User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Remove Whitelists

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Blood View Post
    I think a world where anyone can play predator is what we need. Consider it accepted.
    Turn the whitelisted preds into elders and make youngblood preds can be choosen. Make sure they read up the the honor code. if they fuck up, Non-appeable perma job ban.
    and i returned, and left. and returned again 19/06/2022, this is my life now.

Former Moderator Trainer. If you have any questions regarding Moderation Duties, feel free to DM me: Hunk1#9842

A bigger truth has never been spoken.

Props to nanu for the picture.

My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    Xo has 5 other people to help him in CIC alone none the less squad leaders and POs and all sorts of shit. Queen is the entire leadership by herself.

I dont even care about that though the reason why I say the queen should be whitelisted more than the CO is because the queen has 100% authority and can tell xenos to kill themselves and can get you banned for not doing what she says. That is completely different than CO and should have OOC checks on it in my opinion. Queen also can literally lose the round by not doing something as simple as using ovipositor because xenos cant evolve without her. Marines can literally play the entire game without the CO and it wont make much difference. The only thing a CO can abuse is battlefield execution and imprisonments (good luck doing that if you are on the ground too cause). Other than that CO cant really do shit to you.
    The fact that you have to do what the Queen says makes the job so much easier. People can choose whether or not they want to listen to the CO/SL/SO/XO. It most cases, this leads to disorganization, which causes the marines to get fucked by xenos fairly quickly.

Any Queen that won't ovi is literally going to get devolved by admins. You have to manually choose the Queen preference, so rarely do you have balds playing Queen now. You can argue "don't enable a CO preference and balds wont choose it", but the issue with that is that they will. Anyone looking to grief will pick the highest command role and then dick around, which will lose the marines the round. There is no devolve for the CO. There's a mutiny, which takes manpower, ammo, time, etc. to execute. This only draws time from the marine's pool, in which xenos are growing stronger for every second wasted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion is, white-lists are a good idea, gone wrong; I've felt this way since 2014.
    White-lists do remove some forms of grief, other forms of grief just get redirected into a different role; a dedicated griefer is a pain.
    Grief is always going to happen, regardless of what policies you have; but you can design admin tools to combat it.
    Enforcement is always a challenge to do, regardless of how great the staff members are; but one bad incident can make staff quit or be removed.

Ultimately, I'd rather the issue get handled by the moderators/admins/heads; they are the ones who have to deal with the circus, and they can judge whether they want more or less things to deal with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I�d like it if the approval process for white lists was less strict regarding player reputation. Some people don�t have hours of time to spend playing and building their awareness. The review should be based on the quality of the app, not �never heard of you.�

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's hope devs won't ever read this thread

Whitelisted Captain ScreamingIdiot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesome View Post
    I�d like it if the approval process for white lists was less strict regarding player reputation. Some people don�t have hours of time to spend playing and building their awareness. The review should be based on the quality of the app, not �never heard of you.�
    Reputation is basically just a measure of consistent good behaviour that more or less guarantees that you won't immediately abuse your whitelist role. If any random nobody could get a whitelist it would totally invalidate the point of having whitelists in the first place.

Commodore Lorenzo Fiore / Sergeant Callisto Fiore / Synthetic Gary
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    4th Division, 4th Brigade, 4th Aerospace Division, 1st Colonial Support Group
    THE FALLING FALCONS
    USS ALMAYER

Part of the CO council. PM me for any and all CO related needs and I'll help you along.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScreamingIdiot View Post
    Reputation is basically just a measure of consistent good behaviour that more or less guarantees that you won't immediately abuse your whitelist role. If any random nobody could get a whitelist it would totally invalidate the point of having whitelists in the first place.
    Eh, for a start if someone was to �immediately abuse the white list role� then just remove their whitelist. And as has been shown, people who have reputations are still likely to abuse it anyway. So that�s not an argument.

Also not everyone without a reputation or notoriety is a �random nobody.� You can have people who have been on the server for years, and are good players, but their names are not that well known. Like I said, not everyone has the time to log on every weekday or weekend to build up their presence among the community. It�s frankly a little absurd to consider that a requirement, and boils down more to popularity contests and who can cause the wackiest hijinx to get noticed, rather than necessarily being a great RPer. Really this reputation requirement is preventing a lot of people, who would otherwise make excellent predators/commanders/synths, from wanting to apply. Basically what your reply proves is that whitelists are more about a popularity than quality of players.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I've played on CM for about 3 years now and I can honestly say that I don't know the byond username of any character other than my own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesome View Post
    Really this reputation requirement is preventing a lot of people, who would otherwise make excellent predators/commanders/synths, from wanting to apply. Basically what your reply proves is that whitelists are more about a popularity than quality of players.
    Quite true. This is something I myself have been struggling with. I know that I am mechanically competent enough to play a synth, but I know that if I put up my application right now, my recent period of inactivity would strongly work against me.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grinkgo View Post
    Quite true. This is something I myself have been struggling with. I know that I am mechanically competent enough to play a synth, but I know that if I put up my application right now, my recent period of inactivity would strongly work against me.
    Meh, all whitelist roles aren't worth the trouble. Do you want to be CO and Pred? Beno Queen is right open for everyone.
    CO is just XO, but with more responsibility.
    Pred is just a slighty better ancient lurker but with OOC rules.
    Synth is just glorified MT and Doctor depending on what is needed, but with multiple uninteresting OOC gimmicks and mechanics that are forced. This one I was really interested in December, but since they scrapped G1's during my two month cooldown I scrapped my input then.

Also: You don't have to be really known by the community, just check accepted Synth applications. Most of the threads there came from a players that marine names I've never saw in my CM life.