User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your opinion on deployed staff officers?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is your opinion on deployed staff officers?

Right, so a staff officers has pretty much a jack of all trades skill set, construction of 2, medical of 2, and a leadership of 3. Deploying a good SO can be very helpful specifically if they know what to do as such ground-side.
    However my problem with deployed staff officers is they don't take or grab any equipment which would make them super useful like a defib and m276 rig, or tactical binocs or even gloves and a helmet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shouldn't ever be deploying unless there's more SOs than there are Overwatch consoles. Doing otherwise is abandoning your primary job to go pretend to be a PFC who has extra skills, and has the potential to ruin the round for other players as there's nobody paying attention to a squad's console.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want you OUT OF MY CIC. I dont need 4 of you slack jawed fucks

Go deploy and be useful!

I WANT TO SEE HELMET CAMS NOT FOR YOU TO SAY 'sir alpha has contact' DOESNT HELP IT AT ALL

Wiki Maintainer Emeritus Sargeantmuffinman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not advise having SOs deploying to the planet as it'd break the chain of command as well as having them be useless in a few scenarios.
    George S.Patton once said: No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

Good hunting.

Staff from 16 May 2016 to 10th September 2021.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As possible only 1 SO in CIC if im the XO. I just cant stand SOs who fucking say you "invade" their overwatch and threaten to cryo. Like wtf man?

To be honest if you're a really capable leader you can overwatch 4 squads with ease without SOs. You just have to be fast. Hell sometimes i wish i want all the overwatch computer to be beside each other.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there are enough SOs it can be good to deploy them. I would definitely not hesitate to deploy one to the FOB and I think they could be useful leading a squad in combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most SOs are useless in the first place, so I figure you may as well deploy most of them and pray they're actually decent pseudo-NCOs. But in my experience the ones who are actually good at manning CIC are also the ones who can make full use of the SO skills when deployed -- so its sort of a zero sum game imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a competent CO is playing with a competent XO and one-two awful SOs, SO deployment can be a good excuse for the CO/XO to get rid of the bad SOs in order for either the XO/CO to replace or the remaining SOs shift around.

Then, if you're going SO and XO/CO are incompetent, you can request to deploy to get yourself away from that mess of a CIC and get some unga in. So either way, if either side is competent deployment can be a good thing.

Or you get rounds where CO is bad, SO is bald, and everyone deploys or nobody deploys. Either way you're basically playing without a CIC so it's all good

The Helllbanian CO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From experience, deploying an SO can either be a way to get rid of bad/bald SOs, which I do not recommend as theres other ways to deal with that, but at the same time if there is a capable player as an SO, they can be deployed to great effect, due to the potential your capabilities carry depending on how useful you make yourself.

When I deploy as an SO, of course priority is the full battle complement, helmet gloves, etc. But the most important items are in my satchel. Binos/Tacbinos if possible, Adv Kit, defib and HF2 analyzer. That combined with a first aid pouch is more than enough to save someone or bring them back to their feet.

However some things to keep in mind as a deployed officer, is that it�s not your engineeing/medical skillset why you�re there. Sure it helps filling in in urgent cases and saving a marine, or fixing some defense, but thats not why youre there.

Your biggest tool are binoculars and that command radio headset.

From the ground you can see exactly what is going on, what the squads need, where the action is and where the xenos are at. And an experienced command player will report it and also give a recommendation on how to deal with the situation. All this information is relayed through the command headset, you can reach each and every squad to notify them of what lays ahead, give instructions, to coordinate with other squads etc, use The freedom you get to call in an OB or CAS, coordinate with the engineering, requisitions channel, communicate very frequently on command frequency to give updates and tactical suggestions.

So the idea is that you are a relay of sorts that connects everything in place. You�re the center of a communication network in the ground. That is your true value.

Then in theory you only need a weapon as a ground SO as far as self defense goes, but it is always good to be well equipped with good ordnance. Now of course there are times where you will have to grab the rifle and move in wih marines, but you should never ever be the first in line in the front, except under some special circumstances.

Remember that you are much more important than a PFC not only because of rank and a fancy gun but because of your capabilities in organization and communication, and all that would be wasted the moment you just go ahead and be just another PFC and die.

Remember and understand what your role is and what is expected from you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one time I considered deploying when playing SO was when we had total 5 + XO.

Most of the time good SOs are better off to use the consoles to communicate.
    Tyson 'Bunny' Sphere