Chance Warden
    Their BYOND Key
    Starmute
    Approximate time and date of the incident
    ~7:10 PM CST
    Which Staff Protocols (//showthrea...-and-Protocols) were broken
    Enforcement of the Rules, Determine the Seriousness of the Issue
    Description of the incident
    @Leegoon#0763 posted a Garfield gif bowing in #shitposting, and then Starmute warned them not to spam posts. There was a brief spat between the two of them where Leegoon pointed out the rules in the Discord channel, and stated he wasn't spamming images (he posted exactly once, and the last time that particular gif was posted by him was numerous hours ago).

I posted a gif of the actor Nick Frost, from Hot Fuzz, saying "Shame." as he loaded a shotgun. I posted this gif three times. The gifs were deleted and I was pinged by Starmute, who gave me the warning tag.

#shitposting channel description explicitly mentions that you can't "spam things tens-to-hundreds of times". The whole reason this rule was implemented was because people used to spam the same images over and over again while shitposting, to the point where Discord clients were slowing down or crashing. Spamming images or gifs a few times has always been allowed, so long as it remains in shitposting. With this in mind, I view any level of punishment to be unwarranted and the warning tag unnecessary.
    Evidence
    Check audit logs before they disappear.
    How you would punish the accused
    I just want my warning tag removed and the rule clarified to Starmute.
    Last edited by Kineem; 05-17-2019 at 03:39 AM. Reason: time zone

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He posted it twice. I deleted one post. I was in the middle of warning him not to double post in such a quick period of time or it could be considered spam. Right after that you triple posted shame gif. I don't need a page full of someone catcalling while I'm trying to explain why I took something down that's why you got a warning.

Legion didn't get a warning.
    Last edited by starmute; 05-17-2019 at 12:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by starmute View Post
    He posted it twice. I deleted one post. I was in the middle of warning him not to double post in such a quick period of time or it could be considered spam.
    Him posting something twice isn't spam. Nobody would consider it to be spam unless you were actively looking for something to punish. The semantics between what is and isn't spam doesn't matter, because whether or not you consider it to be spam, spamming is not a rule break according to #shitposting-specific rules.

I was in the middle of warning him not to double post in such a quick period of time or it could be considered spam. Right after that you triple posted shame gif. I don't need a page full of someone catcalling while I'm trying to explain why I took something down that's why you got a warning.

According to the timestamps on this image, there was a solid three minutes in between his final message and me posting the three gifs. The gifs themselves were deleted, of course, but I know this is the exact moment I posted those gifs as you said "le sigh" moments after my posting and then deleted the gifs.

You weren't typing anything out, nor were you in the middle of attempting to warn him for something. I had only just posted those three gifs and didn't say anything after. Additionally, once you handed out a warning tag to me, you then said nothing further to Leegoon in regards to his post, which contradicts your claims that you were "in the middle of warning him".

You weren't discussing anything with him anymore.

I also wouldn't really call posting three gifs to be "catcalling" or particularly inflammatory in any way. When I was given the warning tag, instead of lashing out in response at the warning or calling you names for doing so, I simply asked you where I was supposed to take this incident so that the rule can be clarified to you and I can get my warning tag removed. You're grasping at straws here.

Let's not pretend this isn't an official warning from a discord moderator.
    Last edited by Kineem; 05-17-2019 at 01:09 AM.
    Chance Warden

Duke the Synthetic, Karr'Thesh the Yautja
    ex-synth councilman and retired moderator

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering what you did afterwards and I didn't ban you for....... You can be reasonablly sure that that wasn't a official warning regarding spam. If so I would have been giving warnings the whole time. I took issue with the catcalling simple as that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By definition, what you said is a warning. Your message very clearly comes across as an official warning, yet you never specified that it wasn't up until now.

I don't understand how you can try to make the argument that you're not actually warning people for spamming in shitposting when you literally say "Quit spamming the same picture". Leegoon clearly thinks you're warning him, which is why he made such a fuss about it on the Discord. Despite this, you were content with letting him think it was an official warning by a discord moderator; you didn't clarify it wasn't a warning, until now, where it's in your best interest to deny that you gave him a warning.

But, for the sake of argument, let's ignore your previous remarks, let's ignore that you took administrative action by deleting one of his two gifs, and let's assume you gave me and only me an official warning.

At the end of the day, what I did was post the same gif three times in a row in a shitposting channel, minutes after you had finished pinging a particular player, telling them that they shouldn't do something or else they get in trouble for it. This isn't against the CM Discord rules. There is no rule that states Discord mods are allowed to slap warning tags onto people whenever they feel like it if they feel like they're being "catcalled", or whatever. You're a Discord mod, not a dictator with full reign to punish people for any reason that you want.

But for the sake of argument, let's assume my actions were unreasonable, they were rule breaks, and I deserved punishment.

If what I did is a rule break, then you singled me out and ignored the other couple of people that also began spamming gifs in #shitposting, in rebellion to you telling Leegoon not to post gifs more than once. You ignored other people who had gone out of their way to question you and shitposted about your decision to give me the warning tag or your decision to tell Leegoon not to spam gifs.

You jump the gun and give me the warning tag when I have a clean record both in game and on the Discord. I have been punished twice before in my year+ history of CM, once on Discord and once in game, both times of which were accidental and I promised not to do them again. There are gradual steps, and that includes simple verbal warnings. You didn't have to resort to instantly giving me a warning tag, which is typically only reserved for people who are very close to being banned from the server for good. Despite this fact, I now deserve the warning tag.

For posting a gif three times.

This is all I have to say in regards to the incident and I eagerly await a manager's opinion on the issue.
    Last edited by Kineem; 05-19-2019 at 05:55 PM.
    Chance Warden

Duke the Synthetic, Karr'Thesh the Yautja
    ex-synth councilman and retired moderator

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see no warning against Legion in the adminbiz channel. He was told off and not warned.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick update:
    Took off the warning tag due to the warning time running out (3 days) as per standard.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If discord staff tell you to do something, just listen to them. Saying, "I'm not breaking any rules," and then continuing to do what they just asked you not to do is just actively trying to bait a response from staff. As such, if you're going to try to play with fire, don't complain if you get the most minor of burns in return. Resolved, no action was required.