User Tag List

Thread: My Take On Marine Operational Weakness

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Take On Marine Operational Weakness

So I essentially skimmed the titles of the forum discussions as well as Discord and Dchat on how to improve the marines by buffing them or nerfing xenos and seeing most of these topics concentrated on the gears and stats of each individual characters themselves. However, I tend to find that one aspect of the marines operation weakness is overlooked, which I like to call it CIC Weakness.

CIC Weakness
    Many of the new implemented features and buffs for marines plays only one part of the role in Marine Operational Success. However, often seen this tends to be flawed if the marine force is over-reliant on individual prowless as opposed to actual cohesive unit attack all the way up to the top chain of command. Many look up to their SL or aSL for guidance (including their Specs & Vet Players) as opposed to most in command, with exception of people like Bill Carson and Tom Dinkle.

CIC Weakness tend to generate:
    • Lack of Cohesion and Coordination
    • Lack of Information due to Information distributed and given
    • Lack of Leadership Ability (Obviously)
    • Delayed Action, Information & Orders

I often said to my xeno friends & Dchat that no buff can save the marines from their defeat, and in most cases this can be true because the marines often have this weakness easily abused that you can't really call meta. To prove my point, refer back to the days Stat Mutators got removed, xenos were struggling to get used to the new gameflow at first but eventually they got hold of it and increased the xeno win ratio. (Remember, this is after marines got a HUGE attachies buff and eventually got further buffs)

Why? Marines had numbers and each numbers have their individual prowless and robust plays, how can xenos make a turnaround? The answer? CIC Weakness. (Except of Grenade FF which is another reason)

Illustration of Communication Flow
    To make a simple illustration, I will first compare the communication flow of the Xeno Hivemind and Marine Radio Comms.

For a xeno to give orders and distribute information, their flow would be something like this:
    Queen Overwatching Xeno/Xeno Report (Roughly 10 seconds to see and verify)
    > Check Minimap (Optional, 5 seconds)
    > Give Order/Distribute Information via Word of Queen or Normal Chat (5-10 seconds depending on length of message and player's typing speed)

Total Time : 20 Seconds at least

Simple right? But for a Marine to communicate and distribute/order, here is how it is:

>Marines Reporting an Incident + Verifying (45 Seconds, simply because on Lowpop and lack of CIC staff you have to run to the individual consoles to confirm and you gotta type. In actual battle cases, when you are engaged in combat, you will receive multiple reports and you have to check the status of each squads to make a decision. Even if you have SO this problem stays because you have to wait for the SO to verify and inform the aCO or CO. Time actually varies depending on CIC skill so we put 45 seconds as an average)
    >Making your decision and assessing the mini map (Let's make it 10 seconds)
    >Giving Orders Via Announcement & Intel Distribution (Assuming you Do Both which composes a lengthly announcement and adding your RP style like Heinz or Juro, 20 seconds)
    >Nag the orders, nag nag and nag (Unlike the Hivemind where word of the Queen is law, you don't get the luxury here in the USCM. Simply put, there is a sense of decentralised command system in place here that allows some form of liberty in making your own decisions depending on the tactical advantage or sense or the current urgency of the situation making it impossible for the squad to follow the orders, hence the CIC has to coordinate a rescue or some form of assistance that takes additional time. But this can vary by many factors so let's put it at 20 seconds assuming no one argues. Of course xenos can also disobey but that is rarer than marines simply because of Queen Mother's wrath.)
    >Groundside Information/Order Distribution and Squad Rallying (It is not enough to just nag, you have to wait for the squad to rally and assemble to get ready for any action. 30 seconds)
    >Actual Execution (SL or aSL giving orders to execute like Unga or Retreat. 10 seconds)

Total Time: 135 Seconds or 2 Minutes 15 Seconds just to get something done. This number varies greatly, especially on how good CIC is.

I would like to remind everyone in 2 minutes many things can happen and this is a somewhat textbook situation. Many factors can add up during this time or could also otherwise delay the situation further. In a more summary list, the main features would be:

1. Requisitions, you have to channel comms and nag and chase for Req for their supplies which take time
    2. Coordinates and Laze for CAS for heavy hitting with take further time, even more so when you struggle to do it while CAS is in flight and/or getting OB console
    3. Groundside Situation, during the course of it all you have marines caught out of position, numbers picked/wounded, Queen screeching and taking a bulk of your forces, etc.
    4. Groundside Strength, how many wounded and critically wounded, how many with ammo? What is squad's positioning and time taken to reposition and reorder and rerally
    5. DEFCON reinforcements, time taken to wait and deploy
    6. Comm chatter, resolving arguments or fights over FF, additional situations being reported and transfered, marines engaging
    7. Time taken for SOs to understand the situation and relay
    8. Backline Harassments, Flanks, sudden Xeno push not previously reported.

Imagine how much time is it to get your order out, distribute information, get information with all of that.

Situational Abuse of CIC Weakness
    Because this is a tug of war situation, as said, the flow of the battle can change quickly. Inexperienced CIC roles, especially when hesitant, can cause delays as they assess the situation and give orders. Bad orders can set marines back and incomplete orders can delay the situation to enemy advantage.

Now remember what I said that being reliant of individual prowless is a flawed concept? Well let's put it simply. One marine with good gear charging alone by being baited or out-maneuvered with xenos quickly reinforcing the area with additional forces is good as dead. To prevent that, you have to literally communicate which takes time and depends on the tasklists in CIC. Outplaying Marines is one of the key things xenos need to do to ensure success.

Now to further elaborate my point, I take you to how I usually play Xeno Queen. By analysis I have formulated a strategy for xeno win that should work no matter what buffs you give the marines. This was formed to counter the known metarushes to stat mutators at the time as well as really amazing robust marines plays. That is to turn the marines against each other. The primary objective to achieve this are:

• Cause marines to FF each other by shooting/nading them, literally scare them to do it. (Of course I have to nag the hive to be incredibly defensive and on when to push)
    • Jam their communications with mindless ramblings by creating a lot of situations, by suddenly attacking, suddenly withdrawing, skirmishing, building. (You create so many things to report that you jam it up along with call for wounded, etc.)
    • Create Confusion (being very fluid with your methods and thanks to how Queen's order is law, you can execute tactics very easily by taking advantage of the situation you created above. Eventually command has so little time to think and properly assess the ever changing groundside situation that their orders cannot be accurately given)

There are many ways to execute these objectives but these are what you should achieve. You turn the marines against each other by guns, by mind, and by word. You render their ability to use OP guns fully with cohesion near useless. And thanks to the really long delay given how CIC is equipped as shown in the flow, it is REALLY HARD TO DO ANYTHING if you execute it well. I get a lot of Xeno win and successes even if I died as queen that one round, wiping out the Specs and close to 75% of marine forces giving way to xeno win after 1 and a half hours later for my successor.

Since you can't rambo in this game, it's hard (Unless you are like John Murray), you are heavily reliant on a team. And the team coordination can be utterly destroyed by exposing the very obvious weakspot of the marines. (Which is why I get discouraged to play any CIC roles after the Sseth tide unless it's a joke character)

And it cant be meta since 1. You know Tallhosts can spit each other unlike Xenos and 2. Marines visibly communicates verbally through radio. So you just assume they have a Hivemind of their own and play against the Hivemind.

Further CIC Weakness in Community
    The Balder CIC is, along with the SL/aSL, the easier it is to expose it. However, with some players' philosophy of command emphasising centralisation of command, and some arguing that SLs should have decentralised command, you create this barrier to overcome that makes it hard to command. This is further evidenced by rule clarification section on SLs disobeying Command orders here: //showthrea...on-Update-2019

Some CIC players make the mistake of not being the information broker for groundside marines, being a pure strategist and tactician instead. It's called Command Information Centre, clue's in the name.

The only way I can see it being resolved is to have a one Chad Alpha Male CO or aCO where their orders given are able to be followed without question, that the USCM trust them with their lives and execute them with great competence. So far I have only seen 2 COs do that, namely:
    • Bill Carson
    • Tom Dinkle

Allow me to say you need not be good, you need to be good and IMPRESSIVE. Bill Carson and Tom Dinkle lost their rounds before, people still love following their orders. You have to make a good impression on people.

The Take
    My take on this is that while there is great emphasis on individual prowless and ability to perform groundside, there is often an overlooked element on supporting roles such as CIC. (Not overlooking Doctors, MT, CT, etc). The other would be the command emphasis of centralised and decentralised command. I would like to believe that SLs should make the tactical decisions while the SOs become their information brokers not to give orders unless it is to rely what the CO/aCO says.

Centralised command only works if assuming your communication flow works very efficiently or is very simplified, combined with a decent CO. Decentralised command allows decisions made quickly on the go. This is largely debatable hence the argument of the preferred style of command. However, decentralised command can only be allowed if the CO allows it, since the rule was established on the chain of command in the USCM.

An alternative method is to go the ancient method explained in De-Re Militari, to ensure everyone from top to bottom is competently trained. Since this is a video game and new players do actually come to the server and try new roles, this is virtually implausible.

So that's one aspect of the situation, what do you guys think? Is there another analysis to it? Is there an alternative solution? I would like to know your thoughts.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think part of the issue lies in that the commands are somewhat lost in the shuffle. Unless I am crazy, there is no sound that plays when orders are passed down and when stuff is going crazy, you may not be looking at the radio as frequently as you should be. For aliens this is less of a problem. Way less of them, and less being said.

Announcements though.. those are noticed. It plays a loud ass noise.

Perhaps there should be an option to allow SLs, aSLs, and Command staff to have a sound effect played when they speak; with a different noise for each level. I know I would look over a lot more often if the 'command sound' played, knowing that I am being given an order. Especially when tunnel visioning as a medic/engineer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardedWall View Post
    I think part of the issue lies in that the commands are somewhat lost in the shuffle. Unless I am crazy, there is no sound that plays when orders are passed down and when stuff is going crazy, you may not be looking at the radio as frequently as you should be. For aliens this is less of a problem. Way less of them, and less being said.

Announcements though.. those are noticed. It plays a loud ass noise.

Perhaps there should be an option to allow SLs, aSLs, and Command staff to have a sound effect played when they speak; with a different noise for each level. I know I would look over a lot more often if the 'command sound' played, knowing that I am being given an order. Especially when tunnel visioning as a medic/engineer.
    THIS, and just to add on to your point. Xenos have less of a problem because their announcements have no cooldown. CIC's announcement has a 60 second cooldown so you have to be very conservative with your announcement. Other than that you rely a lot of normal radio chatter.

There is squad message but, unless I am wrong, it has a cooldown too. So the ability to distribute information is restricted.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Casada_Radio View Post
    THIS, and just to add on to your point. Xenos have less of a problem because their announcements have no cooldown. CIC's announcement has a 60 second cooldown so you have to be very conservative with your announcement. Other than that you rely a lot of normal radio chatter.

There is squad message but, unless I am wrong, it has a cooldown too. So the ability to distribute information is restricted.
    I don't even know what could be done, because I haven't played the roles before. For all I know this is already an option and just no one knows about it. Your join date is also this year... so we might have a baldie talking to baldie.

First thing first I guess is the question, is command lacking because of experience or because the in game systems aren't as good as they could be?

All I know is that as a medic.. I am looking at scans, dragging people away; and GLANCING at chat. Most messages are missed. And the more hectic, the more that are missed.

Second, is there a guide to how to setup your chats correctly? Like what do most "veteran" players play on. What can you turn off? What should be? etc. For all I know the vets all run around with just squad messages enabled ONLY. Or maybe broken into different windows? I have no idea. I have looked but not found much.

I bet it would be interesting to do a poll after any given round where a retreat was called what % of marines actually SAW the retreat message. I bet it would be low.. which is the problem.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually joined last year mind you, I only signed up on the forums this year. I have played pretty much every role except the whitelisted ones and CMP. (Played as MP but as an ERT MP)

I do not think it is the question of experience but the question of failed teamwork and coordination in CIC, and flow of communication. For example, you will have at times get mute SO who goes on Overwatch and refuses to communicate with you or the squad often. They take charge of the situation too quickly and can argue with SL/aSL. They just don't communicate.

If you mean by inexperienced as in being XO and CO, friend, if they don't start as SO they will definitely struggle command roles. Even if you lack some form of tactical sense and you have to rely to suggestions from veteran players you still have the essential duty of brokering and distributing information or simple rallying and supporting your SL's authority.

Setup chats? Ha, on groundside you are supposed to pay attention to the friggin comms, but that is going to be difficult when you are in a heat of the combat, which is why the role of the SL to lead and disseminate information comes very important. But it is also difficult when you have to nag and argue/order around your squadies and CIC at the same time. If you think Medic Comms are bad, try CIC when you have to listen to ALL COMS.

This is why the SL needs to nag till you literally see the message. YOU ARE MEANT TO SEE THE CHAT. There is a reason why their messages are bigger than the average marines. So your message proves why SLs have to literally nag orders on the marines till they see it before coming to their senses. So in a way you are right, you need sounds to wake the marines up to every message.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a Captain you give marines everything they need to do the job and announce enemy locations.

Go to req yourself, load a crate full of metal and plasteel and put it on the Alamo yourself. Order req to put all other supplies on the Alamo. Marines naturally unload crates. The FOB becomes disgustingly huge and fortified, supplies littered all over the place.

Then you sit in CIC and roleplay. That is all you have to do. Make sure marines have what they need, give a very VERY basic plan at the start of the operation and then sit back and announce enemy locations. Bonus points if you gyazo tactical maps.

Circumvent all the clunky chain of command non-sense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair.
    Captain is both the easiest and hardest role. If you want shit done right do it yourself but then you have to optimize a certain small amount of time. It�s comparable to Spec rush optimization only for the entire round while monitoring comma and providing new tactical changes and orders to at any time around 2+ high ranking crew or marines....

SL is much easier but more open to issues like inter communication issues and other departments or Squads not being on point ( assuming you are.)
    Last edited by Vispainius; 04-25-2019 at 04:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add commissars with field BE powers to execute ungas who dont follow orders

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general the command announcements are very important to win.
    But some CO's send out nearly no announcements.
    The question is also if a cm where you have to follow the CO's order is a cm you want.

Aliens have to follow orders but there are many who if they think they can get away with it will do their own thing.
    If the queen pays no attention people will ignore orders and unless staff reacts they will continue doing so.
    (Because they can get away with it.)

How to become senior dev.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tbh queens need to be less focused on micromanaging, instead it'd be great if we got some tools to organize stuff better, like leader locator for xenos that can cycle through leaders..