User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big 5 discussion 4. DEFCON & Objectives.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough. Keep up the good work.
    This is war, survival is your responsibility
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Synthetic: Nicholas
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Defcon 1 right now just forces a timed version of the Xenos pushing the LZ fob fight, something that happens most rounds and it doesn't directly benefit those who assist in gathering intel

I'd rather that defcon 1 sent in a (marine friendly) death squad (echo squad, whatever you wanna call them, just make them strong as death squad) of 5-10 people to take care of remaining xenos,
    and at the same time when it activates it changes the end of round conditions for victory for both sides to planetside elimination only

ex)
    -defcon 1 activates
    -shuttle is auto called up from LZ in 1 minute
    -deathsquad spawns on almayer and boards LZ, along with anyone else on almayer that wants to
    -after few minutes shuttle goes back down, once it goes down it is on lockdown the rest of the game/usuable
    -end of round changes so that the last side remaining *on the planet* wins

those who have given more points towards defcon are priority selected for the deathsquad position, regardless if they're still alive or dead, so the more they looked the more likely they'll get to have a fun reward for their efforts and also prevents clueless people from getting to do it

really I don't find attacking the nuke fun, it's just a super FOB which can happen even in normal rounds
    I'd rather fight souped up marines

xeno main so I don't know how easy it is to gather defcon/how much it can be cheesed, or if it even tracks who gets credit for getting intel but still
    Last edited by reuben owen; 05-20-2019 at 05:28 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest problem I see with DEFCON is, as stated before, a lack of options.

And on top of that, stupid options on that.

For example, DEFCON 2. Outside of LV, you will get DEFCON when you are in a prolonged game and either:

- Have already won
    - Have already lost

There is no inbetween. Because of how DEFCON works, it is based on map control. If you already control 80% of the map that is needed to get DEFCON 2, you no longer need DEFCON 2; so tank LTB is fucking useless outside of LV where you can get DEFCON 2 before the fog even drops.

On top of this, the pure lack of options. You can't save up your points and try something like double emergency troop reinforcements so you can get two specs and SL's to replace your losses, you can't get spec kits instead of Req points to replace Specs with living PFC's so you can push out of FOB, you can't order 3-4 cryo marine reinforcements if you hit DEFCON 3-2 instead of Troop reinforcements so you can actually stay in the game and push out.

Its always the same braindead choices which don't care about the actual battlefield situation; you could be winning or losing and need certain things but all you can pick is:

DEFCON 5 - Req points
    DEFCON 4 - Cryo reinforcements
    DEFCON 3 - Troop reinforcements
    DEFCON 2 - Tank parts, 1 req points OR all Req points

Choosing anything else would be wasting your DEFCON points and would be actively throwing the round at that point unless it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, such as if your RO orders 3 sentry guns which forces you to get more req points instead of reinforcements because they are retarded (this has happened to me).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    atm DEFCON does not spice the round at all and doesn't incentive the player directly for working toward it instead of towards a xeno corpse

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who plays IO all the rounds i will like to give you guys some feedback about DEFCON and IOs in general:

-Even when you can gather all the intel (papers, disks, folders, terminals, etc..) you are not able to even hit DEFCON 3 sometimes due to a large number of dead marines and lizards.
    -We ALWAYS, even in rounds where I manage to gather all the intel in the map (LV), have disks without passwords.
    -The IOs are never assigned to any squad and when they are is really hard to gather intel so you are most of the time doing your job alone.
    -IOs equipment right now is just bad no matter from where you see it and here is why:
    1-IOs armor sucks ANY alien can send me to crit with 1 hit, I actually remove it from me and pick up the heavy armor plate/SL armor if possible. The small nerf in speed means nothing when you can take more than 1 hit without been in crit.
    2-The binoculars are a joke and I don't know why they have it at all, is dark you can't see shit and even in the late game is worthless, I always drop it and pick up the one who can laze from a radio kit so at least I'm useful in late game if we are in the FOB trapped.
    3-We are 80% of the time in the dark so we, again, need something from the radio kit, the flare gun.
    4-Even with the flaregun (Who right now is bugged so each time I fire a flare I have to turn off and on the light of my armor in order to make it work again) motion detector is a MUST HAVE to know if there is any alien close to me.
    5-My ID can't actually open -any- APC so I always need to take a screwdriver, multitool, and wire cutter to hack the APC and allow me to change the battery.
    6-We have 0 medical knowledge so we can't use pills while we are alone in the dark, so each scratch is lethal and we have to take with us a medikit.
    7-Doctors are most of the time busy and we don't have access to the morgue or the alien container to place the dead lizards/marines.

In resume, they have little to no space to take everything they need to survive/Do their job and even if they survive they can't place the dead marines/Xenos where they should be to gain the points and the game values WAY more corpse over papers, disks, folders, terminals and items.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good discussion.

I've always sorted wanted like a marine special ops reinforcement wave either from cryo or a shuttle. Basically like halo spartans or navy SEALs. Maybe as a defcon asset.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still stand by having a ticking score for DEFCON, just slow enough to strongly deter marine delay.
    Tyson 'Bunny' Sphere

Mentor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I would enjoy is Defcon levels adding additional options for the ASRS retrieval to automatically give, such as returning explosives to the pool, and one of the options for defcon 2/1 being the ability to purchase spec kits for like 100/120 points but idk.
    Kennard Davis
    -Captain
    -Medic
    -Trap
    -Spec
    -Retired from the Game, just a Forum Lurker now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Defcon giving a series of passive non-combat related benefits outside of purely point based ones could be a dandy idea.

Think a series of small buffs just as it goes up. Faster Elevator speed in cargo, Shorter delay between annoncements for command by a few seconds every level, Speed up the dropships travel time. Speed up for the tank maybe(very small)? Reduced breakdowns for the ships engines so engis dont need to worry about it so much once rounds get long in the teeth. Faster auto doc speed to compensate for potential doctors going SSD?

Just very very small buffs to these things that maybe you couldnt tell the difference between each step between, but compairing the first and last you'd actually see a nice sized buff. These would happen automatically and not be something you have to buy so you can just get the benefits without having to worry if its worth it at all.

Another idea I'd like to see tested would be if EVERY level of defcon gave you most of the things you could spend points on. Like, if you got the cargo points, the dropship, the tank points, mayyyyyybe the renforcements and whatever else EVERY level of defcon (maybe scaled down). Just to see how it would effect things really. To see if this would even have any kind of impact at all on the balance of things. Could show the weight of weather or not some of these things are ANY kind of worth it or if youre just throwing points.
    Last edited by WinterClould; 06-01-2019 at 02:52 AM.
    Chen "Disco" West, Proud recipient of the "Realest Nigga on the Bloc" Award.
    My Dossier, it's good. Trust me. Read it.
    Secondary Objective: Stay Safe, Stick Together, Kick the ass of anything that might need an ass kicking. If you find any booze bring it up to CIC for me please.
    Not everyone who lost their life on Space Nam' died there. Not everyone who came home from Space Nam' ever left there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Defcon unlocking Requisition equipment sounds like a great idea!