User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mafs - Developer Application (Coder)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mafs - Developer Application (Coder)

Developer Application
    Byond ID?
    Fatih345

Age?

Gender?
    Male

How would you define yourself? (Coder, Mapper, Spriter):
    Coder

If Coder, what languages?
    Java, C++ and a bit of LUA. Learned all about Java from schooling (AP Comp. Sci and personal exploration), while C++ and Lua were from personal experience modding games. I was on a mod dev team for HOI4 specifically for a while, besides my own projects.

Any previous experience developing with SS13?
    None at all with SS13.

Proof of any previous or current work:
    None I have saved or technically advanced enough to warrant showing. At most just some class projects from over one year ago and some minor personal mods on CIV5, HOI4, and a few paradox games.

How well do you know Git?
    Git/GitLab I've used on personal projects with friends and extensively when I was on a HOI4 mod dev team, I'm fairly confident with it, and I'd be more than willing to learn more asap if I find myself lacking.

Your primary job is server development, not policing the server. You may be given Moderator-level of access but you should *not* be invoking any administrative actions unless there are no moderators or Admins online. Do you understand?
    Yes

Anything else you'd like to add?
    Firstly, from what I can tell Byond's DM coding language, it isn't too dissimilar in principal from Java. At first glance, it doesn't look too hard to pick up and I'd be willing to work hard to learn it. IRL I'm currently pursuing computer science and already learned a bit of coding anyway, so it shouldn't be hard to use DM.

That being said, however, I do recognize that I am fairly new to the community and not well-known, if known at all, and this fact will be taken into consideration. I understand if I am rejected because of my lack of time in the community and would be very willing to be put on a wait-list or shelved for the time being. Also, if it helps my application further down the line, I'd be willing to be waitlisted and allowed to learn and demonstrate proficiency in DM if my lack of experience specifically with DM is a factor.

Otherwise, I fully accept whatever decision is made and would be more than willing to re-apply in the future if I'm not needed or wanted at the moment. I simply want to help in any way I can and give back to this new community I find myself a part of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there.

That being said, however, I do recognize that I am fairly new to the community and not well-known, if known at all, and this fact will be taken into consideration. I understand if I am rejected because of my lack of time in the community and would be very willing to be put on a wait-list or shelved for the time being.
    I wouldn't worry too much about that. How well known you are in the community is one of the least important things to us.

Some additional questions:

What is your timezone?

What is your opinion on the current game balance?

Are you interested in creating new features or do you prefer working on the backend and bugfixing side of things?

Have you ever played on the server under a different BYOND ID than Fatih345?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranged66 View Post
    Hey there.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. How well known you are in the community is one of the least important things to us.

Some additional questions:

What is your timezone?

What is your opinion on the current game balance?

Are you interested in creating new features or do you prefer working on the backend and bugfixing side of things?

Have you ever played on the server under a different BYOND ID than Fatih345?
    1. My timezone is CST, American Central Time (Chicago)
    2. I don't think I can give a truly accurate opinion on game balance. I mainly play Marine -> engineer, with occasional xeno and role hopping. I can only think of quite specific things that I see a lot affecting balance, such as the cooldown timings on Spitter Spit attacks relative to its duration, and how shotgun is still somewhat the more favorable weapon compared what should be main marine weapons. Plus, though this might feel like a cop out, it feels like the game changes too often and too radically for me to get an accurate read on the meta. If I would've been asked this question a week ago or so, I would've said weapons and armor for Marines needed rebalancing to make them viable again. Now, I still am lacking in understanding the new armor system and the specifics of it, so I can't really get a read. I will say I find the rebalancing of the marine weapons to be a good move, and from what I see in the dev threads and the Git, some new Xeno strains that are being discussed look like they're steps in the right direction to deal with some of the problems xenos currently face. This is just superficial though. I will admit I'm not in the know.
    3. I'm interested more in bugfixing and possibly creating new features. As I played, I did notice some minor issues, QOL stuff like magazines not being loaded properly, the broken Rail/Flashgrip light, FIX ME textures, engineering bugs, etc that could be fixed. I also thought of a few ideas that could possibly be used for HVH or special events, like implementing Languages as an actual skill or mechanic, or some optional mechanics for the CL.
    4. I have not. However, I will readily say that there are two (i think) BYOND accounts in my household that play on the CM server. Myself and my younger brother both play on this server, since he was the one who introduced me to SS13. We don't share accounts, at best we sometimes play on the server at the same time whenever I get on with our friend group for a gaming session. I believe their BYOND account is something with 'Moose', I can always confirm if needed. I believe I alerted a member of the administration, Aceluke, previously about this when my brother and I were playing together one day.

An edit to Answer 3: While I do lean more towards bug fixing and back end work, I do have some specific ideas I would like to possibly create or implement that run along the lines of QOL fixes. I don't intend to overhaul the whole game or anything outside my place, just create a few distinct and specific features. I already have a few specifics on my mind that I'm greatly debating if it would be a positive change.
    Last edited by Mafs; 05-11-2019 at 07:39 AM. Reason: New ideas born from inspiration during a specific round following this post

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, we had our development meeting and have discussed your app.

So far you are not that well known within our community because you are quite new. (Joined in April) And this is not important like stated.
    You are also quite active and that is a pro.
    Now before we can decide on giving you the coder test we want to know:
    Do you have any work you can link in another language then dm/byond?
    Because we would love to see some prior work if possible.

How to become senior dev.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding recent work, there's none I can really link or show. My most recent coding projects were both from last summer, both of which were HOI4 mods. One was with a mod dev team and the other was a mod I was developing personally, both of which were never completed. The dev team's project managers expanded the scope too far until it collapsed, and then I stopped playing HOI4 once the new DLC came out. For Java it was almost entirely classwork, of which all/vast majority of it has been deleted or lost since I graduated HS a full year ago. LUA/C++ was just me going into specific games to edit specific things like sounds, textures, fix a bug that annoyed me etc, but no actual projects or work over a period of... 5 years (just amateur modding since about 2014). I never really took part in any official coding work until I was recruited by a HOI4 mod's dev team, and the experience left a sour taste in my mouth so I haven't done any official development before and since then.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafs View Post
    snip
    It's fine if you do not have anything to present now but try to code something using a different codebase such as the TGMC codebase. We need to be able to gauge your ability to code in DM, and doing it with a decently-sized codebase would be a major plus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDonkified View Post
    It's fine if you do not have anything to present now but try to code something using a different codebase such as the TGMC codebase. We need to be able to gauge your ability to code in DM, and doing it with a decently-sized codebase would be a major plus.
    Alright, I'll try to see if I can take one of the ideas I had and turn it into some working prototype code. I'll also write a few extra things just to demonstrate proficiency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll be curious to see what you have created so far, we will be holding a meeting this weekend to discuss dev applications, so having whatever you want to show off presentable by then would be great.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a note. We did discuss your app during our meeting but we are waiting for your reply.

How to become senior dev.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awan View Post
    Just a note. We did discuss your app during our meeting but we are waiting for your reply.
    Apologies, I had IRL commitments that I only learned of Friday night and didn't get a chance to sit down and finish for most of Friday through this Sunday night. I alerted the moderator Aceluke late friday night asking if he could convey to the dev team that I hadn't finished my code and proficiency examples and that I would like more time to finish and give the dev team a better finished product. I'll have things ready in a few days and then I'd be happy to take the code test as well and complete this app.