Byond ID?
    Soundwavesghost

CM Character?
    Paul Cullars

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    GMT -5

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    Was a mentor on AVA's Battleground followed it along in its next two iterations as mentor due to understanding the surgery system.

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    VG Station (Chef & Russian Mommi), Baystation 12 (random), Bad Deathclaw (medic, borg), Goon (Radio, QM, Blob if possible)

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made
    Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    Not to my knowledge.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    Not to my knowledge.

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Yes

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    Check if the player has a record of purposeful behavior, while waiting for that popup go ahead and bwoink him to find out his side of the story. If it was a accident let the MPs know to go easy and slap on the wrist. Otherwise long jail time or perhaps a kick/ban.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    Get the full story from each player. Check the logs and create a decision. The whitelisted player will be the one of the two to get a note on their file for misconduct due to their higher degree of responsibility as a whitelisted player.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    If no player has noticed to help them IC, Bwoink them to ask if they need help getting started. If possible spawn in a drill sergent to lead them through setup or just talk them through it.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    Note that he is very argumentative and contact a higher admin level. He has the right to ask for a higher ruling, but his attitude should be noted especially if I was being calm and kind during our exchange.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    Usually Bwoink and inform the player that next round he will need to pick a more 'real' name due to server rules. Flag his file in case he's being a meme-lord but give him the chance to change it.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    Bwoink and remind him of the threat level and if he ignores it send a MP his way.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    Let the marine know the survivor is allowed to be hostile to the marines and review the logs. If no warning was given IC note the survivors file for a possible future survivor ban.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    Verify with MP and if possible cargo. Stealing isn't a permanent offense unless the player also opened fire or something worse. Update the player and hopefully have the MP's lower his punishment accordingly or not the marine's file.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    Marines: Request status update via fax. Inform them that a synth kill team has been sent to clear the planet and ship since the ship was assumed infected unless the marines can get the planet clear in X amount of time for command to send the recall order.
    Aliens: Queen Mother tells the lost brood that they are to scout the tall hosts lair and take out their tallest. The one to take our their Queen Mother aka Captain will become the new hives mother.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    IC: Complain to squad and command.
    Mentor: Bwoink the player and find out if he is doing it on purpose or is a idiot. If on purpose flag a higher admin to help so you don't insert personal frustration IC to the issue.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    Let them know that since they were enemy factions it is allowed by the rules as written. I would then follow up with, "But yeah it was a dick move, and a war crime."

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    Alert the MP players via IC means. Then respond to the player stating they need to call the MPs as that is exactly their job, but if it continues and none show up don't hesitate to ahelp again.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Alert the overly esculating marine that they escalated the situation far beyond what was necessary. If they were still on ship flag the MPs that there was a murder.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    Alert the would be mutineers that they have not followed the proper procedure and the admins will hand out flags and possible bans for carrying forward without approval.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    Remind the originator of rule 3 and 4. And that while the comment/jokes might be funny to some but they should be more mindful to not get a ban over a joke that was only fun for 3 seconds versus playing a fun game for 2 hours.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Check the logs and slap a 24hr ban on the player, put a note on his log and pass that name up the chain for higher hopefully bans. Then partially aheal the downed marines to just in crit so they can be saved by the medics and have the round carry on.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Watch for a second to see if they are lost or griefing the alien faction by denying them a larva. If they are griefing bwoink them to let them know you saw that, note their file and either a 24hr ban or Alien play ban them for 24hr.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    Subtle whisper to the Queen to address that IC. If the behavior continues note their file for alien ban and bwoink them with a heads up they are breaking rule 3&4 of the server rules which if this carries on will land them in ban territory.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    Reply with, "While that may be true its not strickly against the rule. Best thing to do is continue to call it the metal bird and ignore or act confused at the other players word for it. "

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    Reply: "I did not notice that I'll let them know to be more careful in the future."
    Offender: "Heads up you mentioned Aliens being on the planet BEFORE you sent folks down there. That is meta knowledge and if it occurs again before learning it IC can or will lead to white-list revocation or job-bans.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    Let him know that killing them himself was not something a marine would do. A coward would have shoved them out and knocked them down and locked the door behind them. Let him know that broke Server rule 3 and 4 and they'll be taking a 24hr break.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    Ignore it for the most part, just keep a eye out for if they start breaking server rules on speech and if they do flag another admin as you don't want to get into a conflict of interest fight that no one wins.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    Apologize if he was on the planet but the aliens captured him from his fellow marines its a legit capture.
    IF feed to the aliens by a researcher on the ship: Apologize and let them know you are flagging/talking to the researcher as that was against rule 3 but they can not be admin healed in this instance.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    Ask them about their ruling in private pms or discord. Don't fight in front of the kids so to speak.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    In a private setting, discord, as a group discuss it. If the majority agree ask the team lead if in this case the punishment can be lessened to comprise.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    On Ava's it was to get more people comfortable playing the harder jobs. But on CM even the easy job marine has alot going on so I'd love to stop future Sseth's from having a negative opinion on a game because this server doesn't have enough folks to help out. Also I really really want to reply to CL faxes to see what hoops I can get one to jump through.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Following the rules with empathy, accidents happen.

Anything else you
    I've enjoyed CM-SS13 for many years ( joined the old forums on 20 Aug 2015 but was playing off and on since the beginning), seen some good folks come and go during those times. Even if I don't get approved I'll still be here enjoying the zaniest war crime simulator in the world.
    Last edited by soundwavesghost; 04-18-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So going over your overall application

You seem to average about 20 hours a month in the last 3 months which averages out to about 5 hours a week. Grimcad usually requires our moderators to give at least 7 hours a week.

You have no notes or jobbans.

However I am going to go over some of your answers:

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    Check if the player has a record of purposeful behavior, while waiting for that popup go ahead and bwoink him to find out his side of the story. If it was a accident let the MPs know to go easy and slap on the wrist. Otherwise long jail time or perhaps a kick/ban.

-As a moderator you shouldn't be influencing a MP's decision if they are handling an issue as IC. You're right to determine if it was an accident or intentional shooting.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    Get the full story from each player. Check the logs and create a decision. The whitelisted player will be the one of the two to get a note on their file for misconduct due to their higher degree of responsibility as a whitelisted player.

-A moderator cannot sanction a whitelisted player unless they outright break a SERVER RULE, and not a guideline/honor code violation. You can investigate it, but at the most you tell the victim information on how to file a report if they indeed broke a WL guideline/code

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    If no player has noticed to help them IC, Bwoink them to ask if they need help getting started. If possible spawn in a drill sergent to lead them through setup or just talk them through it.

-You're thinking like an admin, the most you can do is send a mentor their way, or help them through PMs.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    Note that he is very argumentative and contact a higher admin level. He has the right to ask for a higher ruling, but his attitude should be noted especially if I was being calm and kind during our exchange.

-A player being a jerk has no right to an admin+, you're the one handling it. You can ask an admin, but it's not required.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    Bwoink and remind him of the threat level and if he ignores it send a MP his way.

-Yes you can remind them, but this is an IC issue, and you should not be influencing the round by sending an MP his way.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    Alert the MP players via IC means. Then respond to the player stating they need to call the MPs as that is exactly their job, but if it continues and none show up don't hesitate to ahelp again.

-Round start shenangians is a rule violation, not an IC matter.

Overall from your application, I think you're trying to keep things IC and some of your responses to these questions seem to be more influencing.
    However overall, I think we could hammer out the issues with a trial.

I am going to remain neutral pending more feedback from other staff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I forget about the forum appeal system to be honest as I try to behave. I do tend to want to keep things IC to hopefully (often foolishly hopeful) to not interupt the fun of the whole group.

My thing about the argumentive player was form my time in Ava/NML where I was a Mentor with no real powers besides Aghosting and replying to Ahelps so to really resolve things I had ask for a more powerful person to step in.

Honestly wasn't aware that the round start stuff wasn't IC as what little I've seen usually had MPs ontop of the issue like fleas.

In any case thanks for the review.

Manager Emeritus & System Administrator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While these answers aren't terrible, and I am in agreement with everything ThesoldierLLJK has said, I can't say the answers are quite up to par in several cases. While I'm not opposed to this application, I also do not feel I can quite support it at this time. I'd personally like to see more play time, and a reapplication after some time has passed.
    TrialModerator from 12/15/2018 to 12/29/2018
    Moderator from 12/29/2018 to 6/29/2019
    TrialAdmin from 6/29/2019 to 7/29/2019
    Admin from 7/29/2019 to 6/17/2021
    Manager from 6/17/2021 to ???
    ManagerEmeritus from ??? to ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by soundwavesghost View Post
    Thanks for the info. I forget about the forum appeal system to be honest as I try to behave. I do tend to want to keep things IC to hopefully (often foolishly hopeful) to not interupt the fun of the whole group.

My thing about the argumentive player was form my time in Ava/NML where I was a Mentor with no real powers besides Aghosting and replying to Ahelps so to really resolve things I had ask for a more powerful person to step in.

Honestly wasn't aware that the round start stuff wasn't IC as what little I've seen usually had MPs ontop of the issue like fleas.

In any case thanks for the review.
    As a moderator a large part is being the one to put down the law when rules are broken, IC/OOC distinction must be broken and rules upheld regardless of fun. If people are breaking rules, which we have setup to preserve fun then it's ruining the round for others and ruining fun. But I will say that along with the others, your answers are subpar and lacking, with our number of mods we are looking for higher quality for our mods, and myself I am strict when it comes to +1'ing. So unless there's some strong evidence or questions asked that change my feeling I will have to remain a -1/neutral.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had assumed there was a large loss of Mentor level folks due to the ads in the game itself. I don't really want to be an admin, just wanted to help out the Mentor core.

Didn't read any apps before sending my own, and really should have as mine is more pacifistic compared to the server's current direction. Not leaving, but I'm obviously not admin material. I'll stick to helping with LOOC and playing support roles.

Two for two app fail there is a lesson in there somewhere. heh. Please send this one on to the trash heap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cooler heads previail and all that. But if the app isn't scrapped it'd be 5 hrs minimum per week I could be on. Though average is skewed on saturday.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These answers aren't terrible, they aren't perfect either. However I feel you could possibly learn the job.

I have a few questions I'd like you to answer.

You notice that a fellow moderator gave out wrong information to a player, what do you do?

You've made a big mistake on the server and a player says they will report you. What do you do?

Finally: What qualities do you think are important to have as a moderator when you are moderating the game? What are qualities you shouldn't have? How should you act on discord and on the forums if you are a moderator?

Regarding the 5 hour thing. All moderators have to serve 24 hours a month minimum (case by case basis however). Typically there's about 4 weeks and some change in a month. We all get burnt out and 5 hours might not be enough when you do get burnt out. That's my biggest concern here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by starmute View Post
    You notice that a fellow moderator gave out wrong information to a player, what do you do?
    This is one of our questions already.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daturix View Post
    This is one of our questions already.
    Oof I'm a nerd forgot about that one, was basing questions on real life occurrences.