User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Metagaming, the Nonrule

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Metagaming, the Nonrule

As we know it right now metagaming isn't really a rule outside of metacomms or ghosting and rushing where something or someone is once you get defibbed or rejoin xeno.

Meanwhile going up after getting facehugged before seeing any xeno, running away from an primed grenade before seeing what one is, is known to be not something that the staff is going to enforce neither should they. Why? Because it's unfun to be forced to just instantly die because of said things.

Then there's also the fact that we have obfuscated data such as how much damage an M5 knife does or how much damage a xeno slash does and how useless the gauze is on healing outside stopping bleeding and infection, and so on.
    Yet despite that we have experienced players knowing the range of damage some weapon does simply because they've been around for quite a while.

So really, what I'm asking is: Why all the "mystery"? Why make gameplay mechanics not as obvious?
    I see it as a problem because newer players do not know this and thus might make a decision that isn't their intended one simply because they do not know how "good" or "bad" something is due to lack of data for them to make their own judgement on which could be just as unfun as being forced into a situation due to lack of metaknowledge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dev team and staff have a particular vision for the way the game is meant to be played, but no one actually plays it like that and they're unwilling to make the sort of changes that would be required to force people to play it that way because a large portion of the playerbase would leave. So the game currently sits in this kind of limbo state where a lot of measures to enforce that intended playstyle exist in both the rules and mechanics, but aren't severe enough to actually work and so just interfere with the way that people actually play the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we live in a meta of things constantly changing, I wouldnt want to be the dev that has to publish every numbers change every time. Shit would suck, keeping the wiki up to date would suck more, player attitudes when every little thing gets changed would be trash. Secret changes would be completely impossible, thus completely removing the devs abilities to make subtle changes and seeing how players react without them even knowing theyre there.

Plus, fuck it why do people think they need to know the exactly numbers on things to do their min-max builds.
    Let you in on a secret. You wanna be the best meta min-max build? Mini-medic, shotgun, buckshot, light armor. Yeet the benos and or die trying. Thats it. Thats all you have to know. All the other little details in there, literally dont matter. How much damage the shotgun does? Who gives a shit its the most damage. How much the drop off is for buck? Doesnt matter just PB with it. Exact run speed numbers for different armors? Doesnt matter you know light is fast and all you need is speed.

Thats the way I see it. I've been a min-maxer in a dozen other games over my years and I can tell you that if you're serious about that shit, it can be toxic as fuck. Keeping numbers hidden isnt gonna stop people from knowing whats the best. You can figure that out on your own super easy if you arent a brainlet. But it will stop the assholes from nitpicking every single little number change and whatever fucking other autistic nonsense people obsess over.

Not knowing the exact numbers on things doesnt make the game less fun. It prevents an even greater decline in fun by being less toxic. Think its bad already how people act sometimes when things are changed? Double it if they know the exact numbers and shit every time something was changed.
    Chen "Disco" West, Proud recipient of the "Realest Nigga on the Bloc" Award.
    My Dossier, it's good. Trust me. Read it.
    Secondary Objective: Stay Safe, Stick Together, Kick the ass of anything that might need an ass kicking. If you find any booze bring it up to CIC for me please.
    Not everyone who lost their life on Space Nam' died there. Not everyone who came home from Space Nam' ever left there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some doubts about drawing conclusions from seeing how people react to secret changes.
    It's like rearranging a blind person's room, maybe funny but not exactly useful.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    idk why people think its metagaming for xenos to not stand ontop of a grenade or whatever "cause they never seen it before". Xenos are a hivemind with a psychic link to each other. They are linked to the queen mother who is in a completely different galaxy. That means all xenos every where share thoughts and experiences. The Whiskey Outpost incident was before the current games time. That means xenos have fought marines before so they would have seen all of this stuff atleast once. That's not even counting anything else that has happened anywhere else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also agree that a bit of fog around exact data keeps people less nitpickey and toxic. It disables the ability for anyone to be hyper-focused on exact numbers and forces you to take a more intuitive approach to playing the game. That is, get a feel for how effective something is vs focusing on exact data. I think the blind man metaphor is quite a stretch. In this case we can see the outlines and colors of objects just not exact dimensions. Which is fine.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    idk why people think its metagaming for xenos to not stand ontop of a grenade or whatever "cause they never seen it before". Xenos are a hivemind with a psychic link to each other. They are linked to the queen mother who is in a completely different galaxy. That means all xenos every where share thoughts and experiences. The Whiskey Outpost incident was before the current games time. That means xenos have fought marines before so they would have seen all of this stuff atleast once. That's not even counting anything else that has happened anywhere else.
    I hope it's not cannon, otherwise benos suck even on paper. Fucking magicians. No hivemind works this way. Every beno being psychic sucks ass and they don't even have gameplay and roleplay flaws of such "hivemind". In AvP game, when Queen died, every beno got "shocked" in pain, dropping on floor, making "6" easy capture.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    I hope it's not cannon, otherwise benos suck even on paper. Fucking magicians. No hivemind works this way. Every beno being psychic sucks ass and they don't even have gameplay and roleplay flaws of such "hivemind". In AvP game, when Queen died, every beno got "shocked" in pain, dropping on floor, making "6" easy capture.
    ya why do you think they got "shocked in pain" cause they are psychically linked. The queens scream is psychic that's why it stuns you, its not literally just really loud. How do you think the queen can talk to marines or how the synth understands xenos? they don't actually talk.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    ya why do you think they got "shocked in pain" cause they are psychically linked. The queens scream is psychic that's why it stuns you, its not literally just really loud. How do you think the queen can talk to marines or how the synth understands xenos? they don't actually talk.
    They do talk and screech is blocked by earmuffs, of if you are simply behind a wall, or deaf. Queen talks to marines in stupid psychic way, but normal benos speak by grunts and hiss, this is why we can hear them speaking, but we can't understand it. Synth can learn their language because it's not psychic, as he is machine and machine can't be accessed via bullshit psychic connection.

That's the worst idea about benos ever invented. Even Ridley with his Prometheus didn't buther the franchise like "psychic" shit. All benefits no flaws I say.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    They do talk and screech is blocked by earmuffs, of if you are simply behind a wall, or deaf. Queen talks to marines in stupid psychic way, but normal benos speak by grunts and hiss, this is why we can hear them speaking, but we can't understand it. Synth can learn their language because it's not psychic, as he is machine and machine can't be accessed via bullshit psychic connection.

That's the worst idea about benos ever invented. Even Ridley with his Prometheus didn't buther the franchise like "psychic" shit. All benefits no flaws I say.
    Earmuffs don't work anymore. Ya just cause theres a local talk is the only reason they "speak" they still talk in hive mind psychically across the map. Synthetics aren't machines they are biological. They are like the replicants in blade runner. When the synthetics get ripped to pieces you never see circuits and metal you see white milky shit that's their blood and their internal organs.

edit: I looked it up and apparently the synthetics are half and half. they have processors for brains but they use synthetically engineered muscle and shit so they are basically a human with a computer brain. So ya maybe they cant be psychically linked
    Last edited by MasterShakeEZ; 06-20-2019 at 10:46 AM.