User Tag List

Thread: GameMaster85 - Developer Application (Coder)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GameMaster85 - Developer Application (Coder)

Developer Application
    Byond ID?
    GameMaster85

Age?

Gender?
    Male

How would you define yourself? (Coder, Mapper, Spriter):
    Coder

If Coder, what languages?
    Lua, DM, C#

Any previous experience developing with SS13?
    Yes. I've actually started programming in DM and Lua, both high-level scripting/coding languages.

Proof of any previous or current work:
    No current physical work in DM at the moment, but I do have archives of an old TTS system I worked around with, which hooked into SS13's sound system, and used Moonbase Alpha's stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBmQ1y2XNAA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDCviMZD_ow
    (These things were way too long ago.)

Miscellaneous Garry's Mod things. I did most of my Lua here. I pretty much wonked around inside of the engine and back. Even got a "function" added via the gmod suggestions github to help with animation controlling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UexrRyYkmgQ
    ( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1093129011 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHFz3QWA-do

Starting out in Game Design as an Undergrad, so take some work from the actual portfolio!

Random Picnic Table. It was pretty lazy, but I have to do it again anyways later on. Not a modeler, but important to know the process. The entire thing is original. Including the lazy textures too, all in maya.
    https://i.imgur.com/2UGQVGe.jpg

Made my own cardgame! Tested it with other people while the instructor put on lofi and chill.
    https://i.imgur.com/bkwcEvX.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/u73Mtdd.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/TiO6QUU.jpg

How well do you know Git?
    I'm actually now using an industry-standard git-like called Perforce, which is the same thing in a way. Still, before then I've been using git all the time, even locally. I don't know it well enough that I have every proper command line command memorized, but you get what I mean.

Your primary job is server development, not policing the server. You may be given Moderator-level of access but you should *not* be invoking any administrative actions unless there are no moderators or Admins online. Do you understand?
    Yes

Anything else you'd like to add?
    I'm a university student for game design at the moment. I'm not as fond as I was with DM and since I'm working on bigger projects now, my time with you guys is somewhat limited depending on schedule (especially later on) so I'll keep you guys posted if anything.
    Last edited by GameMaster85; 06-04-2019 at 09:59 PM. Reason: "It's called Perforce, not Preforce!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there! We have received your application and are currently processing/discussing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Ranged. Of course, feel free for any of the devs to let me know on any questions, as I feel I didn't add too much information that I can't really come up with right now since oh crap it's 8:30 I got class in 30 minutes.

A few things that I've already forcibly showed Awan is my skill in putting my perspective on the table for other devs. It's kinda my game designer instinct. Problem? We solve it, that sort of thing. Alongside being a programmer, I can at least be sitting on the good guy chair at the round table instead of only bringing donuts to it. Other then that, I'm pretty confident in my ability as a guy that types on his keyboard to make things happen.

AMA, Devs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've got a meeting tomorrow in which we'll be discussing your app, until then I've got a few extra questions.|

Is there anything we should know about you that might be suspicious, e.g. extra BYOND accounts you've joined with, frequent VPN use etc...

How long have you been playing on this server for?

Do you have the code for the TTS system you showed, or only those videos? Got any code in DM to show off?

Do you prefer working on new features, or backend/bugfixing/optimization and such?

What do you think about the current state of the game balance? Is there anything in particular you'd want changed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotcha. I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

There's honestly nothing you guys need to know that'd mark me as suspicious. I recently moved to a completely new city for university, so all my playtime is in a new IP due to that. I only have multiple BYOND accounts because I play a game on BYOND with limited character slots (and they allow multikeying) but I only use GameMaster85 on SS13, unless I accidentally log on with one of them. I also don't use VPNs at all unless I'm trying to access games or MMOs across the world, or something like that, not to circumvent bans.

While my total playtime on the server is a little shorter then most others, I've actually been playing a lot recently. I've joined a whiiile back however, long enough to forget specifically when. But last I remember I was around when projectile code was the talk of the town at the time.

Sadly, because I've moved along from DM to actual game design and my big boy projects are going to soon be with things like Unity and Unreal Engine, I've actually been moving away from DM more then anything. SS13 however I just feel is it's own beast either way. With my computer change to my workstation laptop as well as how long it has been since I worked on DM, I don't have the TTS system I showed (I mean, those videos were made in 2016!) nor any current code.

Awan and I were actually talking about backend optimization a little because it seemed to be something you guys want to work on. It honestly depends, but both are fine with me. Obviously, it's not a good idea to make me work on one thing for too long, but in general I'd be fine working on most things. However, the designer in me would probably like working on new features just a bit more then most.

The current state of the game seems to be vastly different from before. Aliens were honestly really powerful back then, but things are a little bit more balanced and I'm seeing way more Marine victories now. It feels a little odd winning games, really. BUT aliens also have just steamrolled games at times as well. The "Kits" added to marines allow them to specialize without having a role, which is neat. You guys now have a tank, which changes how barricades are placed down and the front line firepower is brought forth. (There was no conception of a tank at the time I was playing back then.) It's very easy to die in the game for rounds that commonly last 2-3 hours however, but this is subjective in a way. Armor is odd: Most people just tend to go for light or medium armor saying that the heavy one sucks. But I've been recently using slugshotgun exclusively with heavy armor, and Vertical Grip/Stock. This makes me slow as shit, but with the recent changes this actually made me take a lot less internal damage and as long as I didn't get dragged off or slashed too much (or too little by a T3 red boi) I was able to get back into the fight with the few medical supplies I had on myself, really. And then with very accurate slugs, Any alien 5 tiles away from me is getting knocked down, pretty much.

Overall the state of the game balance is for me not yet known. There's probably specific things in the game that might be seen as "worthless to use" which can be remedied into either new playstyles or changed to usefulness. Personally, I focus on fun elements, things that would allow people to enjoy the game more then anything. SS13, and in extension CM-SS13, has a lot of things already that adding new things is actually a bit of a nightmare in hindsight, but nothing too dirty. The game I can't say is in a perfect state, but there's definitely less problems then before in terms of game balance. People who have played today's CM for a month or so are probably better at telling this then that, but it's also why I play as well, but I'm pretty good at analyzing poor balance or even perceived poor balanced, because "buff shotgun!", as a designer, might not be the best idea if you have some foresight. (buffing it might cause it to be too good? An overwhelming strategy of sort? That sort of classic thing. But it can be way more complex things.)

Either way, I can type for a good 30 minutes about the topic or so. But that's enough out of me!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, we have discussed your app and we want to see you code something.

I have three challenges here you only have to do 2.

Challenge 1.

For this challenge, numbers can consume numbers that are lower.
    So a 7 can consume 0 until 6. (We only use positive integers.)
    When a number consumes a number you can increment it by 1.
    The eaten number cannot be consumed anymore by other numbers and is removed from the list.
    The second input will be another integer.
    Numbers above the target number are not hungry and will not eat.
    I want to know how many of the numbers can become at least the target number by eating other numbers or are above the target number already.
    Numbers eat from high to low.
    The lowest number is always consumed by the highest number that needs to consume.

We have a set of numbers. (input one.)
    12 1 5 8 7 14 9 0 2 3 4
    We have a comparison number. (input two.)

Now, 12 and 14 are already equal or above 10 and need not eat numbers.
    9 can eat 0 to become 10.
    Our list now is 12 1 5 8 7 14 10 2 3 4
    8 can consume 1 and 2 to become 10.
    Our list is now 12 5 10 7 14 10 4
    Now, 7 cannot consume enough numbers to become 10.
    So our final answer is 4 since 4 numbers in that list are equal or higher than the comparison number.
    Return that answer to me and the final list.

Challenge 2
    We have a keypad:
    9 8 7
    6 5 4
    3 2 1
    . 0 *

The distance between 2 horizontal or vertical keys is 1cm.
    The distance between Diagonal keys is sqrt 2
    You can use Pythagoras to calculate that.
    Assuming you always take the quickest route.
    What is the distance you have to cover to put in a certain ip address?
    The input will be a string in the form X.X.X.X where the X can be 1, 2 or 3 positive integers.
    240.0.0.0 is not a valid ip adress.
    But it is a valid input. You do not have to check if the ip could exist as long as every X is 1, 2 or 3 integers for each X and has four dots between those numbers.
    Please round to 2 decimal places if need be.
    So output me the distance he needs to cover for a certain ip.

Challenge 3
    We will input a string. It will be all lower case and has no punctuation.
    You do have to handle spaces.
    Remove all vowels from this list and put them in their own list.
    Keep them in their original order.
    Remove all spaces.
    Output all consonants in a list.
    Output all vowels in a list.
    The lists have to be in the original order.
    I am not giving you sample input or output for this one.

If you complete these to our satisfaction we will send you the coder test.

How to become senior dev.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what they say! Easy Money! Time to unga the code.

CHALLENGE TWO!

Spoiler Spoiler:

CHALLENGE THREE!

Spoiler Spoiler:

.dmb File PreCoderTest.zip
    Source Files PreCoderTest_src.zip

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow up has been given.

How to become senior dev.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright. I'll go ahead and post the final everything after this reply. Only a few minor mistakes from not understanding the instructions as well were made, but the one genuine one was that I only checked if the IP had too many entries. (Never really worked with IP formatting before.) There are MUCH better ways of checking if something is an IP, but I did it on a quickie in the proc. Adding this to the end should solve the only genuine mistake, since I din't check if the IP was too short.

Code:
    if(dots != 3) {world << "Invalid IP!"; return 0}
    Literally. I'll be working on the 3rd followup now.

Head Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GameMaster85, thank you for your patience during the application process so far. After discussion at the dev meeting yesterday, we have elected to accept your application, as your test results were acceptable.

Please send me a Discord PM with:
    -An email address you don't mind being visible to the rest of the team
    -A link to your GitLab profile

I'll set up your perms when I see the message, and you'll receive further training/instruction in the staff discord. Welcome to the team!