0 Thread(s)

scidiot17 - Rule 15, 2.

Player Report
    Your Byond ID?
    ChengChan

Your Character Name?
    Cheng Chan

Accused Byond Key(if known):
    scidiot17 (maybe this is the key for telling me OOC no hard feelings)

Accused Character Name
    Callisto Fiore

Approximate time and date of the incident (Central US Time for fastest results)
    GMT+8

What rule(s) were broken:
    Rule 15, 2.

Description of the incident:
    The Captain told chief military police to show a demonstration about communism not to use a stun baton, pepper spray and flash the XO.

first of all I wasn't wanted or the Captain didn't arrest me. You are judgmental that because my nickname was a PLA? Nickname doesn't define the character. You are abusing. That's called being a low rp.

The captain message me in discord and and he apologize, he didn't expect that CMP will do that. He didn't ask to hurt me. Follow the Marine Law. You just did a warcrime.

Evidence (screenshots, logs, etc):
    Yeah I wasn't able to get evidence since we got a construction here and I wasn't able to ahelp for being a busy. Grim told me to make a player report.

How you would punish the accused:
    Removal of CMP role or MP for abusing and being a low rp or a warning.
    Last edited by ChengChan; 05-21-2019 at 05:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy, I was the CO that round. I was trying out a new character who plays a tough as nails, anti-communist CO. At roundstart, I ordered my officers to come to my quarters where I lectured them on the evils of communism. Several of them started voicing their support of communism and cracking jokes, and since I didn't want to brig half my staff or cause a mutiny, I asked the MPs to "scare them straight" by giving a demonstration in CIC. The idea I was going for was a short lecture about the penalties for communist sympathies in the corps and just generally trying to get some early-round shipside RP going. Unfortunately, I do think the CMP took the demonstration too far. I was hoping the CMP would yell a little bit, maybe do some /me emotes, and leave to let the round continue as normal. However, Chan was batoned and sprayed in rapid order, at which point I stepped in and told the CMP to stop, when he then flashed Chan and finished.

I would like to take partial responsibility for these events; I should have been more clear in what I was expecting and I should have immediately stepped in when he pulled out the baton before he could do anything. I didn't have time to react since it happened fast and I wasn't prepared for it to go that extreme. If anyone has additional questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Whitelisted Captain ScreamingIdiot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I was the CMP that round, the person who is being reported.

I want to clarify the IC context of the round before I get into why I took this specific course of action.

Near round-start, I get paged by the CO about how his staff is incompetent and are communist sympathizers. Immediately I am on edge since I assume he wants me to leverage charges of Neglect of Duty at best, or outright Sedition at worst since either charge leveraged at them would warrant strict punishment (particularly for commissioned personnel).
    However, the CO asks me to "scare them straight" with a "demonstration of what we do to communists." In the interest of keeping the round moving forward without enacting a massive pogrom, along with creating an opportunity for RP, I agree. I ask how he would like me proceed with the demonstration, suggesting either a short lecture or getting into the "nitty-gritty" of it. The CO asks me to be severe in my demonstration, which I comply with.
    Based off the CO's request, I suggest that my demonstration be on advanced interrogation, AKA torture, and that it be done with a strictly willing volunteer. The CO acknowledges this.

Now I'll get into the details of the demonstration itself:

After briefing, I arrive at CIC whereupon the CO calls the XO, Cheng Chan, forward as a volunteer. At this point I assume the CO has briefed them on what the demonstration entails, so I simply suggest (IC) that the XO should "relax and unclench his jaw."
    Following this comment, I proceed to stunbaton and pepperspray the XO once as I describe common interrogation tactics in the field that emulate the current demonstration. The CO at this point vocalizes mild concern for the XO, but does not order me to stop.
    Following the initial demonstration, I follow with a flash and another pepperspray in quick succession while lecturing the CIC staff about how this is a common technique used to overwhelm the senses. Immediately following this, the CO orders me to stop, which I do so promptly.
    The CO seems a bit concerned about the severity of the demonstration, but acknowledged that I got the "point across." The XO is bitter about the demonstration, whereupon I point out it was voluntary and condoned by the CO. I clarify that there are no hard feelings, and after the XO declines an offer of painkillers and a quick shower, I promptly make my leave.

Reasoning for my course of action:

From what I understood from the CO, the severity of the unprofessional, seditious behaviour of the rest of the CIC staff was much greater than what I later understood. Working from the CO's testimony, and his assurance that the demonstration would be strictly voluntary, I took the opportunity to make a more impactful statement on the dangers of sedition and communist sympathy. In this case, I opted for a simplified, restrained, and clinical demonstration of advanced interrogation.

To clarify, I took specific care so as to not cause undue harm to the XO, the volunteer, through the course of the demonstration. There was no harmbattoning, name-calling, or unrestrained abuse of any kind, particularly that which would affect his ability to perform his duties in CIC or the field.
    Furthermore, I also want to make it absolutely clear that this was not motivated by an OOC grudge against Cheng or Communism in general. I have already discussed this in private with Cheng.

Finally, I'd like to clarify that my actions in-game were done strictly for IC purposes. When serious concerns are raised about the loyalties and behaviour of commissioned staff, a CMP is expected to fully cooperate with the CO to excise and handle these matters in an unbiased, yet objective manner that complies with both the OOC rules and the IC lore of CM. Specifically, that communism or communist sympathies are outright condemned in the USCM and the rest of the United Americas owing to the Tienstin Campaign, tensions with the UPP, and the rise of the CLF.

I am of the opinion this matter could have been solved strictly IC as a matter of miscommunication, but I understand the concerns of everyone involved in the situation.
    If the staff has any additional questions about any of the aforementioned events or my course of action, please let me know.

Commodore Lorenzo Fiore / Sergeant Callisto Fiore / Synthetic Gary
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    4th Division, 4th Brigade, 4th Aerospace Division, 1st Colonial Support Group
    THE FALLING FALCONS
    USS ALMAYER

Part of the CO council. PM me for any and all CO related needs and I'll help you along.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The XO became bitter." I wasn't wanted or against from the Command but you went too far. I didn't expect that your demonstration could hurt someone else. I thought you are going to share some examples "What should we do from a communist." For example: Communist shall be thrown in jail or shall be executed. That's what I thought.
    Last edited by ChengChan; 05-22-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Community Mentor
    11-14-2019

Whitelisted Captain ScreamingIdiot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChengChan View Post
    "The XO became bitter." I wasn't wanted or against from the Command but you went too far. I didn't expect that your demonstration could hurt someone else. I thought you are going to share some examples "What should we do from a communist." For example: Communist shall be thrown in jail or shall be executed. That's what I thought.
    From what I understood the CO clarified what the demonstration would entail. I assumed he would've briefed you all about this prior, but I assumed incorrectly. Regardless, I admit I should have been extra sure and briefed you about the details of the demonstration before carrying it out.

Commodore Lorenzo Fiore / Sergeant Callisto Fiore / Synthetic Gary
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    4th Division, 4th Brigade, 4th Aerospace Division, 1st Colonial Support Group
    THE FALLING FALCONS
    USS ALMAYER

Part of the CO council. PM me for any and all CO related needs and I'll help you along.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You weren't very forthright with what the demonstration would entail, and even then, when you asked if I wanted the "nitty-gritty," the context seemed like you were just going to yell at them and get up in their face, not brutalize them in the middle of CIC. When they have vice cops talk about drugs in high schools, they bring in a meth addict, show pictures of heroin abuse, and talk about the legal penalties, but they don't tase them or whack them with night sticks. It's "nitty-gritty," but not obscene. Again, I should have been more clear in what I wanted and asked for more details about what you were planning, but I thought you would exercise reasonable discretion.

In any case, while I did ask for a "nitty-gritty" demonstration, the term "nitty-gritty" implies going into detail and getting heated; batoning, pepper-spraying, and then flashing the XO is none of those things, it was unnecessary and gratuitous. If I wanted to see my officers punished for their commentary, I would have just ordered them brigged and put through that rigmarole. I wanted to use it as an opportunity to roleplay out the dangers of communism, not to torture my XO.

All that aside, I would like to apologize to you, Chan. I didn't mean for that to happen to you, I had neither the intention or the notion that the "demonstration" would include that but as the person who was the efficient cause of the events, I should have done more to prevent them. Likewise, Screamingidiot, I'm sorry, I should have set more ground rules in order to prevent this entirely, but I didn't think it was necessary given the circumstances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Logs :

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you can see in the above logs. Pepper spray is not logged. I will assume though that judging by the timing of screams that Cheng was Pepper Sprayed three to four times going off of the screams, stunned by stun baton once, and flashed once. This is pretty obviously not something a CMP should be doing to a perfectly innocent man as an "Example." It was frankly a stupid thing for you to do. A very good thing to remember is that only an Admin + can give you permission to break server rules/Marine Law. And then you will be told you are allowed to via OOC means. The XO cannot give you permission the Captain can not give you permission. Not even an admiral can give permission without that OOC conversation. When in doubt. Ahelp it and ask.

That said, you have a relatively clean note history and none of your notes pertain to misconduct in the MP/CMP jobs. This is your ONE warning for those jobs.
    Read Marine Law. Follow Marine Law.

Note will be added to Scidiot17's account referencing this report and warning him against further MP/CMP rule breaks.

Resolved.