Synthetic Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    teafortwo

Marine Name
    Finnian Cottier

Other Whitelist Applications
    Name of the Synth Character you wish to play
    Tomlin

Are you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines?
    Yes

What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.
    1) A marine strikes me repeatedly. First I will attempt to flee the attacks and report it, but I may engage in nonlethal combat to subdue if either I am unable to flee or if I am deputized by the aCO to perform said marine's arrest. What I will not do is pursue conflict if I am able to avert it, whether by diplomacy or evasion.

2) I am building barricades and an alien attacks them. I may fight off the alien to protect the barricades under the pretext that this is necessary to protect USCM personnel. What I will not do is pursue the alien to "finish the job."

3) While dragging wounded marines to safety, I may again attack harassers only insomuch as it ensures the woundeds' survival. What I cannot do is chase pursuers.

4) The CO foolishly engages a predator and is in danger of dying. I will attack the predator to either force it to flee or kill it to improve the chances of the CO surviving the encounter.

5) The CO OBs a Hydroponics FOB and kills 5 or more marines and incites a mutiny. I may engage in nonlethal suppression alongside the MPs against mutineers attempting to breach CIC.

Synthetic Character Story
    Spoiler Spoiler:

What is your Synth�s quirk and personality?
    Tomlin is a creature of diplomacy and statecraft. He's assigned to fringe world vessels and expeditionary crafts in the event of UPP contact, so as to assist in a foreign service capacity in light of the uneasy US-UPP truce. His personality is, as a result, to aid in his mission, too mercurial to read, yet subdued enough for dialogue. He is, in other words, like a bluffing poker player. The Tomlin model often acts as diplomatic attaches, and is "naturally" drawn to intelligence analysis, collection, and recruitment.

This specific Tomlin's quirk is that he loves music and will go out of his way to collect and play instruments. Some have speculated that this Tomlin served as a personal pianist to a diplomat on Upsilon-4, but with the routine memory wipes that foreign service synthetics undergo, no one can be so sure.

What'd I'd like to note from a player's perspective is that while Tomlin has a personality that tends towards being tricky, he still follows the synthetic guidelines fully. He will not disobey or even mislead Command staff. But he does have a nasty habit of doing things technically within his programming, particularly within the domain of spying and politics. For example, if the CMP believes the CO to be performing illegal acts, Tomlin wouldn't hesitate to surreptitiously record a conversation where he would attempt to get the CO to confess. Of course, should the CO tell Tomlin not to record or to ask Tomlin if he is recording, Tomlin would have little choice but to comply or tell the truth.

Curiously, not a lot of Tomlin owners think this far ahead�and for them, Tomlins are trouble. Of course, for the Tomlin owner who's a bit tricky themselves, Tomlins are the perfect model of synthetics.

How familiar are you with Engineering?
    I am familiar with CM engineering systems and can perform the roles of Squad Engineer and Chief Engineer well. I am also familiar with legacy Baystation engineering, in the unlikely event it should be relevant. I am generally capable of constructing or deconstructing anything relevant to your average round without the wiki. I used to regularly play Chief Engineer, though nowadays I find Squad Engineer more enjoyable.

Throughout an ordinary round, I am capable of, e.g.: repairing reactors, repairing power, constructing buildings, constructing military defenses, repairing APCs, operating the powerloader to assist in OBs, Requisitions, or dropship maintenance.

How familiar are you with Command?
    I know the overwatch station well. I frequently play Executive Officer or Command Officer. I'm fast on communications and I have a good feel for the ebb and flow of a round. I have an idea of what support I need to offer Command to enable their mission.

How familiar are you with Medical?
    I frequently play Squad Medic, Researcher, or Chief Medical Officer. I am familiar with CM chemistry and can synthesize both medical and military chemicals. I am also familiar with legacy Baystation chemistry should it be relevant to a round. I can perform any surgery without the wiki at the fastest possible pace given my surgery skill level. My speed and accuracy with combat medicine is above average. I know medical procedures to heal most common and obscure issues other players may have during the game.

How familiar are you with Requisitions?
    I never play Requisitions as a role, but I know the department very well now as in Command roles I am often forced to handle Requisitions personally. I generally know what are good uses of points, I know the procedures and organization of Requisitions, I know how to communicate with squads to keep them supplied, and I know tacitly what to send down even should the squads not request specific items.

Why do you want to be a synthetic/why should we whitelist you?
    I play support relatively frequently and I believe I can contribute to a round in a role where I can support WHEREVER I am needed rather than in a pre-assigned department. I am fast on comms and understand the needs of other roles. I want to be very fashionable with items from the snowflake vendor. My synth's personality quirks means it can engage in shipside drama to great effect, and that's always a fun part of a CM round.

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason? Do you have any active jobbans?
    No bans in the past. No active jobbans.

Are you currently banned from our Discord, and if so, why?
    No.

Do you have anything else you would like to include about your application?
    I was XO jobbanned and then un-jobbanned for netspeak recently. I hope my peers have good impressions of my CO or predator to know that this doesn't represent my average gameplay.

I have a CO and predator whitelist, which I hope is evidence that I'm not a shitter. I have participated in many high-RP events and I believe that should be evidence for my RP abilities.

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
    Yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teafortwo View Post
    What'd I'd like to note from a player's perspective is that while Tomlin has a personality that tends towards being tricky, he still follows the synthetic guidelines fully. He will not disobey or even mislead Command staff. But he does have a nasty habit of doing things technically within his programming, particularly within the domain of spying and politics. For example, if the CMP believes the CO to be performing illegal acts, Tomlin wouldn't hesitate to surreptitiously record a conversation where he would attempt to get the CO to confess. Of course, should the CO tell Tomlin not to record or to ask Tomlin if he is recording, Tomlin would have little choice but to comply or tell the truth.
    There is nothing about this section that I like. Is this how are you supposed to play out "Diplomat/Musician" as a quirk ingame? Why do you want to be a rat synthetic who no one in Command can fundamentally trust because you're just acting two-faced?

XO netspeak jobban aside, am I going to see the same "Hi, its me, your Synthetic, welcome to LZ2 haha" shit from you in this role as you do with Captain?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolubleWhenWet View Post
    There is nothing about this section that I like. Is this how are you supposed to play out "Diplomat/Musician" as a quirk ingame? Why do you want to be a rat synthetic who no one in Command can fundamentally trust because you're just acting two-faced?
    I think this is an interesting question. Essentially, it's not trust, but comfort. You'll note that Tomlin doesn't try to tell a "technically correct lie" in this hypothetical scenario where the CO asks Tomlin to stop recording or whether or not he's being recorded. This is important. Tomlin doesn't follow the orders just in their letter but in their spirit. This is a fundamental aspect of trust. The CO essentially knows that Tomlin will follow orders as he intends them, as with all synthetics, and that Tomlin won't TECHNICALITYYYYY his way out. The "technically" part refers to Tomlin following his programming guidelines. This isn't a new concept, in fact. You already know a role in SS13 like this: the AI in MRP stations like Goon. All actions fall technically within the guidelines, but a good AI carries out orders to the letter and spirit still. If you play those stations, you'll know what I mean when I say you trust the AI to follow its laws and your orders, but you don't feel comfortable around it.

Which is what that part of the story shows when Tomlin goes with Rennem to retrieve intel. Walsh trusted Tomlin to carry out complex and important orders without micromanagement. And he was easy to order around. But, as was evident from Walsh's behavior around Tomlin, she disliked or felt uncomfortable around the synthetic.

This was my thought process for: this is why this synthetic behavior was permissible.

Now as for why I found this AI compelling, and why I think you should find it too, I was thinking about how predator personalities don't have a great degree of variety. With synthetics it was also tough to see where there was room to make something unique. One way would've been to do a method gimmick well, kind of like Mortimer, but I didn't have the stamina to pull that gimmick off during a round (for what it's worth, I was leaning towards a super Scottish synthetic when I considered this). So I asked myself, who are parts of a community that haven't been represented among CM synthetics? It was pretty immediate: the politburo's appratchiks! Alternatively, compliance officers. You never feel comfy around them, but you trust them to act for the institution. More importantly, they're a very integrated part of the community, so like all good synthetics they're easy to talk to and easy to order around. Just remember to toe the party line!

tl;dr The takeaway is that Tomlin doesn't act "two-faced." Rather, Tomlin is that compliance officer, OSHA inspector, politburo apparatchik, or HOA member neighbor. You trust them in their capacity as a member of their institution and community. It's easy to communicate with them and give them orders. But damn if they aren't tricky people. Some personalities will get along poorly with them because they're built for internal politics. Others will get along famously. This was what I showed with the juxtaposition between Balto and Chen in my synthetic's story.

The musician part is just to give me another goal during a round that I'm interesting in pursuing.

Quote Originally Posted by SolubleWhenWet View Post
    XO netspeak jobban aside, am I going to see the same "Hi, its me, your Synthetic, welcome to LZ2 haha" shit from you in this role as you do with Captain?
    No, same reason you don't see me to this as a predator. Not only is it too LRP for the role's guidelines, but fundamentally this is also outside the kind of image a predator player wishes to convey. i.e. even if the role was LRP, like say a clown on /tg/, you wouldn't say shit like this. But of course the role of predator in CM is HRP so one should expect more than just not doing this.

So it is with synthetics.
    Last edited by teafortwo; 06-16-2019 at 07:09 PM.

Synthetic Council Member Jakkkk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why'd you choose the name Tomlin?
    Synthetic Senator

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakkkk View Post
    Why'd you choose the name Tomlin?
    This dude. Just took Tomlin from the surname. Sounds Brit enough and normal enough.

OK, more precisely, Tomlin was just me taking a part of a name of a SIS dude and realizing it had that nice, mixed Brit-Euro sound that fits foreign service.
    Last edited by teafortwo; 06-17-2019 at 12:34 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally, we needed more homo British synths and I can't think of a better person to join the ranks. Personally I feel that your quirck is a good way to mix up the variety of synthetic types you'll come across, assuming you can follow through with it in game.

Tomlin is also a unique name which is somewhat common. There are multiple celebrities with the name afterall so I don't see it as being an issue.

It's a +1 from me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What getting denied would mean to you?

What made you apply for this WL?
    Marine: Mel Kim
    Captain: Mel Kim
    Synth: Yuki
    Mentor: 12/13/2018 - 02/07/2019 -> TrialMod: 02/07/2019 - 02/22/2019-> Moderator: 02/22/2019 - 01/xx/2020

Ex-term 3 synthetic councillor.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Teafortwo as a CO is a literally a meme but does his job

Teafortwo as a predator takes the role seriously and can RP

I don't vote for whitelists anymore unless its a pred, but if its a serious role he will give serious RP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedroca2lucas View Post
    What getting denied would mean to you?
    Likely mean that unless I can think of another synthetic personality I'm interested in running, I won't apply again. I'm not looking to get the role in and of itself, but to get the role and find a playstyle in the role that I'm interested in running.

What I don't want to play is a prototypical happy-go-lucky synth. At most, I might have a regional gimmick synth like a Scot synth, though as you've already noticed I already elected not to apply with that personality so I'm not sure how interested I'd be in reapplying with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedroca2lucas View Post
    What made you apply for this WL?
    I like doing surgery and shipside engineering. I also like doing planetside medicine and engineering. I like having a position close to Command staff so I can keep an eye on the marines' progress. Few roles would allow me to do all of this but synthetic. The closest are roles like XO/CO, but they have duties to their crew which come first.

Other minor interests are, first, that synths are often attuned to shipside/event drama. God I love problems on the Almayer. Second, that synth fashion is next-level and I want in on it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give me a made up dialogue between Tomlin and UPP POW in the brig.
    Bert 'SOAB' Beach CARGONIA
    Henrik & Leeroy SYNTHETIC
    Rau'ta H'chak YAUTJA

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

"Honestly, how can you hire this cunt? You must be really fucked up to hire someone like him."

sexy avatar by Manezinho