42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 35.71%
  • No

19 45.24%
  • Further discussion and tweaking is needed

8 19.05%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should we bring back the LTB cannon as a roundstart option?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Massive -support

The problem with the tank prior to its removal was that it was too powerful. The round rided on the skill of its crew; making the contributions of marines far less relevant. The tank shouldn't be a source of kills at round start. It's great as it is being a mobile source of fire support that scares the xenos away.
    Last edited by Grubstank; 05-10-2019 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Typos

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rather the tank be removed as a whole again, it's not that it's too strong right now.
    It's just that the maps have to be designed around the tank existing and guess what, most of the hotly contested area of maps just do not support this and thus forces nearly all engagement on spaces that do not support tank because of course xenos would want to fight in a place where they have the most advantage, the only map that is the exception for this is LV and even that is quite limited as unless heavily supported the tank can't get into the cave lake.

Also the existence of the tank while not as key as it was before still puts it as the center of a push as it is still a big ass cover against boiler gas, against crushers, and one of the things can deal with sticky resins in a timely manner.

So yeah, on top of map design and being a focus on pushes, the tank is also only really fun for the two TCs while the rest of the people are playing around it and I feel like that just screws with balance of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, the tank should simply be apart of the combined-arms doctrine. It is an incredibly powerful tool, BUT only when properly supported. Both as a regular marine and TC, I have seen plenty of tanks fail because they are unsupported by infantry or simply bite off more than they can chew. A single bad engagement can take a tank out of the round if the armor and/or weapons are destroyed, or if a TC is dragged off away from the tank., even if the tank itself survives.

Not to mention that the tank will still be limited by logistics, LTB shells are still limited and are quite expensive if the wiki is correct. Shells might be a bit of a luxury item when infantry ammo and materials are high in demand (which they always are) and a few bad misses can really put a damper on tank operations.

In response to Ttly, if only the TCs are having fun in the round, then I dont think that falls on the tank, that might be something else with the game itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, just don't make the maps specifically for the tank at all. Keep the marines on their toes and force em to adapt depending on the map.

That said, I think the LTB is weaker as a option due to armor. With that said, I think the LTB should be moved to Defcon 3 or...if moved to roundstart...watched to see how it fits into the new updates and then, following that, either removed and put back back into Defcon 2-Defcon 3.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, hell no.
    LTB is such a game changer.

Marines should have to earn it with defcon

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tank should be seen as a moving-suppression fire barricade. The tank should be used to push with and provide a barrier for the marines as they advance. DEFCON allows the tank to eventually become a kill weapon, but only later in the round after they've earned it. Specs are an example of something designed to kill, the tank, not so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. But to be honest I don't like the tank at all really. I think we should be aiming for less open spaces in the maps. Too much open space to fight around leads to dumb changes to marines/xenos and takes away some potential. All the tank does is encourage this game strategy to carry on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tank well supported by ungas is the backbone of a push and its not easy to take out and i always see hivechat screaming about the turtle. If ungas all run off to 360 pb xenos then not so much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolosopher View Post
    No. But to be honest I don't like the tank at all really. I think we should be aiming for less open spaces in the maps. Too much open space to fight around leads to dumb changes to marines/xenos and takes away some potential. All the tank does is encourage this game strategy to carry on.
    Just look at prison though. It's either the most loved or most hated map there is (after ice). Tighter pathing doesn't necessarily make the map more popular

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubstank View Post
    Just look at prison though. It's either the most loved or most hated map there is (after ice). Tighter pathing doesn't necessarily make the map more popular
    Because we built the game around large areas. Think about LV-624, the first original map that reigned for years and years: all the combat happens at the beach and caves, which are all a large area. FOB defense is also in a large area with nexus and all the space around LZ1. Then BR with it's FOB that is ALSO a large open area.

Overall CM chose a path different to most Alien based games, but I don't think it was the best path.

For now let's just focus on not making the tank super fucking strong