User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is balance in this game always one sided?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is balance in this game always one sided?

To my knowledge this game has never had a period where the balance was relativity even, it's always one side steamrolling the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because devs don't learn lessons from previous updates or implementations so seem to throw anything they feel in in an effort to balance, while all the other devs are doing exactly the same to other things, resulting in no balance. There's also a huge disconnect between the devteam and the community which little to no effort has been made to bridge, meaning they only look at things they want to - seems to have lessened a tad recently.
    Last edited by Chaznoodles; 06-10-2019 at 07:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The CM devs try to force a balance via stat changes when the average player is a mouthbreathing retard. So by changing stats they just empower the good players to abuse those stat changes for easy stomps and there is no way for the good players of the other side to take out the opposing sides good players because of dumb balance changes.
    They gotte realize you cant get to a 65% winrate by changing stats alone, the skill of the players for each team is WAY too volatile which is why you've seen xeno winrate spike to 80% from like 10% a few months back after like 2 weeks of the initial changes because a lot of good marine players decided to switch to xenos for example. And in those 2 weeks no balance changes were made.
    Devs gotte actually change their approach to balancing things, the current approach is just bad IMO.

Kinda copy&paste from a comment I made in gitlab a while back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your personal experience in a round doesn't mean there's a balance or unbalance.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The game has been relatively balanced a few times. Rounds wouldn't last 3+ hours if there wasn't balanced. Right now the balance was out of wack because of bugs to acid spit/pain. Those are fixed and I think people are gonna see that they were a crutch for xenos and xenos are a whole lot weaker than they think. Xeno armor changes nerfed xenos overall (except for queen/crusher/defender). Neth has said marine winrate is high recently (and those figures are before the bug fixes I just mentioned).

Its like any competitive game you have to balance around the good players not the bad players or things become completely unbalanced. Dev team is way too concerned with newbies though so they balance around the bad players and the game gets broken pretty quickly. I remember when it was 24/7 "Xenos are just all stun based and blah blah blah no skill blah blah" and now marines are 100% stun based and don't really require any skill anymore. Its just shotguns and grenades everywhere. All specs are about stunning shit with explosives and not having to actually aim anymore. Its because they balance around bad players who cant aim and are too dumb to avoid going 1on1 with lurkers in the middle of no where in the dark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because its a 2D spessman deathmatch game with no player limit per team

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pee pee poo poo shoot alan in 2d spess man basically me am dev i am more game theory oriented ur just player u know nothing about balance

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Retard View Post
    pee pee poo poo shoot alan in 2d spess man basically me am dev i am more game theory oriented ur just player u know nothing about balance
    thanks Sleepy

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NethIafins View Post
    thanks Sleepy
    anytime

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll be always imbalanced for numerous reasons. I'm on the bus so this is by no means an extensive answer, just what comes to my mind:

- As Pyotr said, teams have no min-max caps, especially in the beginning. Of course, xenos can later run out of larvae but more often larvae lie dormant while more and more marines wake up.
    - Maps have player-made objectives - they decide what worths fighting for (location of hive, second fob, etc) and those places might be not ideal for the current patch. But they rarely change because they worked well for years (lv hydro, big red lambda, etc)
    - Due to the wide variety of tools and jobs marine side, it's incredibly skill based. This is not like CS GO where everyone is the same role and has the same x weapons. Here, if the tank crew sucks, marines will likely lose. If the queen is bald, the first marine push will kill her. If someone throws a HEDP inside the fob, the defence fails. And so on. Most losses can be usually accredited to a few, very weak people, rather than one side being better and more cohesive than the other one.

And other things, such as us lacking an analytics team to constantly track and analyze statistics. :P We do have statistics, both combat and non-combat ones but none of us keeps a constant track on each and every one of them. We don't have the time for it, most of us are adults with daytime jobs.

That being said, we do try to aim at having semi-balanced features. However, the game will never have a 50-50% winrate. I can't speak for the others, but I myself try to develop for both sides, as well as for whitelists, to keep all sides fresh and fun to play again.