User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should xenos be able to choose names?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah!

58 70.73%
  • No!

16 19.51%
  • Meh...

8 9.76%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Persistent Xeno Identifiers?

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelpoint View Post
    I doubt people join as a Xeno for the sense of camaraderie.
    Ya thats why xenos are always outnumbered because people dont like playing when they cant make friends. Take away marine names and the game would die in a couple of weeks.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    Ya thats why xenos are always outnumbered because people dont like playing when they cant make friends. Take away marine names and the game would die in a couple of weeks.
    Jesus dont even say that.

CM with chad running around not named chad...

And imagine if you were caught unaware it's a Carson round and couldn't prepare yourself for your suffering...

What a nightmare that would be.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardedWall View Post
    Jesus dont even say that.

CM with chad running around not named chad...

And imagine if you were caught unaware it's a Carson round and couldn't prepare yourself for your suffering...

What a nightmare that would be.
    Ya I imagine 90% of griefing from xenos is because of anonymity. You can do whatever stupid shit you want as long as you dont get a note and no one will ever know it was you. Imagine having anonymity as a marine. You could FF everyone and just be a fucking dick 24/7 and no one could do anything about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardedWall
    I have no desire to be killed by "ugotslashed", "Alien King", and "John" but would love to be able to work with the same good numbers.
    I've seen a few replies like this, and the more I read the more I think that marines shouldn't be allowed to see xeno names. Even if there is no change to allow for xeno persistent naming of any sort I think the marines still shouldn't be able to see the random xeno numbers. For a marine a xeno name tag should just be age and type, so "Elder Runner" or "Ancient Boiler." The android should be able to see xeno persistent names/persistent numbers/random numbers/whatever because the android can actually notice the small differences between xenos that a normal human could not. Probably give the ability to see names/numbers to researchers too, because why not? I don't know the lore well enough to know whether predators should be able to see names, but I'm leaning towards not being able to.

This would still allow xenos to RP between themselves, build an actual player community, and self police people those who break rules without breaking the immersion for the marines. Plus it also fits nicely with that idea of "they're a hive mind, so they would immediately be able to know who is who and tell one another apart" while also making the xenos even more of a faceless hoard for the marines.

Quote Originally Posted by Awan
    My concerns were imo not adressed (vets being promoted over newbies.) and are being ignored or written away as it likely wont happen while on the same side people try to argue marines already have these issues.
    This is a quote from the other thread that DefinitelyAlone0309 linked in the first reply to this thread. To me this seems to be the only reasonable argument against xenos having persistent identifiers. The briefly rehash this, the issue is that veteran players would get promoted into higher tier roles over new players simply due to the veteran players being known or having proven themselves to be robust. This would make the game less hospitable to new players, and since only good players would get promoted to advanced roles only those players would get practice with those roles making it even more difficult for other players to break into those roles. Marines avoid this because their roles are assigned randomly at round start.

I'll admit I don't really have a solid response to this. I personally only really ever play runner, even if there are higher tier spots available. I don't want to play one of the more critical classes until I'm a bit more robust. Some people don't have hangups about jumping into higher tier roles that they're not qualified for, and they want their fair shake. I see it happen a lot as a marine, with especially bald TCs being the easiest to spot simply due to how much FF a bald tank puts out. I'm sure that if there wasn't a system for random roles on the marine side then the good TCs would always get the role if they wanted it. I'm sure it would happen, though to a lesser extent, to the SL, spec, and SG roles as well.

I think that the fact that xenos replenish their slots might mitigate this somewhat for the xenos. In a round there will only ever be 2 TCs, 4 SLs, 4 Specs, 4 SGs, et cetera. If I'm understanding the xeno tier system correctly it is completely different, with greater numbers of lower tier classes in turn being able to support greater numbers of higher tier classes. New T3s can evolve after a round starts, rather than being limited to a set number of special roles like the marines are. This means that there will invariably be some new roles either as T3s die and lower tier xeno players evolve to take their place or as the hive grows. I think that any favoritism that might rear it's ugly head might be offset by the greater turnover for higher tier xenos. I don't think that the possibility of vets being promoted over new players is completely mitigated by the higher turn over that xenos experience, but I think that it would probably mitigate it enough for it to be a non issue. That's just my opinion though, and I'm definitely biased towards the idea that people should play the lower tier classes until they're experienced enough to play the higher tier classes competently.

Oh, and as a side note I personally favor one or two word names over numbers because it's easier for people to remember those than numbers. That said, if people do favor xenos having numbers over names I think it would be a good idea to let people choose four or five digit numbers so that there's less conflict with people choosing the same numbers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Good xeno players stay at T1s and T2s to chill without having to wait so long to get Mature as T3. The only noticeable T3s for good players are Crusher and Rav, because those feel satisfying when you're doing well

2. Even the best xeno players will die at some point, and the new players will get to experience T2/T3 roles. Hell, because of the above point, they may be able to enjoy T2/T3 in the same round after like 30 minutes

3. Would it be really so wrong to have new players practice playing T1 first before they can play T2 and T3 instead of them basically evolving when possible (With great power comes great responsibility and what not)? Considering that bald T3s and bald queen pretty much lose the game almost instantly for xeno unless there're some really really really epic xeno players as T1s and T2s to stave off the losses.

With all that said, I don't really think that xeno identification would bring a problem. Now I understand that names can be a bit of a problem for people (even though it can just be in Hive Status only, but sure I guess); and it can get out of line, but you can just apply some naming rules for it as you would for marines. If you really don't want names, hey, I have suggested unique static number too. Just make it 3 digits, and have like a tick mark right next to your number in Hive Status to show that you specifically set this name and it's all good.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnwaveringGrey View Post
    I've seen a few replies like this, and the more I read the more I think that marines shouldn't be allowed to see xeno names. Even if there is no change to allow for xeno persistent naming of any sort I think the marines still shouldn't be able to see the random xeno numbers. For a marine a xeno name tag should just be age and type, so "Elder Runner" or "Ancient Boiler." The android should be able to see xeno persistent names/persistent numbers/random numbers/whatever because the android can actually notice the small differences between xenos that a normal human could not. Probably give the ability to see names/numbers to researchers too, because why not? I don't know the lore well enough to know whether predators should be able to see names, but I'm leaning towards not being able to.

This would still allow xenos to RP between themselves, build an actual player community, and self police people those who break rules without breaking the immersion for the marines. Plus it also fits nicely with that idea of "they're a hive mind, so they would immediately be able to know who is who and tell one another apart" while also making the xenos even more of a faceless hoard for the marines.

This is a quote from the other thread that DefinitelyAlone0309 linked in the first reply to this thread. To me this seems to be the only reasonable argument against xenos having persistent identifiers. The briefly rehash this, the issue is that veteran players would get promoted into higher tier roles over new players simply due to the veteran players being known or having proven themselves to be robust. This would make the game less hospitable to new players, and since only good players would get promoted to advanced roles only those players would get practice with those roles making it even more difficult for other players to break into those roles. Marines avoid this because their roles are assigned randomly at round start.

I'll admit I don't really have a solid response to this. I personally only really ever play runner, even if there are higher tier spots available. I don't want to play one of the more critical classes until I'm a bit more robust. Some people don't have hangups about jumping into higher tier roles that they're not qualified for, and they want their fair shake. I see it happen a lot as a marine, with especially bald TCs being the easiest to spot simply due to how much FF a bald tank puts out. I'm sure that if there wasn't a system for random roles on the marine side then the good TCs would always get the role if they wanted it. I'm sure it would happen, though to a lesser extent, to the SL, spec, and SG roles as well.

I think that the fact that xenos replenish their slots might mitigate this somewhat for the xenos. In a round there will only ever be 2 TCs, 4 SLs, 4 Specs, 4 SGs, et cetera. If I'm understanding the xeno tier system correctly it is completely different, with greater numbers of lower tier classes in turn being able to support greater numbers of higher tier classes. New T3s can evolve after a round starts, rather than being limited to a set number of special roles like the marines are. This means that there will invariably be some new roles either as T3s die and lower tier xeno players evolve to take their place or as the hive grows. I think that any favoritism that might rear it's ugly head might be offset by the greater turnover for higher tier xenos. I don't think that the possibility of vets being promoted over new players is completely mitigated by the higher turn over that xenos experience, but I think that it would probably mitigate it enough for it to be a non issue. That's just my opinion though, and I'm definitely biased towards the idea that people should play the lower tier classes until they're experienced enough to play the higher tier classes competently.

Oh, and as a side note I personally favor one or two word names over numbers because it's easier for people to remember those than numbers. That said, if people do favor xenos having numbers over names I think it would be a good idea to let people choose four or five digit numbers so that there's less conflict with people choosing the same numbers.
    I honestly think that the mechanics that T3 have are in general way easier then the mechanics lower castes have.
    Crusher mechanics are very straight forwards all you do is run in a line.
    The boiler is not complicated either.
    The rav uses its leap and I also do not consider them hard to play.

Because the t2 and t1 are weaker I would call them harder to play.
    Defenders have complicated mechanics and sents and spitters are harder imo as well.
    The only one where it is reversed is drone imo. Burrower and carrier are harder then drone.

This is ofc offset by the fact that t1 are more expendable.

Next up I think comparing TGMC with cm is of 0 relevance. (About post no 3 in this topic.)
    We are not TGMC they are not us.
    Both of us take our own path and have our own goals.

I myself think that one of the hardest things is to have people get into the game.
    We have a good/great game if you can get into it.
    If you unlock stuff it has to be unlocked when you come back.
    This is not so with reputation. And even worse for people who can only play cm semi-regularly.
    I think systems that promote meta friending are systems that need more scrutiny.
    You should be able to win no matter who the boiler/crusher/pfc/spec is.
    The only people who's roles should be game changing are the queen and CO
    And adding names makes it more and more meta friend friendly.

In the end, adding names would be encouraging the behavior we want to avoid.
    And I am not going to pretend for one second that it is reasonable to expect for the mod team to keep that in check.

How to become senior dev.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awan View Post
    snip
    look at the poll results. Even marine mains who bash xenos 24/7 are saying we should have identifiers. You say TGMC doesnt matter but I can guarentee you I will go play it whenever they go 24/7 because yall refuse to listen to us on anything. They have implemented so many things that make the game more fun that yall refuse to do for some dumb reason. Go look at their macro system something that yall literally REMOVED for no reason. The only reason CM hasnt failed already is because it has been the only option for years and is established. Yall cry about elitism for everything yet this dev team is elitist as fuck. Yall literally think you know best on everything when the game has been in decline for the last year in every way. Yall implement things when the community tells you its a terrible idea (mutators) then take months to acknowledge it, then scrap the entire system and act like it was the plan all along. The fact yall wont even TRY anything will doom this game and I will be happy when it happens so playerbases will shift to better servers.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think about the newbies is just CM's version of think of the children. Its an appeal to emotion which is a logical fallacy.

Appeal to emotion or argumentum ad passiones ("argument from passion") is a logical fallacy characterized by the manipulation of the recipient's emotions in order to win an argument, especially in the absence of factual evidence.

Besides that newbies become not newbies eventually and the dev team wants to design the game around newbies who wont be newbies forever at the cost of veterans players. We have already had a mass exodus of long time players and that will continue into the future. Not newbies far outnumber newbies and it will never change.

The other argument is that it will create metabuddying. Metabuddying is already a thing with or without names people chat on discord, Skype, whatever already and will do it with or without the change. What they are really denying is in game friendships and teamwork which is not metabuddying. They just use metabuddying because its a nasty term that will make you think this is bad.

Really the dev team thinks they know better than everyone else and have a closed mind and refuse to even consider the other sides arguments. The positives of xeno identification far outway the negatives (and perceived negatives that are false).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Numbers are already used exactly as names are for humans, they simply don't carry over between rounds. The *anonymous hivemind* some would like is already ruined by this unavoidable feature. You can not remove this element from the game and it has already ruined your anonymous hivemind fun ride.

I am and always have been in favor of xenos having their own kind of name that only other xenos can see and that are toggleable. Want to be anon xeno? Enjoy your default numbers. Hate the idea of xenos having actual names? Only other xenos would see it and we could even make it so it's just the ckey you can toggle showing. Some might still not like that but quiet frankly it gets the job done with as little intrusive memes as possible.

No matter what I firmly believe that marines should only ever see numbers and age.

Awan your dumb

Listen to the players, look at the poll. Don't die on this hill defending such a braindead position. Not only xeno players, put people who hate and will never play xeno no matter what change they get like myself want this added for them. You say elitism, you say meta, but I refuse to accept it would be so influential as to even be noticable, especially compared to the massive benefits we've all outlined multiple times.

Most players want the xenos to have a community. They want to have a reason to play that isn't dabbing on marine mains. They don't deserve to be held back from growing into their full potential like this.
    Last edited by WinterClould; 06-06-2019 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Read awans post and desided he was dumb and I needed to point that out.
    Chen "Disco" West, Proud recipient of the "Realest Nigga on the Bloc" Award.
    My Dossier, it's good. Trust me. Read it.
    Secondary Objective: Stay Safe, Stick Together, Kick the ass of anything that might need an ass kicking. If you find any booze bring it up to CIC for me please.
    Not everyone who lost their life on Space Nam' died there. Not everyone who came home from Space Nam' ever left there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just gonnna add about the whole 'veterans promoted over newbies'

if this was implemented today, there'd be a 0 effect because no one knows anyone in the first place
    even queen players who are noob will get there orders followed and if they get a bad 'rep' or something of the sort where ppl feel like they're a noob, they can just change their name (applies to any xeno)

older players don't always pref t3 over 1/2

lastly, t3s are easy enough for anyone to get provided you're roundstart, you can basically be anything without having to worry about space in the hive, even now

the only pref I could really, really see happening is when theres 5 ravs or some such that took all the spots, the queen would choose to not devolve a known robust 1

I really, really doubt that Queens would do something like devolve 10 xenos just so 1 midround robust guy can be lurker or w/e, because 1)by that time a veteran xeno player knows the drill and deals with it, just having fun as a runner/sent and 2)its grounds for the queen getting in trouble