Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MilSim vs LowRP Fun

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MilSim vs LowRP Fun

Now, the topic of this thread is something Dinkle brought to my attention.

So rule of this thread is.
    #1 - No MAJOR Shitposting
    #2 - You're entitled to your Opinion, So be respectful of others.

Milsim HRP vs LRP fun.

Should your Commanders have to fall under one category? Or do you think they could still do both and enjoy themselves in their round.

This question also extends past Commanders. Do you think that our current atmosphere, should we be leaning towards one side or are both capable of coexisting?

The questions are kinda dookie so forgive me but I'm just curious on all of your stance for it. Since a lot of people had some stuff to say about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Commander is a Milsim role. You are higher RP then everyone else and you set the standard.
    LRP has commander is BIG gay

Literally everyone else is retarded and will do what they want cuz retards can not be herded.
    Chen "Disco" West, Proud recipient of the "Realest Nigga on the Bloc" Award.
    My Dossier, it's good. Trust me. Read it.
    Secondary Objective: Stay Safe, Stick Together, Kick the ass of anything that might need an ass kicking. If you find any booze bring it up to CIC for me please.
    Not everyone who lost their life on Space Nam' died there. Not everyone who came home from Space Nam' ever left there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Low roleplay should be fine ish in lesser ranks like PFCs to the point that it should be somewhat realistic.

Stuff such as people acting like cavemen in the hanger trying to light fire and throwing spears near people who come near as a PFC isn't.

I personally believe that COs and such ranks similar to it (which are STILL supposed to be HRP) should be held to a standard of quality.

TLDR: important roles have more responsibility to their role, department, and the server as a whole.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This nonsense about HRP is an absolute joke.

The only people defending "HRP" have the collective creative writing skill of a brain dead monkey, and the willpower to follow a high standard akin to a four year old with ADHD.

Captains are not special. They should not have to follow special roleplay guidelines, they should not set standards. They have one objective:

To make the round interesting.

To defend the status quo is to defend mediocrity, and the taste of stale "roleplay". No one follows roleplay guidelines, to isolate a single role to "HRP" actually decreases the level of roleplay on the server. Being forced to be "realistic" (which is a sham, and basically just means don't do anything funny) while everyone else is enjoying themselves being LRP means there's a heavy discrepancy - this makes things worse. If everyone is LRP, there is no problem. If everyone is "HRP" - there is no problem, again. You cannot split the server into "LRP" and "HRP", without causing problems. The marines have eventually shifted to LRP, and so has Command. The only difference for Captain is they have to mask their LRP a bit better.

Staff do not care.

Staff have not tried to improve it.

It is better this way.

LRP Captains should be acceptable, following the rules as much as you can - with one objective:

Make the round interesting.

Goofy ass "MILSIM HRP" junk ass bullshit is not fun. Go to Bay.

Stay at Bay.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're never going to get a solid consensus on this, nor do I feel we need one. CM is stated to be a medium RP server. What exactly that means is... poorly-defined.

I don't think CM is no RP. People who say that haven't seen actual no RP, with people just openly metaing the round type in chat and the like. And while RP is often difficult in combat, certain roles - especially shipside and whitelisted ones - are expected to adhere to a certain standard. We also definitely aren't and can't be HRP, nor do I think anyone is really asking for that?

MRP isn't a particularly well-defined thing but I generally take it to mean that there's a minimal base RP standard, certain roles have higher standards, and there's always an option for RPing if you want to. PFCs can RP if they like, but they're not going to get bwoinked for not doing it. You generally expect the synth to RP fairly well, however, and roles like doctor or MP are naturally more "friendly" to RP.

As long as certain minimum standards (which can and will vary per role) are maintained, I don't think there's actually any conflict between "milsim HRP" and "LRP fun". Frankly, CM falls between those. If you want milsim, playing Fleet on Bay exists. If you want LRP, /tg/ and Hippie exist. We shouldn't compromise what makes CM unique for the sake of attempting to target one specific "type" of player. Likewise, mandating one or the other is going to be off-putting to people.
    Last edited by Retrokinesis; 05-04-2019 at 10:11 PM.
    Audrey Aulin, found (drinking tea) in various roles

Evelyn, the ever-helpful synth

Member of the CO Council. Feel free to PM me here or on the Discord @Retrokinesis#8332 with any CO-related matters.

Former Moderator, Mapper, Official Space Carp Developer, and Lead Burrower Apologist.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Retard View Post
    This nonsense about HRP is an absolute joke.

The only people defending "HRP" have the collective creative writing skill of a brain dead monkey, and the willpower to follow a high standard akin to a four year old with ADHD.

Captains are not special. They should not have to follow special roleplay guidelines, they should not set standards. They have one objective:

To make the round interesting.

To defend the status quo is to defend mediocrity, and the taste of stale "roleplay". No one follows roleplay guidelines, to isolate a single role to "HRP" actually decreases the level of roleplay on the server. Being forced to be "realistic" (which is a sham, and basically just means don't do anything funny) while everyone else is enjoying themselves being LRP means there's a heavy discrepancy - this makes things worse. If everyone is LRP, there is no problem. If everyone is "HRP" - there is no problem, again. You cannot split the server into "LRP" and "HRP", without causing problems. The marines have eventually shifted to LRP, and so has Command. The only difference for Captain is they have to mask their LRP a bit better.

Staff do not care.

Staff have not tried to improve it.

It is better this way.

LRP Captains should be acceptable, following the rules as much as you can - with one objective:

Make the round interesting.

Goofy ass "MILSIM HRP" junk ass bullshit is not fun. Go to Bay.

Stay at Bay.
    I disagree with a lot of your points, I also feel like this all or nothing attitude isn't really helpful. It's basically saying "I dislike this type of roleplay and everyone who doesn't should gtfo"

I think we have room for a range of roleplaying levels on this server but I believe that certain roles should be held to higher standards simply because they have a huge impact of the server and are something of an example.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solidfury7 View Post
    I disagree with a lot of your points, I also feel like this all or nothing attitude isn't really helpful. It's basically saying "I dislike this type of roleplay and everyone who doesn't should gtfo"

I think we have room for a range of roleplaying levels on this server but I believe that certain roles should be held to higher standards simply because they have a huge impact of the server and are something of an example.
    Enforcing HRP means you disallow anything below it.

Tolerating LRP means you allow everything above it.

The server would benefit from shifting to a faux MRP (LRP in reality) to an honest LRP. Let every role be LRP minimum.

Those who want to roleplay, can. Setting the standard to LRP does not mean roleplay does not happen.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Retard View Post
    Enforcing HRP means you disallow anything below it.

Tolerating LRP means you allow everything above it.

The server would benefit from shifting to a faux MRP (LRP in reality) to an honest LRP. Let every role be LRP minimum.

Those who want to roleplay, can. Setting the standard to LRP does not mean roleplay does not happen.
    I suppose it depends on your view on low roleplay. I used to admin on hippie. If you wanted that level of low rp, I couldn't disagree more. The whole lrp, mrp, hrp are all subjective scales anyway.

Donor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder when you guys are gonna figure out you're running a team deathmatch server. At least 90% of the playerbase do not spend 2 hours a round to talk to each other about the weather. Sooner or later you'll figure out sleepy's suggestion is the reality you're facing, CM has been pretending to be MRP since forever now when in actuality the gameplay is LRP and HRP roles are just to help keep idiots out of important positions, not for actual role play reasons.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.

This is a topic that I feel is heavily dividing people and requires a discussion and I am happy this thread exists.

I have attempted to engage in HRP in the past, funnily enough the moment I got the whitelist. I played a serious female Captain named Sarah Hunter for a few rounds. I attempted to be professional and act like any military authority would. Through this experience I was greeted with either apathy or disdain for my efforts. On an individual level, there is little-to-no reward for maintaining a "high standard" due to server culture alone. That brings us to a very interesting point: Why is server culture the way it is? Why are players engaging in goofy antics rather than serious roleplay? It is because players care for more about the gameplay than they do the roleplay and this, I believe, is by design. The development team, from my perspective, is heavily focusing on gameplay mechanics, quality of life and balance changes rather than roleplay mechanics. This is what people want and what people talk about the most. They will go to Last Round Chat and talk about how Elder Ravager 666 stopped an entire push or the RPG spec landing a sick rocket or how they were part of a stressful gameplay situation and they barely got out alive or something of the ilk. Of course they will talk about various roleplay scenarios, but they are secondary.

If CM was primarily an RP server, there would be more time to RP. People are far too preoccupied with not getting shit on by a Warrior/gearing up round start to engage in any meaningful dialogue or character building.

Ask yourself this: What exactly is spurring RP on CM? We have the same routine, the same enemy, the same maps, the same meta. There is only so many times you can act surprised that there are xenomorphs on the planet or that chestbursters exist. There is one very important fact you need to understand: Roleplay is spurred by gameplay. Since gameplay is about killing xenos, most players roleplay as LRP badasses who aren't scared of anything or goofy doofuses getting into hijinks in perilous life-threatening situations. This is what CM will be and what it will always be.

I record all of my rounds and rewatch them, analyzing how other players reacted or might have felt through my actions as Captain. I consider what I've done and think about ways I could have done better and then improve on it next round. I look at things players find stale and find a way to make it interesting for them. And from my extensive experience backed with meticulous study I have concluded a vast majority of players prefer goofy fun over serious Milsim RP. The those who want Milsim are a very small and very vocal minority who need to learn just how very small they are. You are heavily outnumbered by a large contingent of the CM community whether you like it or not.

If two players wish to engage in serious roleplay then of course they are free to do so. If two players wish to engage in silly antics, then they should be free to do so provided they do not negatively disrupt the round for those who did not wish to participate in said antics. I simply do not know of any way you can enforce an enjoyable HRP scenario on a server that demands so much from you mechanically to maintain your position or stay alive or sound extremely forced ("big red dog!!!!").

Newer players are typically more serious and willing to engage in HRP. I know I and many other veterans were. However, with each round the novelty wears off and you start to find more enjoyment in the gameplay: Gunning down xenos, juking Lurker pounces and punishing them with a nice juicy PB, landing that AT rocket on the Queen. These are what spur RP on CM and what always will and these naturally lean towards a goofier, gamer like tone.

If the men under my control are going to be goofy badasses getting in silly situations, they require a Captain who knows and understands their needs and wants and can accommodate.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Imheretohelp; 05-04-2019 at 10:43 PM.