Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NorthStar1 - Moderator Application

Moderator Application

Personal Information

Byond ID?
    NorthStar1 (previously I_Solve_Practical_Problems)

CM Character?
    John 'Devil' Faust/Billy 'Tex' Williams

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    EDT

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    10-14

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    No

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    Yes, I play on Goon occasionally

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made
    Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    No

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Yes, I am!

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    This is likely either to be an accident, improper escalation, or pure grief, and I would ascertain which one it is by looking at the notes to see their clicks, checking the notes of the player as well as PMing them to ask for their perspective. In case it�s an accident, I just leave it IC and let the MPs handle it. If it�s improper escalation, I would see if they have a history, and issue a warning or a ban depending on their note history as per both Rule 4 section 2 on roundstart shenanigans and Rule 14. I would also investigate other parties and see what led up to the shooting and see if they violated Rule 4 as well. Finally, in the case of grief, I would issue a ban with length pending on any history of grief although the fact they didn�t log off means they�re not just here to �pump and dump� which is a good sign.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    As a mod, I have no jurisdiction over Predator guideline violations or other whitelist issues and I would tell them as such. However, I would direct the player to talk to the council and write a player report. Furthermore, I would send them any relevant details such as the name of the predator to ease later investigation.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    As the mentor position was made redundant, I would personally help them or ask another mod to guide them if I was investigating another ahelp/case. If I wasn't busy, I would send them a link to the quickstart page on the wiki and be on standby to answer any questions they might have that aren�t directly answered there.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    Firstly, I would tell them that they don't have the right to demand to speak to an Admin+, but I would direct him to make a staff report if they think I violated procedure. I have a thick-skin and I know people have momentary lapses of reason especially here in CM so I think I would just ignore the insults and direct him to the staff report page until he cools down. They might have had a rough day and so I don�t think I would warn them if all they did was get a little heated. However if they harass me or the insults become really excessive, I would ask another staff member to handle the situation as I am directly involved.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    Firstly, I would check their notes to see if they have a history of using this name or violating Rule 12 in general. If they do have a history, I would issue a note and a short ban as they have been told better in the past and are just willfully flaunting the rules. If they�re new or have no history of name violations, I would PM them and issue a very light note in case of future violations. In either case, I would change it to whatever name they request for the round as it is my understanding mods have the power to rename characters.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    This is IC as it is only a violation of ML. However, I would be wary of potential developments as usually an MT running around armed like that is a precursor for other rule violations. Nonetheless, at this stage, this is IC and no action is required.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    I would check the logs to see if the survivor turncoated or pretended to be friendly before firing. If they went hostile after acting friendly, this would be a violation of Roleplay Standards and I would issue a warning and a note, with a potential server or job ban depending on their history of survivor roleplay violations or grief in general. If they were hostile from the start and never indicated they were peaceful, then this is IC and no action is required, which I would inform the ahelping marine.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    This would require significant investigation before making any conclusions as there are a fair number of conditions and circumstances that would modify the punishment and conceivably legitimately lead to the player getting perma�d. Therefore, I would ask all parties as well as direct witnesses their perspective and examine the logs to find out what both sides did. It�s entirely possible the player evaded arrest, insulted the MP, or did a number of other things that would cause perma. However, if all the player did was steal something, then the MP violated ML as the punishment for theft is not that severe. I would issue a note and a warning with no history and if they had a history of violations, I would issue a job ban as per Rule 15.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    I would SM the CO or XO first to encourage them to finish the operation as they clearly have the numerical advantage. If that doesn't work, or the xenos are somehow causing stagnation, I would use a QM message to encourage them to seek tallhosts for the hive. However, I would not go too heavy in either direction as I think even in stagnation, there�s room for comebacks or dynamic tactical behavior.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    This might just be a new medic (we all start somewhere and I know battlefield medicine is both hectic and complex), and I would try to help them IC. If they continue this behavior or show willful negligence and grief, I would ask another staff member to investigate the issue. I would not be comfortable handling the issue myself as I am both IC and it would be dealing with a case in which I am an active participant and have a conflict of interest.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    This is IC, and thus not a rule violation, as per subsection 1 of Rule 4 which states that it is not EORG to attack normal enemies from the round such as xenos or CLF.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    This is pretty clearly roundstart shenanigans, especially if they're stealing important gear from req, SLs, or specs as per subsection 2 of Rule 4 which warrants punishment. If it�s really minor shenanigans such as two marines doing a disarm dance, I would probably just PM them and tell them to knock it off before it escalates. However, anything more serious that would influence the round as a whole such as theft or brawls would warrant a warning and a note.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    I would investigate the logs as well as gather witness testimonies from bystanders and participants to build a timeline and ascertain what events occurred leading up to and during the confrontation. If the fight escalated from a punch to lethal weapons, then I would note and warn the offender if they have no history of improper escalation or give a ban depending on the severity of their previous violations as per Rule 4. If the fight was properly escalated from punches to tools/melee weapons to guns with RP justification, then I would rule it an IC issue as per Rule 14.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    I would LOOC them to remind them to ahelp the mutiny as per the mutiny guidelines in Rule 17 as well as to remember and take into account the other guidelines such as giving medical treatment or avoiding perma-kills. Assuming they then ahelp it with the prerequisite requirements and get clearance, I would monitor the situation for any further violations as they happen and deal with them as they happen.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    This is an IC issue as per Rule 2. IC interactions between characters are just that, IC, and will remain IC, which is something I will remind the player who ahelped. If the comments are causing constructive, significant problems to the round, I would ask the player to tone things down in PM or LOOC. Finally, if it becomes OOC, this is a violation of Rule 3 and I would issue a note and warning or a ban depending on their note history and severity of their comments.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    This is pretty obviously an open and shut case of grief. I would aheal those wounded in the attack, give a 7 day ban, and file for a perma.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    I would examine the context of the death and send the player a PM asking why they did it. If they�re unfamiliar with the map or had a legitimate reason to flee such as a marine hunting party in the hive, I would ask them to be more careful in the future and leave it at that. If they make it clear they just intended on suciding, I would issue a note and a warning if they had no history of xeno rule breaches or a job ban if they do.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    This is unacceptably LRP behavior for xenos to partake in as per roleplay standards. I would issue a note and a warning, and a xeno ban if they have a history of this kind of behavior.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    Xeno hivemind is the English translation of whatever the xenos �thought� so this instance is IC and not LRP. I would inform the other player of this, and tell them that it is IC and no action will be taken.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    I would check the context in which it was said. I know there are events that can change this, and I also know some maps have a fax machine for survivors to fax the Almayer in which case it is possible for Command to have evidence of aliens at round-start. If there is not, I would give them a note if they have no prior violations and a job ban if they have a history of this. Finally, I would use OOC to say that marines should not have knowledge of aliens at round start without special circumstances.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    If that was the last spot and if it was properly escalated, I would rule it as IC issue. In this context, I think proper escalation might be something as simple as a line of dialogue. When the dropship crashes, time is at a premium so it seems unfair to require a brawl or many lines of dialogue, and so as long as there is a good faith effort at roleplaying an escalation, I think it's fine. If there were other escape pods in close proximity and it was just the marine wordlessly walking up and blasting the person, then I would check notes. If they have no history, I would issue a light warning and note given the extenuating circumstances and if they have a long history, I would issue an appropriate ban.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    I would ignore the insults and tell them to make a staff report if they thought I violated procedures. With any online community, people will get heated but the proper solution is a strong back and a thick skin. If it gets particularly heated and continues through the whole round into the next, I would ask another staff member to investigate the issue for violations of Rule 3 although it would be a conflict of interest to handle cases I am personally involved in.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    I tell them that it was IC. Connection issues are a fact of life in CM, and it�s just something we all have to deal with.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    I would mention something in msay in a polite and constructive manner. As staff, we should not and cannot be combative with each other but that doesn�t preclude constructive pointers if necessary. We all let things slip through the cracks sometimes, so I would personally appreciate if another staff gave me pointers and kept me honest.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    I would stay uninvolved as I wasn�t the one handling the ahelp and that as a mod, I lack the authority to interpret rules in the way an admin or senior mod can. If I thought there was some gross violation of staff procedure or evidence of bias, I would mention it to the manager if it was serious. If for some reason the person who broke the rule PMs me and asks about what I can do for him, I would tell them if they thought the staff violated procedure that they should file a staff report and leave it at that.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    I would like to give back to the server. For almost two years, CM has given me countless hours of enjoyment, but the great experience we have here is only because the hard work of the staff team in their respective roles. As a monkey with a typewriter can code better than me, the best way for me to return that favor would be volunteering as a moderator. Through that, I hope to uphold the rules and values that CM has in making the server a fun place.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    The two most important qualities of a moderator in my opinion is impartiality and an analytical mindset. CM is both a tight community as well as a vitriolic one at times. What this means is a mod needs to look past any biases, whether positive or negative, and uphold our rules and standards fairly across the board. The moderator also needs a good sense of analysis to act as a fact-finder and build a chain of events out of a complex set of circumstances, contexts, and perspectives.

Anything else you
    I would like to mention this now, but I only have time to play CM and therefore moderate during the Summer and Winter months as my studies don't really give me time for video games. If this alone disqualifies me, I understand, but I promise that if you give me a chance, I will more than make up for the lack of quantity with quality.

Last and certainly not least, I would like to thank y'all for reading my application. No matter the result, I enjoy spending my time here on this server; the secret sauce really is the players and our community would not be possible without the hard work of our mods and admins keeping the space civil and fun, our devs keeping things dynamic, and the heads keeping the servers on.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tex is a long time player and it�s evident he knows his stuff
    Please grimcad add him

Manager Emeritus & System Administrator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally I go over the issues I found with your answers here, but honestly, the only questions that aren't perfect involve stuff non-staff aren't expected to know, for instance that we don't file Staff Reports on other Staff, as we can take it directly to the relevant manager.

You have exactly 2 notes after all this time, one for excellent RP, and one for EORG.

It is my opinion that this is an absolutely fantastic application, showing excellent knowledge of protocol and procedure, and the exact attitude we look for. I see absolutely no reason you couldn't just go on Extended Leave when your studies result in not having enough time.

I don't say this lightly that I think this may be one of the best applications I've seen, and I fully support this application and look forward to you joining the team.
    TrialModerator from 12/15/2018 to 12/29/2018
    Moderator from 12/29/2018 to 6/29/2019
    TrialAdmin from 6/29/2019 to 7/29/2019
    Admin from 7/29/2019 to 6/17/2021
    Manager from 6/17/2021 to ???
    ManagerEmeritus from ??? to ???

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes yes yes +1

Good player,

Good Rp,

GREAT answers!

TEXAN AND PROUD FELLER!
    Former member of the Commanders Council, PM me if you want help with making a whitelist or have a question.

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good answers good player +1
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I�m extremely happy you decided to go through with this. The app is nothing short of fantastic, and I expected nothing less from a fantastic member of the community. Hope to see you in msay soon.
    Trial Moderator: 4/18/19 - 5/2/19 / Moderator: 5/3/19 - 10/1/19 / Senior Moderator: 10/2/19 - 12/26/19 / Trial Admin: 12/27/19 - 1/11/20 / Mod Manager: 1/12/20 - 4/18/20

Cerwick/Balakura/etc
    Discord: noah#7322

Former staff member and long-time CO Council member, now I just wave my boomer cane at people when I want something to complain about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be happy to see you on a trial basis, so consider this my support. Good luck!

CM-SS13 Vice Host
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During a routine investigation into improper escalation you find two players involved in the situation share an IP. What do you do and why?
    Charles & Arthur Edwinson
    Synth Percival | Artyom
    Yautja Kjhute Luar-ke

Record:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Discord: forest2001#2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you thus far for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by forest2001 View Post
    During a routine investigation into improper escalation you find two players involved in the situation share an IP. What do you do and why?
    Firstly, I would check their notes to see if they've been allowed to share an IP such as being siblings or roommates in the same household. If they are not under such an arrangement, I would ban for 7 days and file for a perma as this seems to be a case of multi-keying which carries the penalty of a permaban as per Rule 9.

However, I would also inform them that if they have a legitimate reason to share IPs such as being siblings, they should appeal on the forums and present their evidence. The primary reason I would move immediately to a permaban is because our prohibition against multikeying is one of the most strongly enforced rules on the server after ERP due to its highly disruptive nature on the round. Furthermore, if they have a legitimate reason to share an IP, it would be better for them to make that case on the forums rather than through the game where they will have more time to answer questions and present evidence. If they didn't want to have to go through the process, they should have read the rules better and ahelped it at the start rather than after they got in trouble.

Finally, my answer is predicated on the understanding that IPs are unique outside of dynamic IP sticky ban issues which is a whole different ballgame. If my understanding is correct, then there should be no case where this accidentally happens. However, I stand to be corrected.

CM-SS13 Vice Host
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An acceptable answer. Best of luck, I hope to see you on the team soon.
    Charles & Arthur Edwinson
    Synth Percival | Artyom
    Yautja Kjhute Luar-ke

Record:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Discord: forest2001#2001