic towards CM - TGMC really is just something different. They use stolen code, yes. I cannot deny that, but there's a point where you have to let that go.

5: What can I say besides that's correct? Cause never equals correlation, though. Just like when I was blamed for DDoSing the server, when the map changing failures began to happen, there's no substance to it. When I took my break earlier, I made a cryo thread with no details, besides telling the community good luck and have fun or whatever. There was drama, and my name was involved, but I didn't actively get involved.

Afterwards, several of my friends decided to get permabanned for dumb behaviour. Again, I did not. I might be near drama almost every single time it happens, but I'm not apart of it. I didn't start the last drama fiasco with Emerald Blood, nor did I take part it in. Again, I took a break at that point. Cause does not equal correlation.
    Last edited by Banned User ID63; 04-19-2019 at 05:17 PM.

Head Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sleepy,

After review of your application and the discussion on it provided in this thread by the team at our meeting today, we have decided to decline this application. Feel free to inquire via PM as to the reasons given.

Please feel free to reapply in six months' time.