User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should xenos be able to choose names?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah!

58 70.73%
  • No!

16 19.51%
  • Meh...

8 9.76%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Persistent Xeno Identifiers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Persistent Xeno Identifiers?

So, I had a thought... What if xenos could have names?

Now hear me out before you riot. I don't know if it would even be possible to implement this code wise, but the more interesting question to me is would this even be something that people wanted?

I've heard people complain about xeno RP basically being a meme. I've experienced xeno RP, and with a few exceptions I would generally tend to agree. I believe that giving xenos the ability to set names would encourage RP. From what I've seen a lot of marine RP centers around known figures. Certain COs and their reputations for either running a tight ship or throwing their marines to their deaths can motivate or demoralize marines accordingly. Certain specs, SLs, or even plain ungas who are known for being robust tend to automatically have people follow them when they charge. It's easier to follow someone you know is competent, and it's easier to RP with someone you know is fun. I can't say for certain, but I would guess that if marines were forced to have a randomly generated name and appearance every round the quantity and quality of RP would nose dive, probably followed shortly thereafter by the server population.

And now you might ask, "But UnwaveringGrey, that's all about marines. How does any of that apply to xenos?" Xenos would still be able to recognize a robust queen, and would know to play it safer around a less recognized one. Recognizably robust T3s would still be able to lead a charge as well as a recognizably robust unga. There is an in universe reason for xenos to have this sort of recognition too, just like how in universe the Falling Falcons marines have worked together before so they at least kinda know each other. In the case of the xenos the reason is that they're nodes in a hive mind. Their intrinsic mental link should allow for them to immediately know each other completely. Unfortunately, that level of knowing would involve forming an actual hivemind between the players, but it can be replicated closely enough by saying that the xenos have a "general sense of one another."

I guess the proposed change would be to add another field for the character tab with a "xeno name" text area. It could default to blank, in which case you would get a randomly generated number like currently. But if you enter a name and spawn as a xeno either to start or later in the round then the xeno has that name. The marines would just see the maturity and caste of the xeno if they examine it. The names should probably be limited RP wise to non-proper nouns or adjectives. So a name could be "speedy" or "flower" but not "Abraham Lincoln" (Yes, that last one is against the naming rules anyway, but you get the point). The names could be even more restricted if people want. Limit it to six or four letters. Or limit it to only consonants. Why not both? Even if xenos have persistent names limited to fours letters and only consonants ("qrty", "glhf", "scnc") those names could still serve as long term identifiers between xenos which will facilitate xeno RP. I don't know/care if a player dies as a xeno and respawns as another whether they would get the same name or just randomly generated numbers.

I can definitely see a few arguments against this. Do you guys think that the xenos will find a way to abuse this too much? Do you think that this would or wouldn't end up encouraging xeno RP or being fun for the xenos? Do you think that this will lead to some sort of meta-friending amongst the xenos and lead to roving bands of robust xenos and extra-salty ungas? Do you think xenos getting names doesn't fit the flavor? Do you just think that the dirty xenos simply don't deserve nice things?

At the end of the day the question is simply "Is this something we would want in our game?"

TL;DR -> Give xeno name good/bad? Maybe more RP. Maybe still meme.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This topic comes up time and time again, and I'll keep saying it time and time again that xeno needs some way to identify themselves and build an in-game rapport. But every time it's mentioned, it's denied by the devs, on the guise of elitism and favoritism (even though it already happens with marines). Like seriously, just check this: https://cm-ss13.com/old/viewtopic.php?f=133&t=19337

Personally, I don't mind having names, though I would like it to be not so jarring. Optional static number is the way to go imo. You can build cred if you want, and you can remain anonymous if you want.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish, I doubt anything has changed since the last time we asked.

Edit: I take that back the one thing that has changed is TGMC added xeno identification. Their server hasn't imploded so maybe CM devs will look at that?
    Last edited by MasterShakeEZ; 05-30-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DefinitelyAlone0309 View Post
    But every time it's mentioned, it's denied by the devs, on the guise of elitism and favoritism (even though it already happens with marines).
    Imagine if they applied the elitism thing to marines. Entire research update would have to be scrapped cause only elite players get anything from researchers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah I want it
    but those in charge dont

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DefinitelyAlone0309
    This topic comes up time and time again...
    Huh. I didn't realize that I was just bringing up an old issue. I checked through the other threads to see if anyone had posted a similar idea. I thought it was kinda strange that the first thread came from December 2018, but a forum migration explains that. Oh well.

And I can definitely see arguments that building that sort of rapport between xenos would be a negative thing. I could see there being an issue with specific robust xeno players being able to consistently draw T3 rolls over others due to name recognition.
    Last edited by UnwaveringGrey; 05-30-2019 at 03:01 PM. Reason: dumb wording

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnwaveringGrey View Post
    Huh. I didn't realize that I was just bringing up an old issue. I checked through the other threads to see if anyone had posted a similar idea. I thought it was kinda strange that the first thread came from December 2018, but a forum migration explains that. Oh well.

And I can definitely see arguments that building that sort of rapport between xenos would be a negative thing. I could see there being an issue with specific robust xeno players being able to consistently draw T3 rolls over others due to name recognition.
    I already get t3 every time i want it because im really good at playing the evolve game. Wouldnt matter if you knew who I was I would probably get it less then if someone wanted to grief me. Also t3 is overrated. I play runner/lurker more than any t3.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly don't get the argument against this, other than sticking to the hivemind lore, and we've already changed the lore several times in favor of gameplay for the better.
    Goosen Dagen-casual marine

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see no reason not to
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Young Drone (Destroyer of israel)

Yes please