0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NoahKirchner - Synthetic Application

Synthetic Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    NoahKirchner

Marine Name
    Scott Ivors (Enlisted) Michael Braddock (Officer/CL)

Other Whitelist Applications
    https://cm-ss13.com/old/viewtopic.php?f=150&t=17705 (No good very bad synthetic app)

https://cm-ss13.com/old/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=12301 (No good very bad but accepted CO app)

Name of the Synth Character you wish to play
    Quincy

Are you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines?
    Sure am

What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.
    A synthetic is incapable of taking offensive actions unless for the express purpose of self defense. If you are alone on the Almayer being attacked by three CLF, or a rowdy marine? You are capable of subduing them, lethally in the first case and non-lethally in the second. If you are on the front lines at the FOB and get hit with xeno spit, however, you must continue to work support roles and not actively engage the enemy.

Synthetic Character Story
    You find a crumpled note in the Almayer disposals room just before cryo time.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

What is your Synth�s quirk and personality?
    Quincy comes programmed with support for all major Earth religions. He is capable of providing comfort to marines in difficult situations regardless of their faith, soothing them with the words of the Bible, the Pali Canon or the Quran and ensuring that they are comforted by a higher power. He is also, of course, more than capable of comforting those who abstain from religious practice, even if special emphasis is placed on religion for morale purposes.

In conversation, Quincy takes a gentle, compassionate tone and posture, unlikely to butt into conversations and show large degrees of simulated empathy.

How familiar are you with Engineering?
    Too much to be healthy

How familiar are you with Command?
    I mostly play command roles

How familiar are you with Medical?
    I play medic and have surgery burned into my head, but I have no shame in admitting I still use the wiki for chemistry.

How familiar are you with Requisitions?
    I know roughly what's in each vendor and how to use the cargo elevator.

Why do you want to be a synthetic/why should we whitelist you?
    I thoroughly enjoy synthetic roleplay, some of my favourite characters in SS13 in general have been synthetic. To roleplay as something which appears so familiar and benign on top while being so indescribably alien beneath the synthskin just gives me the willies, y'know? I think I could bring some roleplay to the role for the marines I interact with each round, hopefully something memorable for them.

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason? Do you have any active jobbans?
    That's a negative, ghost rider, unless being kicked from the CM discord for verbally accosting bobby so as to "save me from myself" counts.

Are you currently banned from our Discord, and if so, why?
    I am not.

Do you have anything else you would like to include about your application?
    I understand that I am not the best at constructing narratives, not that this note is an excuse, but I assure you that I am better at roleplaying than at writing.

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
    Yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, so tell me Noah, how long until you drop the pretense of this application and start shouting MASHALLAH MARINES as you throw grenades at aliens?

I see you around, and I'm not especially convinced you have any intention aside from this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolubleWhenWet View Post
    Alright, so tell me Noah, how long until you drop the pretense of this application and start shouting MASHALLAH MARINES as you throw grenades at aliens?

I see you around, and I'm not especially convinced you have any intention aside from this.
    I can't tell if this is a joke or not, but assuming it's not - never. The goal of the synth isn't to encourage marines to fight using religious pretexts as obviously that quickly turns into memey shitposting, I plan to take a more subtle approach, obviously. In general I tend to roleplay serious characters with something to lose, and the mashallah shit is only in shitposting. If you've ever seen me ingame I try to stay as far away from OOC references and memes as possible and I think I do a pretty good job of that.

Now as for the specifics of the religion thing, I think a better word to call it is spirituality. The goal isn't to rile marines up with deus vult tier shitposting or tell them to not fear death because god is watching over them or whatever because that will get old quickly. Synthetics are exclusively support characters, and I think there's a lot of room to have more softer, gentler encouragement and subtler RP (in the sense that it's not in your face and action packed) when defending an FOB and roleplaying with marines while setting up a field hospital or whatever.

I hope you'll forgive me if my response to this question is a bit scatterbrained, it seems a bit accusatory (which I'm certainly not opposed to), but there's not really much to actually answer here. It's just more "how do you prove that you're not going to shitpost as a synth", and I point to how I roleplay all of my other characters.

(EDIT):
    Gonna edit my post because I believe my above explanation was a bit weak in terms of proving how I'm not going to shitpost as a synth.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Above are my notes. I'm pretty sure that "Called Apop a shit" note is a joke by either biolock or apop, and so discounting that one my last note was in 2016, and it wasn't for anything LRP. Counting the one from 2017, it's still been over a year since I've gotten a note (and was still OOC), and I've put a majority of my playtime in CM after 2016. I might shitpost in the discord and on the forums, but I haven't gotten in any ingame trouble in a fair bit over a year.
    Last edited by NoahKirchner; 05-23-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a reference Noah is just a goofball in discord, not IC.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about the Job bans? Your notes doesn't show any kind of lift for them.

Edit : I just checked your Command app where it shows all the appeals is kinda strange that those lifts weren't added to your notes but that fixes the main problem with me.

I'm gonna remain neutral for now Admins should Add the Accepted appeals to your notes to avoid any confusion like just happened to me.
    Last edited by edgardo; 05-23-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edgardo View Post
    What about the Job bans? Your notes doesn't show any kind of lift for them.
    http://cm-ss13.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=11754 CE Jobban lift

http://cm-ss13.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=10694 Command Jobban lift

Both of these were lifted before I got my CO whitelist, one in march 2017 (CE) the other in january 2017 (CO)

Edit: Sorry I made this post before I saw that you updated yours but I don't want to delete this now just for ease of access for anyone who wants to see more about these and make valid criticisms

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Story was really interesting and unique since you wrote it from a marine perspective, as well as the setting was really unique. It was great to read, but because you choose to write it from the marine's POV, it felt like it was the story about the marine, not the synth, altho it still showcased your quirk and a bit of personality.

Questions:

1. The message just went off that Alamo was hijacked and going for Almayer and marines are starting to panic. How would you calm them down?

2. There is a chapel on the ship, how would you use it for your roleplay?

3. Two marines are arguing about which religion is better, how does Quincy react to this?

4. Marine orders you to shout MASHALLAH!!!

5. Ship is being evacced and overrun with xenos, but command tells you to stay, what do you do?

6. There is a dead marine, a dying marine and a hole in the defense in the FOB. What do you do first?
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AcuteCircle View Post
    Story was really interesting and unique since you wrote it from a marine perspective, as well as the setting was really unique. It was great to read, but because you choose to write it from the marine's POV, it felt like it was the story about the marine, not the synth, altho it still showcased your quirk and a bit of personality.
    Answers:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Now as for the story thing, I'm glad you brought it up definitely. While the story is told from the perspective of LCpl Davis, it doesn't actually teach you anything about him aside that he's not really a religious person, and that he's a human corpsman in bravo squad (and that synths give him the heebie jeebies); Quincy is the main thing driving the story. 3 of the 6 paragraphs are almost exclusively about the actions which Quincy undertook to keep people calm given the situation, showing the fact that he's not only capable of handling one religion (and can also handle people who abstain from religion). You learn a bit about how he speaks, notably that he is soft spoken and tends to refer to people in friendly terms, "Do you need any help, friend?". Davis here is really just a spectator to the actions of Quincy, even if the story is written from his perspective. If I were to rewrite it, though, I think I would definitely try to emphasize more that Quincy is undeniably the main character, instead maybe writing it from the perspective of a colonist instead of a marine to get rid of a lot of the fluff that doesn't relate to Quincy directly, and I will concede definitely that it could be clearer. I appreciate the criticism and the compliments!
    Last edited by NoahKirchner; 05-23-2019 at 08:19 PM. Reason: clarification

Synthetic Council Member Jakkkk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love reading your story, in fact, it's one of the few synthetic stories that actually left me wanting to read more. The character development of Davis as he comes to appreciate Quincy for his religious quirk is really nice to see, and overall I thought having it through the perspective of a different character was something we haven't seen before. I'm not concerned about a lack of understanding who Quincy is and how he acts, you have a fair amount of dialogue and actions that show how he'll act.

I have no issues with this application, from how you've contacted me and how seriously you seem to take this whitelist is something I appreciate. You can be serious when you want to, and it's obvious that you want to.

+1, great example of an application.

I vouch for Noah to do a damn fine job.
    Synthetic Senator

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah ok +1
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.