Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Metagaming, the Nonrule

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    Earmuffs don't work anymore. Ya just cause theres a local talk is the only reason they "speak" they still talk in hive mind psychically across the map. Synthetics aren't machines they are biological. They are like the replicants in blade runner. When the synthetics get ripped to pieces you never see circuits and metal you see white milky shit that's their blood and their internal organs.
    They removed it too? Well, then standing behind a wall still works.
    If synths are like replicants in blade runner, then how they can survive decapitation? How can they repair themselfs with cable coil and welder? Why Ash's head could be just linked with few cables and work? Bullshit I say.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    They removed it too? Well, then standing behind a wall still works.
    If synths are like replicants in blade runner, then how they can survive decapitation? How can they repair themselfs with cable coil and welder? Why Ash's head could be just linked with few cables and work? Bullshit I say.
    Ya I guess my edit was too late but I looked it up and they apparently have computer processors instead of brains but they still use skeleton systems and synthetic muscle and stuff like a biological creature would. CM just made them have metal limbs for some reason idk.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya I guess my edit was too late but I looked it up and they apparently have computer processors instead of brains but they still use skeleton systems and synthetic muscle and stuff like a biological creature would. CM just made them have metal limbs for some reason idk.
    Because this is cooler, but I know it was just laziness, not intentional.

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd assume this is either because Synths are so much better than Marines ingame that if they were able to be healed by anyone with pills it'd be too easy to fix them up or because metal limbs don't suffer bone breaks from what I've seen. So I'd assume it's a way to make them more durable than humans without having them be as easy to patch up as a human.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The staff needs to pick between either enforcing it themselves through crackdowns or take the position of "if the devs havent fixed it, its allowed". Stop waffling between both.

I think we need more crackdowns myself, becuase devs can be slow. And I am tired of seeing the entire TCOMMS wall on big red pre-acided, or having a burrower pop into the cockpit to slaughter the pilot.

Its a hard balance though when it comes to stuff like facehuggers..

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardedWall View Post
    The staff needs to pick between either enforcing it themselves through crackdowns or take the position of "if the devs havent fixed it, its allowed". Stop waffling between both.
    Why? Why do we have to pick one of two extremes?

I think we need more crackdowns myself, becuase devs can be slow.
    Sometimes shit goes public in a day and everyone uses it the day after.
    And I am tired of seeing the entire TCOMMS wall on big red pre-acided,
    It's a nightmare insert. Adapt to it. Xenos can't pre-melt TCOMMS or they will get bwoinked
    or having a burrower pop into the cockpit to slaughter the pilot.
    This is no longer possible

Its a hard balance though when it comes to stuff like facehuggers..
    the difference is in effectiveness depending on how much info you let players use roundstart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its enforced rarely and sporadically because the server is not a perfect surveillance state. the most reliable way to stop unwanted behaviors is through hard mechanical changes such as we have seen with the skills system, time limits on certain things, and etc

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NethIafins View Post
    Because when you float in the middle, the admins are afraid to crack down because they dont know if something is just "cheesey" but allowed because the devs havent fixed it. And the devs aren't super focused on focusing on "metaabuse" because they think the admins cover it. So you get a situation where both sides are thinking the other side is enforcing the rule.

And apologies, I didnt mean to imply that you guys did a bad job or anything, let me rephrase. I meant more like, it is impossible for the devs to fix the game so that no meta ever happens. Thus I think staff should crack down more. Even if it is just warnings.

And the burrower one was just an example but I will clarify. I was a PO the other day, during evac a burrower burrowed into the cockpit and killed me. Because the doors were locked down the tank could not get onboard and the evac was a nightmare. When I ahelped, admins were of the opinion that while they knew the devs were planning on fixing it in the future (this was a bit ago) it wasn't TECHNICALLY not allowed. To me, having the burrower know exactly what tile to burrow on, to kill a pilot (how do aliens know what a pilot even is) during the evac is meta in the extreme. But the admin, knowing that the devs were fixing it, wasnt keen on cracking down as it "soon wouldnt matter". By the time they talked it through, talked with me more, and eventually resed me it didn't matter. Tons of marines were left, the tank was left, and aliens had an easy time of it.

This is a relatively minor issue though... The good news is that despite my paragraphs of bitching I still think the metagaming isnt a big deal by comparison.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NethIafins View Post
    they're not so much extremes as they are 2 ways of consistently enforcing rules, so that players aren't always left wondering if they'll get banned or yelled at for doing things. consistency is key to making sure that players feel that the rules they have to play under are fair and beneficial.

for example, in regards to the tank binoculars thing I received at least 4 conflicting reports from various admins and moderators as to whether it was allowed or not and at the time the tank was the cornerstone of every round and whether it was allowed or not could be a deciding factor in how effective the tank was in a given round. having it be enforced on a "whatever the staff currently on felt like" basis made it feel like not using it was gimping your effectiveness but using it left you at the risk of an admin deciding it wasn't okay and smiting you. A blanket ruling in either direction would have prevented all that, and other examples of the same sort of thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Survivors are the worst offenders for meta gaming. Every round they either exploit some in game glitch like hiding behind wooden barricades (which makes you invisible to xeno sense), hang around the landing zones (where xenos conveniently can't weed) or use indestructible objects like fax machines that they can move.

And then when they get beaten cry about how unfair survivor is.