Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

zenlon - Commander Application

Commander Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    zenlon

Player Name You Use Most?
    John 'Cigs' Moriarty

Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals, including whitelist and staff apps, within the last year. Also, provide "Ban reason; Verdict" beside each (job)ban link
    none

Have you received any ban within the last month? How long was it and what for?
    No

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew? Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?
    A BE is only a necessary step when it falls in line with roleplay or when roleplay is impossible. I think a BE in a roleplay situation is entirely unnecessary and is anti-fun for all parties unless its become obvious the victim of the BE is consensual with it. The only time I've been a victim of BE was a time I was entirely okay with it (Balto performed it.)

BE is a check against marines that cannot be negotiated with or self defense. Otherwise, letting MPs handle executions is optimal; it gives more agency to the rest of the server.

How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate Req, Engineering, MP, or Command Staff
    John 'Cigs' Moriarty is an aggressive man but not detail oriented, so he would likely leave his SOs to handle the minute to minute, aka "nerd shit." He is engaged with whats going on the ground more than anything on the ship, but if any sign of mutiny were to occur he would handle it personally.

His heart belongs to the marines on the ground and how he would handle a mutiny or mutinous talk even depends on the group perpetrating it:

MPs: The MPs are among the lowest of the low to John; he sees them as cowards who are unable to perform on the ground or unwilling. Any kind of mutinous talk amongst MPs would result in some erratic action on John's part. He would likely exaggerate the situation and contact USCM high command while publicly explaining to the marines the MP's betrayal.

Engineers and Req: He wouldn't even show a little bit of concern about some "nerds" who "have their glasses on too tight." He wouldn't address the mutiny at all until they were literally trying to shoot him.

Command staff: Insubbordinate command staff is an unacceptable outcome. To John, any staff in command questioning his orders do not have the best interest of the boots on the ground in mind. So he would handle it by ordering them to fight ground-side until they gain an appreciation for their position.

Normal Marines: If a normal marine challenged John's authority he would not retaliate with force and would never call the MPs into it. John prides himself on his "relatability" to the common marine and if this pride was challenged he would talk to the marines himself, refusing to let anyone intercede on his behalf. John likes the marines and has underlying guilt for not being on the ground, so he would have a difficult time condemning any marine that truly thought he was wrong.

As for prisoners, John likes to have alone time with any captured personnel including survivors. Interviewing and understanding the survivors himself out of both paranoia and need to gather intelligence.

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    The commander assures that the strategy on the ground is fun and that role play on the ship is entertaining. All players are in one way or another responsible for making the overall round enjoyable but the commander has more impact than any other. More than once I've seen entire rounds ruined despite victory because of unfun command tactics.

The flip side of this coin is that the commander should encourage roleplay ship-side. Some roles can get very boring without engaging command such as the CL or researcher, so working with these roles is vital.

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?
    While I'm inexperienced in being a commander as I'm not white-listed, as a player I find it frustrating when command is constantly deploying to the ground. I generally enjoy playing squad lead because it gives a good mix, but if you are going to take the job of managing the overall scheme you should stay where you can do it best. Some level of restriction on when command can deploy would be appreciated.

Another idea would be the ability to communicate with squad leads even when tcomms is down. The complete shutdown of radio chatter can lead to unga rushes on the side of squads, since they have no micromanaged direction.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    I think right now most commanders are either the standard one fobbit, rest scout strategy or megafob. I'm getting pretty bored of it as an SL, and I'm sure many other players feel the same way. Personally, I like the idea of aggressive gameplay with minimal FOB, but not just the standard 'oh we are prison, rush civs delta!'. I saw a round where the commander focused on intel and I thought that was interesting and inspiring as well. I think John will specialize in using CAS and OB to its full potential. Generally I want to take on more variety in strategies.

I also really enjoy the RP aspect of colonial marines and being the personal doctor to the commander was probably the most fun I've ever had. Variety in both role play and strategy is my main contribution.

Choose one of the following story topics to write about
    John 'Cigs' Moriarty was born in 2130, but shortly after he was given away to a Lutheran orphanage in Michigan. He didn't do well in school and clung to the idea that he hates all Catholics, to make himself feel superior to others. In his teenage years, he would get in trouble for minor vandalism numerous times but nothing serious enough to stop him from enlisting when he turned 18. He quickly shifted his identity to reflect a hard ass colonial marine. In bootcamp, he got into a fair number of fights with his fellow privates, but he made it out and into a unit without too much of a hitch.
    His hard-ass persona didn�t last when faced with combat. Immediately he was shocked at the cruel realities of modern warfare, with his first deployment being a bloody one against a colony attempting to gain independence. After a full tour, he was given leave for a few months, where he returned to Michigan and married the love of his wife, Mary Sue. He would go on 3 more tours, 2 of which were peaceful, before he returned to see his son for the first time; Jacob Moriarty would go on to be his undoing.
    His hard-ass persona didn�t last when faced with combat. Immediately he was shocked at the cruel realities of modern warfare, with his first deployment being a bloody one against a colony attempting to gain independence. After a full tour, he was given leave for a few months, where he returned to Michigan and married the love of his wife, Mary Sue. He would go on 3 more tours, 2 of which were peaceful, before he returned to see his son for the first time; Jacob Moriarty would go on to be his undoing.
    As much as John loved his wife, he loved the CM more. He returned rarely and slowly climbed the ranks, with promotions being delayed due to minor infractions he would earn. John would visit a year for every 3 or so he was gone but found it difficult to adapt to family life. He wanted to find a home, but he just found a son who he didn�t relate to and a wife who he felt only once loved him. His son was going through an expensive college that Moriarty�s savings paid for. His son soon enlisted as an officer in USCM research and development by the time Moriarty was getting leadership over his own squad.
    Moriarty was proud of his son, and it drove him to behave better. He worked hard and was climbing the ranks, bragging about his boy who was a successful scientist. Moriarty had numerous engagements throughout this time and his performance was above average but nothing special. He had no reputation, he just did his work and enjoyed it. He would visit his wife more frequently towards the end of the 2150s. But in 2151 Mary Sue died in a break in, murdered by thugs who were later caught and sentenced to 20 years hard time.
    No amount of prison time could bring Moriarty�s wife back, so he became a more cruel and aggressive man. He indulged in things less, most of his money went to his son, and he isolated himself from anything but battle plans. His abysmal relationship with his son led him to a crippling nicotine addiction to the point where he was constantly smoking a cigarette, something he had indulged in only socially up to this point. He never spoke with his son who in the first place he was never close to.
    It was in 2175 that Jacob Moriarty was arrested for treason. He had been leaking vital intelligence to the UPP since he graduated college. Captain Moriarty�s career from then on was paved with a path of morally questionable deployments up until he was deployed to a prison station with a distress signal in 2176.
    For 10 years he was investigated for his actions, with various accounts and security footages being released that showed some of the most horrific treatment of prisoners and UPP militants present on the station alike. Most of the corpses were charred beyond any kind of recognition and the soldiers that were on the station gave very standard answers. Unfortunately, due to this lack of direct evidence and witness testimony, he was cleared in 2186 for all crimes. After 10 years of idling in hate, John has very little patience and is known for his cruelty and aggressive tactics.

Official record of charges as of 2186:
    Minor battery of a fellow enlisted in 2148, 2149, 2151, 2155, 2160, 2163: Guilty on all accounts
    Battery of a fellow enlisted in 2153: Guilty on account
    Breaking rules of engagement: 2175, insufficient evidence
    Excessive use of force: 2176, insufficient evidence
    Breaking rules of engagement: 2176, insufficient evidence
    Illegal execution of prisoners: 2176, insufficient evidence
    Torture of prisoners: 2176, insufficient evidence

NOTE: I understand this backstory would not justify the execution of survivors without roleplay or on sight, even on prison.
    Last edited by zenlon; 05-24-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, John.

"While I'm inexperienced in being a commander as I'm not white-listed"

Remember that's your mistake. Executive officer and Captain/Commander are likely the same. Joining as an XO is a best idea to earn your experiences and you don't need to struggle when you became a Captain.

I wouldn't support for now since you cannot talk over in radio especially in Delta squad when I survived the groundside. Your annoucement is poor and couldn't be understandstable enough. Play more XO and maybe I'll give you my +1 in the future. Neutral for now and going -1 soon.

Community Mentor
    11-14-2019

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 Well written.

I like the bit about the harsh realization of war, as many marines and OCs do not address the traumatic conditions of war. I also enjoy the clap-back nature of the CO while maintaining professionalism. He does not address things that do not need to be addressed and does not abuse the law.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When is the last time you have played a CIC role?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    two days ago

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zenlon View Post
    two days ago
    I recognize you. You play a lot of PFC and SL, but I've never seen you in CIC before. Have you ever been my XO or SO? What timezone do you typically play in?

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neutral.

I want to see more of you in the Command Role more before I can actually formulate my own opinion on you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Imheretohelp View Post
    I recognize you. You play a lot of PFC and SL, but I've never seen you in CIC before. Have you ever been my XO or SO? What timezone do you typically play in?
    Don't think I've ever been your XO nor SO. I tend to play around late night PST.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings Zenlon.

I recall your name but I cannot recall you as apart of the Command Staff. I'll keep an eye out for you though.

Your story is fairly well written however I do question how a Commissioned Officer maintains their Commission after being arrested for Treason. Especially in a universe where you can be summary executed for insubordination.

Then again we also play in a universe where technologically advanced fusion reactors break after 5 minutes and the Russians manage to out-class an army supplied by the biggest MegaCorporation.

Neutral for now I'm afraid. Best of luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Decker100 View Post
    Greetings Zenlon.

I recall your name but I cannot recall you as apart of the Command Staff. I'll keep an eye out for you though.

Your story is fairly well written however I do question how a Commissioned Officer maintains their Commission after being arrested for Treason. Especially in a universe where you can be summary executed for insubordination.

Then again we also play in a universe where technologically advanced fusion reactors break after 5 minutes and the Russians manage to out-class an army supplied by the biggest MegaCorporation.

Neutral for now I'm afraid. Best of luck.
    Jacob Moriarty, his son, was arrested for treason.