Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MilSim vs LowRP Fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckenshutze View Post
    An idea to make the game less repetitive:

Like vanilla ss13, random game mode every round.

We have already 4 gamemodes completely separated:

- HvX

- HvH

- Infection

- WO

If we could add all these gamemodes into rotation the same way we added maps I�m pretty sure RP would improve.
    Also, something else that motivates to RP are the misc. roles. Many times we asked for roles like Cook or chaplain, just for the sake of RP but both ended shot down by god knows why shitty reason. End of the line, I blame the staff before the players.
    Wouldn't work because every other gamemode is severely less balanced and typically requires admin intervention to play out decently, with the exception of whiskey outpost, but whiskey outpost gets very stale very quickly

I just want the gym. I know a lot of players, including myself, that got seriously disappointed when the gym got implemented in game. First round a bunch of players ran there while staff and devs used OOC chat to shitpost about how "great the gym was", which got hopes up even higher. Serious killjoy for all the people who were genuinely excited for it. A single room that people would go to for goofy workout emotes wouldn't exactly raise the RP standards all on its own but it'd be a nice thing for people to have anyway.
    Chance Warden

Duke the Synthetic, Karr'Thesh the Yautja
    ex-synth councilman and retired moderator

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kineem View Post
    Wouldn't work because every other gamemode is severely less balanced and typically requires admin intervention to play out decently, with the exception of whiskey outpost, but whiskey outpost gets very stale very quickly

I just want the gym. I know a lot of players, including myself, that got seriously disappointed when the gym got implemented in game. First round a bunch of players ran there while staff and devs used OOC chat to shitpost about how "great the gym was", which got hopes up even higher. Serious killjoy for all the people who were genuinely excited for it. A single room that people would go to for goofy workout emotes wouldn't exactly raise the RP standards all on its own but it'd be a nice thing for people to have anyway.
    Many staff members are proponents to "higher RP standards" yet troll players who would've used the gym to RP. :thinking:

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kineem View Post

Even more outrageous for staffmemes to shutdown damn fine rage cage that was build on top of what was left from first legitemate pre-drop Almayer bombings (atleast in my opinion).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Imheretohelp View Post
    Hi.

This is a topic that I feel is heavily dividing people and requires a discussion and I am happy this thread exists.

I have attempted to engage in HRP in the past, funnily enough the moment I got the whitelist. I played a serious female Captain named Sarah Hunter for a few rounds. I attempted to be professional and act like any military authority would. Through this experience I was greeted with either apathy or disdain for my efforts. On an individual level, there is little-to-no reward for maintaining a "high standard" due to server culture alone. That brings us to a very interesting point: Why is server culture the way it is? Why are players engaging in goofy antics rather than serious roleplay? It is because players care for more about the gameplay than they do the roleplay and this, I believe, is by design. The development team, from my perspective, is heavily focusing on gameplay mechanics, quality of life and balance changes rather than roleplay mechanics. This is what people want and what people talk about the most. They will go to Last Round Chat and talk about how Elder Ravager 666 stopped an entire push or the RPG spec landing a sick rocket or how they were part of a stressful gameplay situation and they barely got out alive or something of the ilk. Of course they will talk about various roleplay scenarios, but they are secondary.

If CM was primarily an RP server, there would be more time to RP. People are far too preoccupied with not getting shit on by a Warrior/gearing up round start to engage in any meaningful dialogue or character building.

Ask yourself this: What exactly is spurring RP on CM? We have the same routine, the same enemy, the same maps, the same meta. There is only so many times you can act surprised that there are xenomorphs on the planet or that chestbursters exist. There is one very important fact you need to understand: Roleplay is spurred by gameplay. Since gameplay is about killing xenos, most players roleplay as LRP badasses who aren't scared of anything or goofy doofuses getting into hijinks in perilous life-threatening situations. This is what CM will be and what it will always be.

I record all of my rounds and rewatch them, analyzing how other players reacted or might have felt through my actions as Captain. I consider what I've done and think about ways I could have done better and then improve on it next round. I look at things players find stale and find a way to make it interesting for them. And from my extensive experience backed with meticulous study I have concluded a vast majority of players prefer goofy fun over serious Milsim RP. The those who want Milsim are a very small and very vocal minority who need to learn just how very small they are. You are heavily outnumbered by a large contingent of the CM community whether you like it or not.

If two players wish to engage in serious roleplay then of course they are free to do so. If two players wish to engage in silly antics, then they should be free to do so provided they do not negatively disrupt the round for those who did not wish to participate in said antics. I simply do not know of any way you can enforce an enjoyable HRP scenario on a server that demands so much from you mechanically to maintain your position or stay alive or sound extremely forced ("big red dog!!!!").

Newer players are typically more serious and willing to engage in HRP. I know I and many other veterans were. However, with each round the novelty wears off and you start to find more enjoyment in the gameplay: Gunning down xenos, juking Lurker pounces and punishing them with a nice juicy PB, landing that AT rocket on the Queen. These are what spur RP on CM and what always will and these naturally lean towards a goofier, gamer like tone.

If the men under my control are going to be goofy badasses getting in silly situations, they require a Captain who knows and understands their needs and wants and can accommodate.

Thanks for reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Retard View Post
    Enforcing HRP means you disallow anything below it.

Tolerating LRP means you allow everything above it.

The server would benefit from shifting to a faux MRP (LRP in reality) to an honest LRP. Let every role be LRP minimum.

Those who want to roleplay, can. Setting the standard to LRP does not mean roleplay does not happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Retard View Post
    This nonsense about HRP is an absolute joke.

The only people defending "HRP" have the collective creative writing skill of a brain dead monkey, and the willpower to follow a high standard akin to a four year old with ADHD.

Captains are not special. They should not have to follow special roleplay guidelines, they should not set standards. They have one objective:

To make the round interesting.

To defend the status quo is to defend mediocrity, and the taste of stale "roleplay". No one follows roleplay guidelines, to isolate a single role to "HRP" actually decreases the level of roleplay on the server. Being forced to be "realistic" (which is a sham, and basically just means don't do anything funny) while everyone else is enjoying themselves being LRP means there's a heavy discrepancy - this makes things worse. If everyone is LRP, there is no problem. If everyone is "HRP" - there is no problem, again. You cannot split the server into "LRP" and "HRP", without causing problems. The marines have eventually shifted to LRP, and so has Command. The only difference for Captain is they have to mask their LRP a bit better.

Staff do not care.

Staff have not tried to improve it.

It is better this way.

LRP Captains should be acceptable, following the rules as much as you can - with one objective:

Make the round interesting.

Goofy ass "MILSIM HRP" junk ass bullshit is not fun. Go to Bay.

Stay at Bay.
    Couldn't have said it better myself; ive been thinking the server is LRP pretending to be MRP for a long time now and have put it into words a lot, but not as much as this.

Captains have long ago stopped being the "HRP" that the whitelist is supposed to be for good reason; no one is incentivized to roleplay at that level anymore.

Staff used to care if you were lowRP; they'd ban, gib, etc. people who acted out of line. And even then people still didn't roleplay to such a high standard, they just pretended to in order to not get in trouble with the admins.

And now that even THAT pretense is gone, people no longer "roleplay" in the way HRP players envision it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

- HvX

- HvH

- Infection

- WO

If we could add all these gamemodes into rotation the same way we added maps I�m pretty sure RP would improve.
    Also, something else that motivates to RP are the misc. roles. Many times we asked for roles like Cook or chaplain, just for the sake of RP but both ended shot down by god knows why shitty reason. End of the line, I blame the staff before the players.
    HVH can only be done with ADMEMES intervention

Zombies is a bit borked and without development, it's a no-no, because 90% of the times end up on ALL marines infected and no cure.

WO is borked.
    and i returned, and left. and returned again 19/06/2022, this is my life now.

Former Moderator Trainer. If you have any questions regarding Moderation Duties, feel free to DM me: Hunk1#9842

A bigger truth has never been spoken.

Props to nanu for the picture.

My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scsnv View Post
    MilSim is pretty much impossible as far as CM goes, in terms of meta, timeframe, and playerbase. LRP is possible, but I think it's generally undesirable. MRP is a good middle ground IMO.

Regarding Commanders specifically, I think we're in a position where we can hold ourselves to higher standards of RP -- but I also don't think "meme" or otherwise silly COs should be ragged on too much for taking a different approach to things. We've all got our different ways to play, and so long as it's not harming anyone, I don't see any issue with it.

Personally I bounce around. There are times when I'll act a little sillier/cartoon-ish and there's other times I'll put in some solid RP. I probably would feel a little limited if I had one of options cut out from under me. We should be versatile with how we play and be able to respond to the situation in the best way we see fit.
    You always Roleplayed SOLID with me when i am CAS pilot or any other Support role, Like Tank Crew.

The thing is, to put a Milsim RP like I DO EVERY round you have to spend time, set macros, have the time to do that and even spend time watching videos about some military games chatter so i can improve my RP.

I hear some J-TAC Complain constantly of my RP, but MY RP made me what i am today, a CAS Main and a decent one. I found myself playing alot better when RPing than going Straight UNGA Like Murry and having to be deffibed on the first 40 minutes of deployment. IF i die, i lose immediate interest and log off to play something else. My RP made me last longer on my rounds and even rack kills.

It's a point of view.

Wanna get better, spend time.

Former Moderator Trainer. If you have any questions regarding Moderation Duties, feel free to DM me: Hunk1#9842

My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunk1 View Post
    You always Roleplayed SOLID with me when i am CAS pilot or any other Support role, Like Tank Crew.

The thing is, to put a Milsim RP like I DO EVERY round you have to spend time, set macros, have the time to do that and even spend time watching videos about some military games chatter so i can improve my RP.

I hear some J-TAC Complain constantly of my RP, but MY RP made me what i am today, a CAS Main and a decent one. I found myself playing alot better when RPing than going Straight UNGA Like Murry and having to be deffibed on the first 40 minutes of deployment. IF i die, i lose immediate interest and log off to play something else. My RP made me last longer on my rounds and even rack kills.

It's a point of view.

Wanna get better, spend time.
    Yeah, let me clarify. Our RP is a breath of fresh air sometimes, and I think anyone is capable of MilSim/some strong military-infused MRP if they personally hold themselves up to that standard; as a group or conglomerate, however, I don't think it's viable for the CM playerbase. I personally enjoy it and try to keep a pretty solid military basis to my RP. But I understand why some people can't or don't want to do that.

I think MRP is a good middle ground for everyone involved.
    Trial Moderator: 4/18/19 - 5/2/19 / Moderator: 5/3/19 - 10/1/19 / Senior Moderator: 10/2/19 - 12/26/19 / Trial Admin: 12/27/19 - 1/11/20 / Mod Manager: 1/12/20 - 4/18/20

Cerwick/Balakura/etc
    Discord: noah#7322

Former staff member and long-time CO Council member, now I just wave my boomer cane at people when I want something to complain about.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scsnv View Post
    Yeah, let me clarify. Our RP is a breath of fresh air sometimes, and I think anyone is capable of MilSim/some strong military-infused MRP if they personally hold themselves up to that standard; as a group or conglomerate, however, I don't think it's viable for the CM playerbase. I personally enjoy it and try to keep a pretty solid military basis to my RP. But I understand why some people can't or don't want to do that.

I think MRP is a good middle ground for everyone involved.
    Yep, CM is not the Place for Full MRP or HRP, i say as myself a Heavy Roleplayer and used to be a admin from a Heavy Roleplay server. Those don't fit here, there are some players that gladly join the Group of roleplayers, but they are rare, Like Roman "Coyote" and Lou Greenewalt. Even sometimes when Vanessa "Pocket" Miller is on PFC side and J-TACing, i feel that's going to be a good round with a lot of RP.

My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think, unfortunately, there is a lot of stigma associated with the word 'HRP'. For many SS13 players, HRP is 'standing around and talking about the weather' or 'walking in the hallways instead of running', or 'trying to act serious all the time, every single round'.

The problem is, that's bad HRP. Contrary to what many people think, the goal of HRP is to make things more fun, not less. Ideally, good HRP should be the opposite of boring.

So what exactly is good HRP, anyway? As I see it, good HRP should be focused on engaging other players and creating a story. Ironically, 'low RP fun' gets old after a while, at least for me. Shooting xenos is fun, but after a long time playing, it can get repetitive. You know what doesn't? Roleplaying with others and cooperatively making a story. For example, interviewing survivors about their experiences, or formulating battle plans and arguing with other command staff. I remember one time I was an XO that ordered engineering to build me a seperate desk in the CIC for me to organize papers and battle plans. Cooperating with other people is fun! It can also help to have a character with a complex, multi-faceted personality. It creates lots of fun opportunities that you wouldn't get otherwise.

The majority of players, of course, wouldn't agree with me on this. And that's 100% fine! Low RP isn't bad in nature, just like HRP isn't bad in nature either. CM should support both kinds of playstyles. What I've found is that combat-oriented jobs are more LRP and ship-side jobs and command jobs are more HRP. Our playerbase will always be split on this, but it's not a mutually exclusive thing.

TL;DR: Just have fun, because at the end of the day this is just a 2d multiplayer spessman shooter game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- HvX

- HvH

- Infection

- WO

That could definitely work. While I might agree that WO, Infection, and HvH are a bit screwed at the moment, I believe that playing these modes more would help bring more feedback and give a sense of direction for the devs. While this server was created in the Aliens theme, it might be incredibly beneficial to branch outwards with these already somewhat established gamemodes.