User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change how the game starts for Marines?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Change how the game starts for Marines?

I've been thinking about this for a while now, and so thought I'd register and fire it up to watch it get shouted at.

We wake up, go to the canteen, get our food, go get our gear, and whatever else we need to do, then go brief, which usually takes quite a bit of time due to Req, etc.

It strikes me that this is all a bit backwards and also has (Purely guessing here) unnecessary impact on the server due to all the items generated that are just fluff items ultimately (food trays, etc), plus wastes a bit of time in what already tends to be quite long rounds.

In the movie (I know, this server doesn't adhere strictly to the canon), they brief in their working gear - coveralls, t-shirts, etc. They get their brief, they know what they're setting out to achieve and so they go and kit out appropriately. Certainly when I was deployed on Telic & Herrick as part of the British army, we rarely briefed in full gear if you were in the main operating base, you'd just be in your CS-95 working dress for comfort.

So I know it's for the RP aspect of it, but if on game start we all found ourselves sat in the briefing hall in marine coveralls or whatever fluff we've picked from the character set up, it'd let the briefing be done and dusted, and then everyone is free to go and get their gear - selecting the appropriate kit for the task at hand. It'd get rid of the (what I personally feel is) pointless wake up and feed routine which I've done hundreds of times now and I don't believe it brings anything to the party except a time sink and cluttering the server with debris that (I'm guessing) impacts on performance.

Basically, it'd get us into the fight quicker. Perhaps to support this change, the initial Xeno evolve speed would need to be adjusted for the first level or something, or let them pick to start as a Runner, Drone, etc, and balance out the evolve speed appropriately from there.

Just an idea, love the server, one day I'll actually be half good at this.

ETA: Or even start everyone in the canteen, fully fed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that the whole gearing up thing is to slow the game start for xenos a little.

I do think it would be better for everyone if they started up fed with basic clothing at least. Adding a tedious roundstart isn't really needed if we have artifical dropship timer locks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to consider every part of the setup.

Marines only waking up and gearing gives a few minutes for Req to prepare, medbay to get things going, so on and so forth.

And it does give marines something, even if very menial, to do while waiting for the roundstart proper.
    Tyson 'Bunny' Sphere

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    marines should just start in an all out brawl, last squad standing gets first crack at gearing up and req

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the length of time is an issue. Gives everyone time to setup.

However the idea of changing the order might be interesting.. If everyone woke up and you did the briefing during breakfast? Then everyone could go get mission appropriate gear afterward?

Might have to extend how long it takes to do breakfast... and make one large cafeteria instead of two?

The current system isnt bad though.

My biggest complaint is still the RO line, and it's because I have to wait in it to get 2 items. (Not sure why things like the submachingun arm aren't available for medics for example but the gyro is.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, briefing first is something good to do once in a while, especially when you need bigger setups and stress more coordination. Personally never got to set this up myeslf but be nice for it to happen - and not be in a rush to get to the DS with half ammo or no early FOB Mats on the Alamo.

Req could get a line and tech for each squad but, that is a wait and see kind of thing

As always with things like this, its up to the patience and willingness of the playercount in the round. Events usually help these kind of experiments, though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some CO's should try rushing an announcement telling marines to skip breakfast and get their briefing done asap. Just to try it. Feed the marines some bullshit about the mission being something different just to attract more attention. I know mechanically the game doesn't work great for this, but a smart CO could make this work.

Announce rapidly for marines to skip food and dress up and get to briefing. Grab your Ipad and make a second one ASAP, and a third one ASAP. have a 12:05 briefing with something pre-typed. Force req to stay closed. MP's keep it empty. You could do it probably. Then send everyone to get fed and clothed after the briefing.

Could totally make this work on a good enough pop that has MP's
    Chen "Disco" West, Proud recipient of the "Realest Nigga on the Bloc" Award.
    My Dossier, it's good. Trust me. Read it.
    Secondary Objective: Stay Safe, Stick Together, Kick the ass of anything that might need an ass kicking. If you find any booze bring it up to CIC for me please.
    Not everyone who lost their life on Space Nam' died there. Not everyone who came home from Space Nam' ever left there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the eating and dressing is important.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine that every marine goes naked to brief

Mentioned