User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Perhaps it's time to talk about Lurkers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps it's time to talk about Lurkers.

I will share my personal opinions when it comes to Lurkers and their balance and what could be done to address the problems I see with the caste!

So, Lurkers have been at the top of every Cast Tier list ever made and for good reason. They are insanely fast, have a lot of health, deal a lot of damage, can stun lock 2+ people reliably with their pounce and good disarm chance.
    They can also go invisible, which is more or less useful depending on what tile they are standing on. On LV grass for example a Lurker is almost impossible to spot unless you are specifically looking for him.
    Now my problem with Lurkers is just how good they are, they are so good they make most other castes obsolete. They are supposed to be an ambush caste but they work just as well in direct combat. A robust lurker can single-handedly wipe out an entire squad.
    And since they are not a T3 you can have 8+ Lurkers in a Hive. If one robust Lurker can take out an entire Squad, then two or three robust Lurkers together can basically kill the entire Marine force.
    The counter play is supposed to be just sticking together and not running around alone. But this only even really works if the Lurker is bald enough to pounce.

Now here are some ideas to make them a little bit more balanced:

• The pounce is insanely good because the stun is about as long as the cooldown which means you can stunlock Marines. Robust Lurkers, will move off a pounce stunned Marine as quickly as possible so they can walk back and forth, making themselves a much harder target to hit while slashing at the same time.
      This technique allows Lurkers to harass even groups of Marines if their spacing isn't absolutely perfect and they all have buckshot.

My solution would be to remove the pounce stun from Marines as soon as a Lurker decides to move off of the Marines Tile.

• Speed, tackle chance and damage!
      Truth is that good Lurkers don't even need the pounce. Lurkers have very good tackle RNG and even without tackle a Lurker has enough health, speed and damage, to just get directly in Marines faces.
      They are arguably BETTER at direct engagements than their T3 brother the Ravager. Because they are faster, harder to hit and have "almost" the same damage anyways.

My solution to Lurkers going to toe to toe with entire squads in open combat would be to make them slightly slower at all ages! Especially with Frenzy a Lurker starts to move at Ancient Runner speeds. If they were slower it would be easier to hit them and a Lurker would think twice of just engaging multiple Marines head on and hopefully this would lead to Lurkers once again becoming more of an Ambush caste.

I would really like to see some changes like that, especially to the pounce!
    It's getting kind of boring to always play a Lurker because it's just all the positives of the other Castes with literally no weakness. There is nothing a Lurker is bad at and it shows with single Lurkers decimating half the Marine force without them being able to really do anything against it besides having a robust Sadar player or getting a lucky Slug hit for a short stun and getting lucky enough for two people to simultaneously burst the Lurker during the stun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea of making the Lurker's stun from a pounce disappear when it moves does seem appealing. It would retain its strength in stunning a target, retain its extreme strength against solo target but also make frontline pouncing less viable since if you are forced to move your target will be back on their feet.

But otherwise, all xenos are kinda annoying to deal with, the best tactic is to be in large groups and hope your allies don't shoot you too much.
    This is war, survival is your responsibility
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Synthetic: Nicholas
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These changes would be mostly to get the Lurker back under control. Lurkers are just so good in every situation that they have no niche. They are a default pick if you just want to win instead of being situational like almost every other caste.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea IMO. Post to gitlab once a significant amount of people see this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah lurkers are pain, even in large groups. The only way to catch it is to wait for a pounce on a marine near your position so you can run and PB it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckenshutze View Post
    Yeah lurkers are pain, even in large groups. The only way to catch it is to wait for a pounce on a marine near your position so you can run and PB it
    The problem is that robust Lurkers will often never pounce because they know they will get PB'd. So instead they run back and forth slashing people. Since the directional slashing has been introduced this is easier than ever, and after 4 slashes you will most likely land in paincrit.
    Thats the reason I suggested the lowering of the overall movement speed as well.

The Lurker was supposed to be an ambush caste. And it still is an ambush caste, but it works just as well in all other aspects, ambushing is not actually necessary.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will never stop complaining about two slashes from a Lurker causing me to suffer a fracture. Infinite fractures are gosh darn annoying to deal with.
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >tackle
    I don't think tackle is any good, but I don't use it so I might be wrong about that, it just feels stupid to spam it when it fails 75% of the time.

>lots of health
    Not really.. As ancient was made to not grant any stats, even ancient lurkers can get critted by 1 PB now. Also lots of marines run around with AP these days. I won't say how many shots it takes to crit a lurker with the average weapon but it's not more than 5. Also bluefire kills you in moments after the recent buff memes.

>lot of damage
    I need to deliver around 10 hits to disable someone, they usually get carted back to medics and go on as normal after a few minutes. If I get hit by 1 PB while trying to land all those hits, it's over.

>ravagers
    They do have more health, armor, damage, delimbs and fire immunity. Since they lack speed and stealth, they dont fit my playstyle.

>Lurkers going to toe to toe with entire squads
    This doesn't really match my experience. Maybe the squad you saw just sucks? The closest I encounter is when I get behind a caverush and the baldies are abandoned there, passing out from bloodloss and I put them down after killing the one medic with them.

>pounce
    Keep in mind that pounce stuns the lurker too for a bit, this is why lurkers are most effective against solo marines.

>two or three robust Lurkers together can basically kill the entire Marine force.
    this is your brain on crayons

How to counter lurkers:
    - dont be alone
    - dont be cut off from your squad medic

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being in a squad is not guarantee, I was in the middle of a squad of Marines and a Lurker was successful in charging me, slashing my chest to a fracture, and escaping successfully.

Lurkers are a real jack of all trades, master of most, class. Its billed as a ambusher but its very well suited for frontline combat in such a overtly aggressive manner that it's more akin to a Ravager or other frontliners.
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelpoint View Post
    Being in a squad is not guarantee, I was in the middle of a squad of Marines and a Lurker was successful in charging me, slashing my chest to a fracture, and escaping successfully.

Lurkers are a real jack of all trades, master of most, class. Its billed as a ambusher but its very well suited for frontline combat in such a overtly aggressive manner that it's more akin to a Ravager or other frontliners.
    Well, my suggestion was not a "guarantee" for not getting hit, it was one for surviving. In my opinion rounds involve lots of engagements and fighting.. and that's good. But sadly as the game has a big RNG element, stuff that feels like bullshit can happen (quick fractures and delimbs.. marines who refuse to wear helmets need not speak up).