User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should xenos be able to choose names?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah!

58 70.73%
  • No!

16 19.51%
  • Meh...

8 9.76%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Persistent Xeno Identifiers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanchee View Post
    Young Drone (Destroyer of israel)
    Hah. To look past the obvious reasons that would merit a bwoink, I think that in general the naming scheme would rule out any names containing proper nouns.

Just like with marine names, xeno names would have to have rules outlining what is and isn't acceptable. Either the names are kept short (like six letter maximum) or limited to some scheme like 'Adjective Noun' (ex: 'Slow Turtle', 'Gray Stone', 'Red Dog'). I'm personally a fan of the idea of the single word adjective/noun names that I suggested in the original post, but honestly I can see a lot of naming collisions coming about as a result of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The system wants xeno mains to remain in anonimity. We have to break the wheel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah shit, here we go again.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine wanting individuality in a hive mind setting.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Akabinxstar View Post
    the marines in real life literally break you down and rebuild you to be a mindless killing machine. They would never allow you to have pink hair and shit like that yet all of you want to snowflake. Whats the difference?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    the marines in real life literally break you down and rebuild you to be a mindless killing machine. They would never allow you to have pink hair and shit like that yet all of you want to snowflake. Whats the difference?
    I don't think many places allow pink hair, luckily for me, my character doesn't have that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read through that other forum thread, and I can see that this topic has been debated repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    Saying "Because the Marines can do it xenos should be able to do it too" is a trap. The reality of balancing any game with asymmetrical teams means that those teams are going to have differing abilities and rules. The xenos aren't allowed to have pink hair and tactical bandanas because of the nature of what they are. And really, if the argument is that xenos should have everything that Marines have the real thing that the xenos should be seeing for is the ability to wield guns. I wanna see a xeno running around with a captured MOU53. The Marine salt would be real. It would also be 1000% justified.
    Now that's obviously ridiculous, but my point is don't get caught in the thinking of "Marines have it so xenos should have it too."

Quote Originally Posted by Akabinxstar
    I can see how you would think that having a name means having individuality. In a normal human context having a name means being an individual. Not so for a hive mind. The classic line that comes to mind is "I am Locutus of the Borg. Prepare to be assimilated." Those aren't the words of an individual. Those are the words of a drone in the hive mind whose function was to interface with individual entities. The other drones in that hive mind likely don't need that name to identify that particular drone. They just know.
    A xeno hive would be similar. No names, just instant recognition between each of the drones as they go about their tasks. It is stated in the wiki that using names like Hydro and LZ1 is acceptable because it just represents an English translation of the non-verbal thoughts occurring in the hive mind. It is just a crutch for us to lean on since we as players aren't a part of a hive mind. Xeno names are the same way. The current system of random three digit numbers just allows for recognition during the round. It would theoretically work just as well if the devs had just generated a list of two hundred animals and assigned one to each of the xenos when they spawn, though people do tend to remember short words better than numbers... The point is that having a name doesn't make something an individual, and I would expect the same RP standards to be applied. Further, we as humans do tend to deal better with entities that have madness that we can parse. It's why the Borg generated "Locutus" instead of letting the Enterprise negotiate with "Drone 13532565322". Just like saying Hydro in hive chat, addressing the Ravager that chose the name "Daisy" by name is just something to help us as players.

The key thing too is that persistent names would allow us to recognize that the person who plays Daisy is someone who constantly mashes that evolve button to get Rav regardless of the Queen's wishes and who tends to disobey the Queen's orders. That's meta knowledge and not hive knowledge, but it's equally invaluable, and not something we could keep track of without persistent names.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want xeno to be "invisible" or "faceless", just give them unique static numbers that they can set themselves. Something like "309" or "144" will be basically the same as what we have now, but through multiple games with multiple good plays, "309" can be seen as a really robust runner/lurker, and "144" can be seen as a really safe player who excels in roles like Boiler, Crusher.

We need to really hash out what's the actual issue with giving them identification. Is it elitism or favoritism? I mean I can say that if the xeno players want to, they can meta comms and just say shit in Voice chat like "hey, I'm 144, stay on me and heal me" to the queen player. If it's elitism, then it also isn't anything new. Bald queen and bald T3s get trashed on multiple times either in Hivemind or dchat already as of now. Is it lore? I mean we've already been trying to get away from copying 100% of the lore stuff to dodge Fox's lawyers, and unique static numbers isn't gonna be that jarring or noticeable anyway. Also, why are we taking lore into consideration when gameplay should and have always been put ahead of it anyway?

At the end of the day, devs just don't agree to it for some unknown reasons, but they just keep bringing up the elitism+favoritism thing to shut this shit down. Other marine players just keep arguing with shit like "anonymity" or "faceless" too. Guys, we understand that you guys don't like xeno. But think about it, if xeno can get some QoL updates (xeno macro, for example) and this identification, you can afford to scale back their power, which makes the game better for both sides overall. Xeno gets their in-game community, and marines get their semi-balanced xeno to fight against because xeno can then finally coordinate with a known player and actually use their brain. Hell, you can then take away directional slashing too (actually the worst update in 2019, thanks guys but we didn't really ask or need it; now the game's broken AF) and I won't even doubt that change even once.
    Last edited by DefinitelyAlone0309; 05-31-2019 at 05:56 AM.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be able to statically set your number would be cool.

But I'll go nuclear every time I get killed by Ancient Lurker (69) or Ancient Boiler (420)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give us macros back before dumb names.