User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your opinion on deployed staff officers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually SO�s aren�t fit for combat unless a regular marine main (preferably PFC) plays the role. They have good issue order level so just standing in the FOB spaming the command (in all the squad channels) is more than enough to be useful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Issue Orders is LOS based. It does not matter if anyone can hear you say anything over comms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juliansl View Post
    How on earth are you spending 35 minutes getting gear as an SO? Your locker has armor and a gun, so that only leaves at most a medical belt, some tools and a setvof tactical binoculars.
    Your locker does not have armor and it does not have a gun. SO lockers are located in their room south of CIC, they are not located inside CIC. Inside their lockers are some hats, backpacks, and headsets; nothing useful because they spawn with all of this already.

What you are talking about is the red alert armory. That is not accessible if the ship is not at red alert. Red alert only happens if there's an alien aboard or just prior to the dropship crash. If you want to deploy at the start of the round or mid round, you cannot get guns and armor from the armory without begging the captain/XO for them. (You will be told no 99% of the time - I have personally never had an XO/CO say yes)
    Last edited by Boersgard; 06-04-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boersgard View Post
    Your locker does not have armor and it does not have a gun. SO lockers are located in their room south of CIC, they are not located inside CIC. Inside their lockers are some hats, backpacks, and headsets; nothing useful because they spawn with all of this already.

What you are talking about is the red alert armory. That is not accessible if the ship is not at red alert. Red alert only happens if there's an alien aboard or just prior to the dropship crash. If you want to deploy at the start of the round or mid round, you cannot get guns and armor from the armory without begging the captain/XO for them. (You will be told no 99% of the time - I have personally never had an XO/CO say yes)
    I've never denied a SO request to deploy, that's unfortunate. Mafs said it well though, if you ask your squad for equipment it's almost always a yes, just difficult when they are all deployed already
    Goosen Dagen-casual marine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubstank View Post
    Most SOs are useless in the first place, so I figure you may as well deploy most of them and pray they're actually decent pseudo-NCOs. But in my experience the ones who are actually good at manning CIC are also the ones who can make full use of the SO skills when deployed -- so its sort of a zero sum game imo.
    Feeling lazy in my response so... basically this ^.

Still, SOs are entirely useless. Its just the zero sum bit is very true when deploying 'em.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there are enough SO's for example 5 then why not? it can be good to deploy them since they will be useless at CIC in some ways. CIC doesn't really need quantity officers tbh, it needs quality who is perfect and suited for the job and i think that's enough.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very good/competent SO can be a valuable ground side asset, they are close to a Jack of all Trades role as you can get outside of a Synthetic.

The big issue is more getting them reasonably equipped, SO's lack a lot of access and would need to waste a lot of time gearing up, at least if they want to make a good groundside contribution, any PFC can nab a gun and ammo.

But honestly, if the CO needs better eyes on the ground, they'd be better off going to the planet themselves. You can't get a camera on the SO.

I'd only justify sending a SO to the planet if we have more than 4, even then, I'd rather they stay at the FoB and keep it organized.
    This is war, survival is your responsibility
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Synthetic: Nicholas
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de

Ceyella
    Deploy them all.

FOB should be all 4 SOs ,MTs and CTs.

CTs - useless after rush, they have construction, build and guard.

MTs- same

SOs- have medical 2, and consturction, same. They are the FOB medics for those who trickle in 1/2 ass stablized.

overall this is about 10 guys to guard it.

now bravo can attack and maneuver as a unit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceyella View Post
    Deploy them all.

FOB should be all 4 SOs ,MTs and CTs.

CTs - useless after rush, they have construction, build and guard.

MTs- same

SOs- have medical 2, and consturction, same. They are the FOB medics for those who trickle in 1/2 ass stablized.

overall this is about 10 guys to guard it.

now bravo can attack and maneuver as a unit.
    That is actually genious! Maybe steal an engineer or two from a squad, but otherwise great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They contribute to nothing but for the demise of the entire op. I always deploy as officer too.