User Tag List

Thread: The CM Weapon Triangle/Square

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The CM Weapon Triangle/Square

So I'm here to talk about the weapon Triangle/Square.

Key:

This --------> That | === | This effectively counters That
    This -----x----- That | === | This AND That are equal in power OR counter each other depending on the situation

So here is the what I have come up with:

Flamers ---x--- Everything except Ravagers | | | (This one is kind of like a neutral)
    Shotgunners -----> Melee Xenos
    Melee Xenos -----> Ranged Marines
    Ranged Marines -----> Ranged Xenos
    Ranged Xenos -----> Shotgunners
    Go back to the top

Flame:
    Flame is a VERY powerful tool against the xenos, but if you're trying to save a buddy that just got pounced ... wweeeeeell you're gonna have a hard time.
    Meanwhile, xenos can also catch you by surprise before you even get a chance to flame them.

Shotgun:
    So INCREDIBLY robust against melee xenos I cannot even BEGIN to tell you how ... just go find out for yourself.
    However, lack of range means spitters can just spit at you all day.

Melee Xenos:
    Very powerful against Ranged Marines due to their lack of stopping power.
    However, come up with a face full of buckshot and you can kiss your ass goodbye.

Ranged Marines:
    You out-range all the xenos, use this to your advantage. You effectively counter spitters trying to get you.
    Get pounced by a Melee xeno ... you're in trouble.

Ranged Xenos:
    Very powerful against Shotgun marines, as shotguns lack the range that you have.
    Going up against a marine with a rifle however, you may want to re-consider your plan of attack.
    Is an Ambidexterous marine and xeno main.

Anekcahap "Kneecap" Volkov
    Agent X41833N

"Some of the best words are never said, but are rather understood."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no triangle. No matter what you take, you will get gimped by xenos unless you have the correct macros set up or are good at the game. Ranged xenos will gimp you with neurospit or sudden wide boiler clouds, melee xenos will bop in and out and take your arm off, it makes no difference.

There are only three good weapons to take as a non-spec. One is a buckshot shotgun. The second is a qf/eb AP-loaded carbine. The third is a charger/rds/vgtrip AP rifle. Anything else is sub-optimal, unless it's a rail light rifle.
    Last edited by Chaznoodles; 04-17-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There isn't really a counter to boilers. The gas clouds spread too far and is too lethal, and in a typical FOB or corridor your only choice is to back off or retreat. In wide open situations, like LV bridge, you frequently end up with an unfun and boring standoff where boilers gas the bridge continually so marines don't have much opportunity to take pot shots until the fog is gone. They can only be reliably overcome by a marine push. If marines are on the defensive, however, you're unlikely to have the space to find a line on a boiler or have the manpower to push back out. Boilers are the reason I tend to play ship roles more often, it just sucks to have a large group of marines neutralized by one or two xeno players. Spitters are fair, at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly if the boiler gets close enough to the front that they can be seen in a miniacope than a grenadiers spec or SADAR can quite effectively take it out, but otherwise they are pretty invincible if they got good protectors

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once shot a AT Rocket at an too forward Boiler and it survived a direct hit, so I don't know.

Boilers are really obnoxious but a necessary component to Xenos it seems. At the very least I'd prefer if there were not so deadly in FoBs, maybe cades should slightly slow the boiler gas movement.

I just don't like Boilers.
    This is war, survival is your responsibility
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Synthetic: Nicholas
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelpoint View Post
    I once shot a AT Rocket at an too forward Boiler and it survived a direct hit, so I don't know.

Boilers are really obnoxious but a necessary component to Xenos it seems. At the very least I'd prefer if there were not so deadly in FoBs, maybe cades should slightly slow the boiler gas movement.

I just don't like Boilers.
    I have to agree, boilers are what made FOB defense the most boring and pointless thing in the entire game. Not even the best FOBs can stand up against a half-decent boiler, because the gas recharges too quickly for the marines to organize a counter-push. So most marines just retreat and leave on the dropship instead of defending, because it's pointless.

If nothing else, I wish there was a better way for marines to counter boiler gas. Gas masks do little to stop it, and they limit your view. Maybe caustic armor plates or something. Or just make cades more resistant to boiler gas. Or make them limit the size of the cloud.