Thread: Railgun Boiler Is ACTUALLY DECENT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Railgun Boiler Is ACTUALLY DECENT

Now I know what you're thinking

"Bitch, get the f*** outta here, it's the crappiest mutator"

I just played as a railgun boiler, and here's what I found.

While yes, you DO have to charge up a shot, here's the benefits:
    INSTANT dig-in time, so you don't have to wait 5 seconds before you can click a target.
    When you click a target, it only takes about 3/8ths of the time to take the shot, unlike gassing.
    You can fire early (albeit for less damage)
    No short-range limit, so you can dig in, click, and click again for a quick short-ranged shot.
    If you're an elder, or the marine is wearing light armor, A FULLY CHARGED SHOT WILL INSTA-CRIT a marine, virtually taking them out of the fight until someone helps drag them out.
    Not only that, but it makes the tank crew SERIOUSLY re-consider it's next method of attack, as your shots chew away NEARLY 10% OF THEIR ITEMS PER SHOT. This means 60-90 seconds of long-ranged contact with you, and the tank is either dead or in full retreat.

... My conclusion? ... it's actually a viable alternative to gassing!
    Is an Ambidexterous marine and xeno main.

Anekcahap "Kneecap" Volkov
    Agent X41833N

"Some of the best words are never said, but are rather understood."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine playing sniper antag on events.

That's railgun boiler, only key difference being that they don't cause decaps or broken bones.

Also you heal like a xeno because you're a xeno duh.

Anyway, just being decent like that doesn't make it a total replacement for regular Boiler, you can't singlehandedly halt an entire marine push with a gas cloud and all that shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because railgun boiler is average doesn't make it useful. Normal boiler is still miles better due to the area denial, potential to just instakill marines with the gas cloud, and all the collateral, plus the cover it gives xenos to slash downed marines, escape or take down cades.

If you want to target single people, just pick spitter and don't blow a T3 slot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen a railgun boiler hold the bridge on LV as the only boiler, not that that's hard to do for xenos.

Boiler has the highest damage potential, but I tend to find most gas clouds don't actually do that much damage. Their ability to halt pushes or cut off marines retreat is far, far more useful than the damage they do.

Railgun on the other hand can pretty consistently inflict actual damage on marines, albeit not that much. You're still better off as the OG boiler though, IMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, who would've thought that after the 12394785123876451234th buffs that railgun boiler gets, it would actually be useful?

Railgun Boiler still fails the number one purpose of why you want a Boiler in the first place, which is to zone and hold back the marine unga horde. Railgun's main purpose and why it should be considered, is to counter tank. Each glob does like 5% to armor and like 7% to modules, so you'll get it down very quickly with help from melee castes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does decent damage to tank but not enough to stop marine pushes. You can hit the first and second marines, but the third and fourth and fifth will keep on coming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a long range fight with a rail boiler the other day. My HPR didnt do dick to him, he could just charge his shot, hit me, and scoot on out to heal what little damage I could do from this distance we were fighting at.

Put a rail boiler up agaisnt a marine with anything less then a spec ranged weapon and the boiler boi gonna win. M41, HPR, L42 just dont cut it.
    Chen "Disco" West, Proud recipient of the "Realest Nigga on the Bloc" Award.
    My Dossier, it's good. Trust me. Read it.
    Secondary Objective: Stay Safe, Stick Together, Kick the ass of anything that might need an ass kicking. If you find any booze bring it up to CIC for me please.
    Not everyone who lost their life on Space Nam' died there. Not everyone who came home from Space Nam' ever left there.

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In theory the only solution to dealing with a railgun boiler is to suicide charge it, but if you do that the Boiler's defenders will just swarm you while the Boiler gets off one last shot, sprays acid, and backs up. Other than that you have fire missions which even Boilers can outrun more than half the time, so...
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol anyone who thinks railgun boiler is bad just sucks at the game. Railgun boilers can out snipe anything thats not a spec sniper and if it has a defender then it dont even have to worry about the spec sniper either. Oh no 1 boiler cant stop 20 marines by itself, good thing it has 2 other boiler buddies to do that with their clouds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine a railgun/gasser duo across the bridge....