User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MilSim vs LowRP Fun

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MilSim is pretty much impossible as far as CM goes, in terms of meta, timeframe, and playerbase. LRP is possible, but I think it's generally undesirable. MRP is a good middle ground IMO.

Regarding Commanders specifically, I think we're in a position where we can hold ourselves to higher standards of RP -- but I also don't think "meme" or otherwise silly COs should be ragged on too much for taking a different approach to things. We've all got our different ways to play, and so long as it's not harming anyone, I don't see any issue with it.

Personally I bounce around. There are times when I'll act a little sillier/cartoon-ish and there's other times I'll put in some solid RP. I probably would feel a little limited if I had one of options cut out from under me. We should be versatile with how we play and be able to respond to the situation in the best way we see fit.
    Trial Moderator: 4/18/19 - 5/2/19 / Moderator: 5/3/19 - 10/1/19 / Senior Moderator: 10/2/19 - 12/26/19 / Trial Admin: 12/27/19 - 1/11/20 / Mod Manager: 1/12/20 - 4/18/20

Cerwick/Balakura/etc
    Discord: noah#7322

Former staff member and long-time CO Council member, now I just wave my boomer cane at people when I want something to complain about.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other than the basics like no ooc in ic and no metagaming there is no real roleplay on this server. Sitting around and having breakfast is meh. This game would be infinitely better if we didnt have MPs running around busting everyone for every minor little thing just because it gives them a boner. MPs dont even have to do investigations anymore because admins have made them moderator-lite so they cant be questioned. Thats low rp as fuck but then they hold people who want to deathmatch to a higher standard? fuck that.
    Last edited by MasterShakeEZ; 05-05-2019 at 01:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoy some shenanigans more than roleplaying something that the other side expects me to follow through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Milsim and MRP are a bit different.

LRP and Milsim are DRAMATICALLY different.

Do we benefit from shifting to a official LRP standard? Absolutely not.
    We already maintain we are MRP which allows us to justify our MRP standards while allowing, to the acceptable degree we already have, LRP.

Shifting *officially* to LRP would 100% not be a good route for us.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vispainius View Post
    Milsim and MRP are a bit different.

LRP and Milsim are DRAMATICALLY different.

Do we benefit from shifting to a official LRP standard? Absolutely not.
    We already maintain we are MRP which allows us to justify our MRP standards while allowing, to the acceptable degree we already have, LRP.

Shifting *officially* to LRP would 100% not be a good route for us.
    We were never MRP.
    never.

Check how other games/servers handle medium-roleplay and then check CMs again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I play marine, I enjoy the RP feeling of a desperate land stand or assault than any actual instances of interpersonal interaction, most of which is pretty low RP.

Usually I play xeno and that's mostly just memes and killing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whichever one is more fun for players and in this case, that'd be lowRP. At the end of the day, CM has been designed with team deathmatch in mind with little incentives made for roleplay. See: gym. Commanders being milsim might be fun for them and their entourage but the average player won't be a part of this because they're too busy fighting for their lives. If marines can have a little fun at the Commander hosting briefing in Chapel or something inane as hosting a competition for the CO's hat, then losing milsim is a price worth paying for something players will be more engaged in than a standard briefing.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything boils into:

Gamemode is too repetitive.
    It's 99% another beno round, I was sick and tired of RP'ing beno first encouter after month of playing on CM, while still being 100% baldie.
    Benos are boring to talk about, benos act to fast to talk about, benos are too powerfull to talk about. This is why Zombie rounds and HvH shines, zombies and other humans act fairly slowly, they are as weak as you (or weaker when we are talking about small group of zombies, or CLF) etc.

Admemes are unwilling, or/and lazy, or/and don't know about people's gimmicks, so they don't do anything with OOC power to spark RP.
    My character "Cabal" is set to be ex-Brotherhood memeber, his Medical and Security records are full of fluff text about him that could grant many opportinities to "spawn" something minor to "heat me up" into my RP role, otherwise other marines don't care, because all of that is a simple lie, or/and cringy, boring talk about something we both know, but we pretend one of us didn't.
    Example: Dead NPC CT spawned at the start of the round in maintenance, with blood trails leading from main hallways. Bloody note left next to him "Do not underestimate the Brotherhood of NOD... In the name of Kane!".
    That's it, that is enough for somebody to found CT body, alert MPs, connect the dots and bring me to questioning. This small thing alone will keep RP occupied atleast one PFC, every MP and part of Command. While other PFCs might talk about this new, unusuall thing that happened, talk about their views on this subject etc. Players would figure out what to do then and I'm fully certain that I wouldn't mind being perma brigged as long as somebody, or something keep me busy, like appealing my sentence, finding clues that this might be provocation and stuff.
    So little, yet so much.

Other servers can be easly MRP, because there is always an "unknown" and new factor, where there are no two exact the same rounds. Not only thanks to players, but also to admins who keep everyone entertained. What is the point of Chaplian that despite doing "Holy" things doesn't get any response from "God" Admeme? What is the point of faxing High Command as Captain, when nobody will respond? What is the point of CL that despite doing "Corporate" thing doesn't get any response fro WY?

In short: Repetitive rounds and lack of input from Admemes are cause of LRP atmosphere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the average round you cannot usually and will not ever have anything more than the usual LRP in a game that is text based and is focused on giant murder aliens trying to kill yall the moment you touch the ground. It maybe would be possible in a game like arma with a communication system like TFAR (a ts3 addon which simulates proximity voice and radios) where everyone knows they are getting into MilSim. Even in arma the MilSim community is very small, most units just keep it to having a command structure and following orders but they arent doing the "yes sir no sir" stuff like that. There are barely any units (clans) that take it to actual MilSim levels and even those usually stick to quote: "serious-fun".

But in a 2d space game? Nope. It wont happen unless devs would make very extreme changes that would probably push away a lot of players or the server would switch to a HRP designation and punish everyone for LRP/MRP which also would kill off atleast 85%+ of the playerbase. CM is barely scratching the MRP mark in rounds that allow for roleplay which are rather rare, lets not fool ourselves by saying CM is not LRP.
    Last edited by dasWurmtMich; 05-05-2019 at 09:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An idea to make the game less repetitive:

Like vanilla ss13, random game mode every round.

We have already 4 gamemodes completely separated:

- HvX

- HvH

- Infection

- WO

If we could add all these gamemodes into rotation the same way we added maps I�m pretty sure RP would improve.
    Also, something else that motivates to RP are the misc. roles. Many times we asked for roles like Cook or chaplain, just for the sake of RP but both ended shot down by god knows why shitty reason. End of the line, I blame the staff before the players.