User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bring back the old HPR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old HPR actually looked like a SAW/squad support weapon.

New HPR just looks like someone's autistic nerf gun mod gone wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't honestly noticed much of a difference. It's not that bad, and the HPR is rare enough to be a huge concern.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don�t see an issue with it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta agree, the old HPR had an easier to read profile and a unique shape that better fit its role as a SAW.

The new sprite is just an uglier version of the rifle and it's hard to distinguish between the two laying on the ground.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sprite I can handle but the old HPR sound was godly, why did they have to make it sound like a nerf gun?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Due to our legacy sprite policy, (which the old HPR, and you can infer, majority weapons presently fall under. M39 Re-draw soonTM) will not be reverted as we move towards a unified firearms palette and further develop the art-style as a whole.

The M41AE2 and M41A MK1 were tests for this move in a different stylistic direction.

Regarding �Why did we change it?�, well beside being a test, that's just, our job as spriters. If there's something someone wants to change, and the spriter team general agrees it is an improvement, it is considered fair game. Even aliens fall under this category. Not to say we're adjusting them, as certainly no one wants to (biological sprites are very difficult), but just to make an example. Even iconic content isn't 'protected' so to speak, however understand that even one voice on the development team can block a re-sprite going forward. We offer credit to any developer who wishes to make comment.

Will iconic content likely change? Probably not. We're interested in expanding the visual language of the game, not re-writing it. As we replace bay12 and TG content, we consider other CM content that's fallen out of date with our standards, but are unlikely to usually change it due to the codification of that content into player culture. But, as said earlier, iconic content changes can and sometimes will get considered and move forward.

The HPR design was seen as a test into the universal palette, and simply put, the niche weapon at the time was ripe for re-draw given that the old sprite violated a large slew of our art standards. It had around 50+ colors. Armor on the other hand, has around 8 to 9. Less colors is more ideal.

A good example is the trauma pack, it only has 4 shades of green, and 3 browns.

There were multiple HPR designs put forward, such as one with an M60 style barrel, one with a large single 20mm cannon like look to it (more akin to the original). However all of these were shot down for �Not being Aliens enough�. And while we are only inspired by that franchise, the comment was valid as is.

The same goes for the sound design. The original proposed sounds (The sound code itself had the following: //placeholder FX, since forever) were also viewed as �Not Pulse Rifle enough�.
    If you happen to be an audio engineer, get in contact with us, none of us are professionals in that regard.

The original sound itself is also recycled onto a bunch of other guns, we changed it because we wanted the M41AE2 to be unique in the soundscape. Similar to the turret sound change.

The present sound is a mix of the sampled Pulse Rifle FX and distortion elements.

If you'd like to see us actually consider changing the M41AE2 visuals (I personally would love to edit again, and am also not satisfied with the present visual), as well as the sounds, please direct yourself to the Gitlab.

If you'd like more long form answers like this in the future explaining the background and context, direct yourself to the Development Forums that have just opened.

Don't forget to be polite, not everyone likes having their hard work rained upon. Hostility and aggression does not incentivize or inspire us developers to work on or fix content. We do work for free after all.

I am the art style.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triiodine View Post
    Due to our legacy sprite policy, (which the old HPR, and you can infer, majority weapons presently fall under. M39 Re-draw soonTM) will not be reverted as we move towards a unified firearms palette and further develop the art-style as a whole.

The M41AE2 and M41A MK1 were tests for this move in a different stylistic direction.

Regarding �Why did we change it?�, well beside being a test, that's just, our job as spriters. If there's something someone wants to change, and the spriter team general agrees it is an improvement, it is considered fair game. Even aliens fall under this category. Not to say we're adjusting them, as certainly no one wants to (biological sprites are very difficult), but just to make an example. Even iconic content isn't 'protected' so to speak, however understand that even one voice on the development team can block a re-sprite going forward. We offer credit to any developer who wishes to make comment.

Will iconic content likely change? Probably not. We're interested in expanding the visual language of the game, not re-writing it. As we replace bay12 and TG content, we consider other CM content that's fallen out of date with our standards, but are unlikely to usually change it due to the codification of that content into player culture. But, as said earlier, iconic content changes can and sometimes will get considered and move forward.

The HPR design was seen as a test into the universal palette, and simply put, the niche weapon at the time was ripe for re-draw given that the old sprite violated a large slew of our art standards. It had around 50+ colors. Armor on the other hand, has around 8 to 9. Less colors is more ideal.

There were multiple HPR designs put forward, such as one with an M60 style barrel, one with a large single 20mm cannon like look to it (more akin to the original). However all of these were shot down for �Not being Aliens enough�. And while we are only inspired by that franchise, the comment was valid as is.

The same goes for the sound design. The original proposed sounds (The sound code itself had the following: //placeholder FX, since forever) were also viewed as �Not Pulse Rifle enough�.
    If you happen to be an audio engineer, get in contact with us, none of us are professionals in that regard.

The original sound itself is also recycled onto a bunch of other guns, we changed it because we wanted the M41AE2 to be unique in the soundscape. Similar to the turret sound change.

The present sound is a mix of the sampled Pulse Rifle FX and distortion elements.

If you'd like to see us actually consider changing the M41AE2 visuals (I personally would love to edit again, and am also not satisfied with the present visual), as well as the sounds, please direct yourself to the Gitlab.

If you'd like more long form answers like this in the future explaining the background and context, direct yourself to the Development Forums that have just opened.

Don't forget to be polite, not everyone likes having their hard work rained upon. Hostility and aggression does not incentivize or inspire us developers to work on or fix content. We do work for free after all.
    tldr

change it back it sucks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triiodine View Post

While I want to disagree with the level of toxicity in the rest of the comments in this thread, I want to support the general argument being put forward here.

A gitlab request for this was posted two days ago by myself. You can view my opinion of the change there. The old HPR sprite was by far one of my favourite sprites in the game and I would like to see its return.

https://gitlab.com/cmdevs/ColonialMarines/issues/6670

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no spriter, but I do understand the consuming length one takes to sprite content for ss13.

Although this may be asking a lot, perhaps a spriter could investigate trying to resprite the HPR to use the same palette standard as the new HPR, but to sprite the gun to look identical to the old HPR.

If the new HPR sprite was just the old one but updated to a better standard, it might sit better.

Personally, I like the new sprite but I can see why many people dislike it, since I feel it loses a lot of the chunky and weighty feel of the old sprite, and the new one does have a bit of a lighter feel despite being a LMG.
    This is war, survival is your responsibility
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Synthetic: Nicholas
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I like the new HPR.