User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should xenos be able to choose names?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah!

58 70.73%
  • No!

16 19.51%
  • Meh...

8 9.76%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Persistent Xeno Identifiers?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im a marine player and I support xeno names.

The best and most fun moments I had as a xeno player was when I teamed up with other competent xeno players and played out complex tactics like surrounding marines before they even knew they were surrounded and annihilating them. Those are 1 in 100 rounds, however, due to how difficult it is to figure out who is who round after round, so I just stopped playing xeno unless I got bored of PBing lurkers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I support xeno identifiers. However instead of names, it could be another method of indentification? Like using adjectives or periodic elements or geographical features or... something. Just words that can be unique and differentiating besides "John" "Jack" etc. it seems kinda weird if you see byond names or like "Runner 337 (Maria Ivanovna) hisses:".

"Carrier 166 'Ravenous' hisses:" though or "Boiler 198 'Radium' hisses:" though? or maybe reserving a number AND an associated name combined for specific class? Like if you go runner maybe you always show up as Runner 77 or sonething, whereas if you go Spitter you're always Spitter #956?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggested using latin words to have some uniformity, their meaning could be related to bugs or whatever, as a policy it would be simple to enforce.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marines, nay Humans, have names because Humans are sapient creatures whose society has evolved to the junction where people use names to distinguish themselves and as a unique identifier. The same goes for Predators.

Xenomorphs, are questionably sapient, and err more on the side of merely being sentient and not sapient, and are far more akin to ants or bees than Humans or Predators. They do not have names, they have no need for them. The only names ever given to any Alien has always been by a third party, typically a Human.

Allowing Xenomorphs to be able to create names for them, would utterly destroy the foundation of Xenomorphs as entities. By giving them naming conventions, we are either uprooting the foundation of Xenomorph lore as a hivemind collective, or are destroying what little semblance of xeno in game lore to further solidify xenos as a meme faction.

A xeno would no longer be fully defined by its role, you would not identify that xeno as a Runner, or a Lurker, but as John, or Calvin, or xxXXhumislayer69XXxx.

Again. Humans have names as it is expected. Aliens having names would have no in universe justification.

It may not be a popular decision, but I believe it is the correct one.
    This is war, survival is your responsibility
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Synthetic: Nicholas
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    xenos are played by humans, and humans like names

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presumably we would have some guidelines for what would be an acceptable xeno identifier, I was leaning more towards persistent numbers, like 101 or 567 per say, not too different from our current system, just allowing xenos to keep a number. We could even extend it to the 1000's if the current 1-999 range seems a little restrictive. The way I see it, this doesn't really break the hivemind setting or ImMeRSiuun, and would allow you to at least build a bit of a rep.
    Last edited by LubedDwarf; 06-03-2019 at 04:19 PM.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelpoint View Post
    snip
    I doubt anyone joins this game and is like man, I really like the idea of a hivemind. Im gonna play it because I will be a random drone with no name and that will really simulate the ant feel for me.

Either way we are a hivemind we know exactly what the others are thinking and what they will do. Having no names creates no teamwork the exact opposite of knowing exactly what each other are going to do. Having names would help simulate the hivemind alot closer than not having names would. And who cares about LORE this games lore sucks anyways. You could change all our sprites to random monsters and a bunch of chinese soldiers and it wouldnt make any difference to me at all.
    Last edited by MasterShakeEZ; 06-03-2019 at 03:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn't much of a lore question, lore gets thrown away for a lot of reasons. It's more QoL, players want to be able to know who they're playing with and talking to, that's all

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt people join as a Xeno for the sense of camaraderie.

Personally, I prefer the anonymity of the current system, it sets the tone of the concept of the Aliens, a faceless hivemind collective slaved to the greater good.

Allowing xenos to pick names, simply breaks that in my eyes. Names denote individuality, which is the antithesis of a hivemind.
    This is war, survival is your responsibility
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Synthetic: Nicholas
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes to being able to set your own unique number (ban a couple obvious ones). No to other names.

I have no desire to be killed by "ugotslashed", "Alien King", and "John" but would love to be able to work with the same good numbers.