Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like this mechanic and would like to see more development on it

24 82.76%
  • I wouldn't mind replacing/scrapping it

5 17.24%
  • I don't think this mechanic can ever work and it should be removed

0 0%

Thread: Was the IO/Intel mechanic a good addition?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was the IO/Intel mechanic a good addition?

Look, I like exploring the map to collect intel as much as the next guy, but thinking on the whole DEFCON scope, was intel a good addition? I mean, considering how maps are designed and how easy it is for a group of marines to be isolated from the main group and destroyed, was it a good idea to add a role that focuses on moving around the edges of the map?

Personally, I think that DEFCON needs some changes, but for them to be effective some mechanics might need to be scrapped; intel is one of those mechanics. However, since we have all these sprites and bits of code made just for that mechanic, I was wondering how the players feel about it: is it worth keeping or should it be replaced?

It's not like we have had any major discussion about it anyways

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cool

IO is a good addition, however the intel mechanic needs rework. ALOT OF RE-WORK. Why do i say there, sometimes, when J-TAC is mostly dead and Medevacs are NOT happening, I, as Pilot Officer go help process Intel. And one of the mechanics is currently borked is the fact you CAN'T re-read the scrap/folder/progress report, forcing you to use a note system to know what you need to know.

Categorizing Intel is a pain in the ass and you can get lost on your own notes which lead to LONG TIME of processing intel.

The second issue is, you can ONLY get Defcon 1 on LV-426. On the whole time of the defcon system, i never saw Defcon one on other maps like Big Red, Prison Station, SHITDENT DAM, which lead to POOR intel localizations on those maps, trust me when i say this, it sucks to find on Solaris Ridge Medbay a folder which leads to a FUKKEN DISK ON LAMBDA XENOBIOLOGY, and when that happens, IOs just go BIG Nope even on early round and on LV that dosen't happen because THERE IS NO INTEL ON THE CAVES and it's where 90% of the fights happen all the time on LV.

The same issue happens on Prison Station, finds a folder on Warden's office which leads to a disk near Civilian residences. ffs.

Intel spawn locations need a re-work, because even with COMPETENT IOs, mostly of the rounds, on those 4 maps, you can't get more than defcon 4, with good luck and alot of body retrieving, Defcon 3, which leads to another issue, Intel is all the time relied on body retrieving because IOs can't reach the proper intel items.
    and i returned, and left. and returned again 19/06/2022, this is my life now.

Former Moderator Trainer. If you have any questions regarding Moderation Duties, feel free to DM me: Hunk1#9842

A bigger truth has never been spoken.

Props to nanu for the picture.

My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DEFCON as a system is very bad and probably will never be good because the guy who was working on it got demoted from headdev for consistently abusing powers, then he subsequently quit from the dev team. the dev team didn't want to scrap what already existed so it got somewhat finished, but there's nothing revolutionary or interesting about it. it's not built into the core gameplay loop and doesn't provide the individual marines any tangible benefits for working on it, so nobody cares about doing it because 99% of the time you'll never get a nuke.

it's not fun to do anything involving DEFCON.

it provides consistent second chances for the marines who died early in the round through marine reinforcements. that's all that it's good for.
    Chance Warden

Duke the Synthetic, Karr'Thesh the Yautja
    ex-synth councilman and retired moderator

Dev Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The objectives system that defcon got slapped on top of was a test to see how players would engage with different kinds of objective mechanics and the results of that test was "they don't"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just needs to be ironed out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the ideas I've had is to add a slowly-ticking increase in DEFCON score. Perhaps an increase of one level every hour of gameplay (or a bit less).
    This would both make sense common-sense-wise, and gameplay-wise.

1: Having DEFCON go up as the combat shows no signs of ending. No sensible military would just think 'Hm, one of our colonies is lost and the marines are getting wrecked, better de-escalate' in 90% of cases.
    2: Ticking score would allow marines to stay in the fight more reliably and longer, instead of just having rush-or-die rounds.
    3: Xenos would be forced to pressure the marines and not just delay in Ice underground or similar.
    4: All rounds would EVENTUALLY end due to nuke. Even if nobody gathers intel, 5-hour rounds would have a clearer finish line.
    5: It would not let marines just get free stuff easily, because it would be too slow and nobody wants to wait hours just for 10 extra guys spawning.
    Tyson 'Bunny' Sphere