User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Close Air Support HELL and the Joint Terminal Attack Controller (J-TAC)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cool The Close Air Support HELL and the Joint Terminal Attack Controller (J-TAC)

Post your though about CAS pilots and the J-TAC people and why 60% of the times IT'S HELL to make it work DECENTLY.
    and i returned, and left. and returned again 19/06/2022, this is my life now.

Former Moderator Trainer. If you have any questions regarding Moderation Duties, feel free to DM me: Hunk1#9842

A bigger truth has never been spoken.

Props to nanu for the picture.

My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually because either the pilot is big dumb or the people who laze do it in obvious places allowing benos to meta big time

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asian_047 View Post
    Usually because either the pilot is big dumb or the people who laze do it in obvious places allowing benos to meta big time
    I see a lot of Pilots using direct fire when they should only use Firemissions.

Former Moderator Trainer. If you have any questions regarding Moderation Duties, feel free to DM me: Hunk1#9842

My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

The Helllbanian CO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CAS needs a procedure;

1. Observer spots the target and calls for CAS
    2. Cas pilot maintains readiness and launches when called.
    3. After aproximately 10 seconds CAS should be in the air and ready to fire. Pilot should announce this in JTAC channel that they are in the air.
    4. Observer now puts down the laze and calls in the fire mission.
    5. CAS pilot fires as soon as Laze is visible in the right iffsets as told.

Its inportant to be synchronized, focused and competent at it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbs View Post
    CAS needs a procedure;

1. Observer spots the target and calls for CAS
    2. Cas pilot maintains readiness and launches when called.
    3. After aproximately 10 seconds CAS should be in the air and ready to fire. Pilot should announce this in JTAC channel that they are in the air.
    4. Observer now puts down the laze and calls in the fire mission.
    5. CAS pilot fires as soon as Laze is visible in the right iffsets as told.

Its inportant to be synchronized, focused and competent at it.
    I would insert one more step.
    Step 3.5: Tell CAS pilot the direction and offset of attack before lasing.

This is how i keep up. People that tell directions after lasing always blame CAS pilot for not being fast enough.

My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The CAS pilots have been pretty decent lately. At least on the rounds I JTAC, there's usually an experienced player POing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most CAS fails because the laser is obvious and is visible forever.

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a number of good lases lost because someone pushed/shuffled/shot the JTAC operator just before the dropship was fully committed to the strike. What a lot of people don't seem to realize or remember (which some benos do know and remember) is that a Fire Mission requires the lase to hold up until the moment the sonic boom starts or the fire mission doesn't start.

I've had rounds where it seemed like the Xenos started targeting anyone that might be lasing (spinning progress bar overhead, no weapon or obvious materials in hand, not facing a wounded Marine) with stuns or delimbs before running off explicitly to kill lases. It's frustrating as hell and the only way to avoid this is for the JTAC Operators to avoid being directly at the front, while everyone else has to make a point not to bump them in any way.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shitty JTACs are definitely the bigger problem here. If you have a responsive PO (ie, listening and actively communicating on radio) with a decent load out and basic understanding of fire missions, then you have practically nothing to worry about on that end.

The worst is when you're making good lases, and you have two or three other JTACs on the channel stealing your CAS runs, miscommunicating, and scaring xenos off from your lases with their shitty ones.

the biggest things JTACs could do to improve their performance:

- Lase from one side with maximum offset; or lase short from an angle where terrain blocks alien line of sight from the dot. Only lase for offset down the middle if it's a long, narrow, CASable chokepoint such as certain caves on Big Red. Also offset slightly behind where you want to hit to account for the time where they can hear the dropship coming and start to retreat.
    - SIGNAL FLARES. Above all else, I'd love for these to start getting some more love. When you're holding a line or pushing a chokepoint, toss them in at a good angle. It's a 2 click lase that isn't necessarily obvious, and doesnt rely on you standing still. You can actively fight as you're waiting for CAS to come in, and you can help follow up on CAS stuns once it hits. You get 10 of these in a JTAC kit, so you can afford to be wasteful with them. The only time I give my binoculars a lot of use is during long, protracted FOB defenses (or chokepoints the xenos know well themselves, such as LV bridge), or during slower pushes where I need a creative angle that would expose me a lot of danger if I had to put a flare down over there. (Quick edit: label your fucking flares.)

Wiki Maintainer Emeritus Sargeantmuffinman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please remember, close air support isn't always in the air. Be patient.
    George S.Patton once said: No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

Good hunting.

Staff from 16 May 2016 to 10th September 2021.