Katherine Steiner
    Their BYOND Key
    Don't know
    Approximate time and date of the incident
    11:30 AM
    Which Staff Protocols (//showthrea...-and-Protocols) were broken
    Preserve the RP and enjoyment of the server
    Description of the incident
    Playing as tank crew, we had reached Defcon 2, and had extra parts for the tank, but had lost the tank planetside. When the Normandy had been launched by the aliens to attack the Almayer, we got a plan together with a PO to launch back down to the surface, recover and repair the tank with the extra parts we had, and bring it back up to the almayer.

We did recover the tank (sans weapons), and got as far as the alamo, but an admin decided to intervene, possibly placing a bunch of hugger traps, but definitely spawning a few dozen AI aliens:

https://i.imgur.com/hkJvYTM.png

Furthermore, after killing a number of these, I believe even more were spawned just to be sure we couldn't possibly get back on the alamo. I'm not sure what would've happened had the tank actually had guns (abombed us?).

This really rubbed me the wrong way. I could've rolled with it if we were facing reasonable numbers of aliens, and they had been scattered around the map, but instead these were placed specifically to fuck us over with impossible to fight numbers. Whoever the admin was that did this may as well have just abombed us, and frankly it came off as an admin trying to influence the round in xeno favor.

I don't know who did it, but this staff report is directed at them.
    EvidenceHow you would punish the accused
    A player note on the admin over the incident, and telling the admin to use better and more fair judgement when influencing rounds with the tools they have. As I said in the description: This would've gone over better if we could've actually had a chance instead of facing 30-50 AI aliens with 4 people and a tank with no weapons.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really any logs I can post, but the person in question who spawned the AI hunters was Jerkface00.

CM-SS13 Vice Host
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only relevant log to post is the reasoning, which was because two people deployed with minimal weaponry knowing they'd face no opposition and left the dropship unmanned. They faced the consequences of returning to the colony after xenos had complete control.
    Charles & Arthur Edwinson
    Synth Percival | Artyom
    Yautja Kjhute Luar-ke

Record:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Discord: forest2001#2001

Event Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.

This was me.

As you say, you deployed to the surface after xenos deployed onto the almayer in an attempt to recover the tank.
    As this appeared to me as a cheese tactic to get around the xenos based exclusively on your ooc knowledge that there would be, in fact, no xenos to oppose you in getting your tank back. I decided to give you a fight. I spawned a large pile of AI xenos to deal with on your return trip. Seeing as you had the tank, and those xenos could not attack the tank, I gave you a large pile (something like 80 or 120 in all) around and in the shuttle.

They were placed only on your return trip, as I wasn't aware of your presence until you had already recovered the tank. Otherwise I probably would have given you a small, but increasing in-size group of ai's to deal with the longer you stayed.

The hugger traps were from xenos before they left. 100% not my control or my knowledge until after you had gotten hit by them. I had already spawned/was in the process of spawning the ai's around when you got hit. But even if that weren't the case; the ai xenos don't bother you while you're KO'd and in fact didn't bother you while you were KO'd.

Fleeing to the planet after the xenos board the ship is generally a bad idea; at best you have taken yourself out of the round anyway, at worst you are delaying or metagaming in doing so. I was of the opinion during the round in question that this was a case of metagaming (see above). So, i decided I could either take an ooc action (ping each of you about metagaming and possibly warn/note you about trying to avoid getting crushed by the dropship or bypassing the entire risk of xenos by deploying after they departed to steal back the tank), or i could take some kind of ic action, like spawn some ai for you to deal with to earn your prize. I felt like option 2 would be the more fun one, and give you a chance* to do-or-die for what in the round I thought (and still do think) to be your fuck-up.

What forest cited is basically what i said in msay or asay as to why i spawned them.
    Last edited by Jerkface00; 04-25-2019 at 11:42 AM. Reason: fixed my terrible english slightly. 2nd edit, fixed "change" to "chance"

Washed up CM-SS13 Host NGGJamie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am inclined to agree with Jerkface's reasoning here. You deployed yourselves down to an Area of Operations, alone and unguarded, where your forces were originally decimated to the point of retreat. By order of reason, something of that sort could easily be called a "suicide mission" were it not for the meta-knowledge that essentially every Xeno went aboard the almayer, leaving the planet non-hostile.

So instead of a calm stroll back to the ship, you were properly given a suicide-level obstacle to overcome that you were not adequately prepared for. Had you extra manpower like a marine guard unit, or more equipment coupled with skill; the AI could have been overcome as they are neither tough nor smart.

The actions Jerkface took are, therefore, reasonable to me. He would have been fully within rights to take OOC action, but did something more fun instead.

Closed.
    Synthetic Application-Leonard [Accepted] - Predator Application-Thei-De Na'Tauk [Accepted]

Mentor: 06/28/2017 - 08/07/2017 / Trial Moderator 08/07/2017 - 08/25/17 / Moderator 08/25/17 - 10/11/17 / Trial Admin 10/11/17 - 10/30/17 / Senior Mentor 10/30/17 - 03/15/18 / Mod Manager 03/15/18 - 07/08/18 / Coder 07/08/18 - 07/27/18 / Host 07/27/18 - 10/19/22

I run Linux on all of my machines and actively reject Windows. I have some cool dotfiles up on Github for configuring some of my favorite stuff.

Contact Info:
    Spoiler Spoiler: