User Tag List

Thread: Foolosopher - Developer Application (Coder)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Foolosopher - Developer Application (Coder)

Developer Application
    Byond ID?
    Foolosopher

Age?

Gender?
    Male

How would you define yourself? (Coder, Mapper, Spriter):
    Coder

If Coder, what languages?
    C/C++

Any previous experience developing with SS13?
    Fooled around with TGMC's initial commits a bit, but I've never developed for a server before

Proof of any previous or current work:
    Outside of DM, I don't have much to show. I made some projects in C++ to train my skills but many were kept incomplete. Here's a recent, though simple one

https://pastebin.com/kStF6DgU/// Nevermind, here's a better version I made recently https://pastebin.com/3NUReC8s

Which I used in some other projects to center text using std::cout

Now, for DM, I have something I was working on in the last day and a half which I'm quite pleased with. Based on a suggestion I made (https://gitlab.com/cmdevs/ColonialMarines/issues/6847). A xeno structure that allows the Queen to boost a xeno's evolution, as well as evolve buried larva without having a player assigned to them. For now it can only evolve these ckey-less xenos and boost evolution timers, but at least half of the concept is proven to be implementable at the moment (also don't mind the sprites)

Spoiler Spoiler:

How well do you know Git?
    I've messed with git once, had a repo shared with a teacher; else than that, I don't use it. But I'm sure I can get the basics

Your primary job is server development, not policing the server. You may be given Moderator-level of access but you should *not* be invoking any administrative actions unless there are no moderators or Admins online. Do you understand?
    Yes

Anything else you'd like to add?
    I've always wanted to help with CM's development, so I'm giving it a(nother) shot. This time not limited by Junior Dev prerequisites and such.

There's a lot that can be added to the game to make it more enjoyable for everyone, and I'd like to work on that.
    Last edited by Foolosopher; 06-26-2019 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Added better code for proof of current work

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Foolosopher:

We are currently actively considering your application.

Here's a couple of development related questions:

1. Largest current balance issue?
    2. Biggest issue with the Xeno faction?
    3. First feature you would add for Xenos? (excepting the demo you made for your app)
    4. First feature you would add for Marines?

I was also wondering if you could give me the code for the feature you showcased in your initial post.

Finally, we noticed you had a lot of player notes during our standard applicant background check.
    Could you tell us some more about what you've done to move past these notes and improve as a member of the community?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Largest current balance issue?
    Hard to say, since a lot of things have changed recently, and I've been seeing both marine and xeno wins lately.

I'd say that the endgame is pretty unbalanced, since marines usually have triple the number of xenos to hold a map composed mostly of corridors. Both a consequence of planetside gameplay and of how the crash works, I believe

2. Biggest issue with the Xeno faction?
    "Good" xenos (the ones that can stand a chance in a marine push/deal with the tank) taking too long to mature to the point that they're useful, and stat balancing based on the fact that said xenos MUST live, else the hive will be in a major disadvantage

3. First feature you would add for Xenos? (excepting the demo you made for your app)
    Reduced xeno respawn timers. Also, a special reagent that coagulates bleeding wounds and resets toxin and oxygen damage, exclusive to huggers

4. First feature you would add for Marines?
    I have lots of ambitions for marines, most of which are too big or complex to ever be implemented, but one simple thing I'd like to do is change how Gas Masks work (Issue #5903)

As for something "bigger", Engineer Laptops I guess (#6802)

EDIT: Oh shit I forgot, one thing I've always wanted to do: marines get "health bracelets" (not an actual item, but something shown when examining), which let them and other marines check their health status and if they're permadead. Of course, it wouldn't give numbers, just show a color (for example: 100%-90% health displayed as bright green, 80%-70% as a yellowish green, and so on)

I was also wondering if you could give me the code for the feature you showcased in your initial post.
    Sure. Should I post it here or PM it?

Finally, we noticed you had a lot of player notes during our standard applicant background check.
    Could you tell us some more about what you've done to move past these notes and improve as a member of the community?
    Well, I don't remember when was the last time I received a note, not even sure if it happened this year. But about the old ones, I'll just say I was newer to SS13 and CM in general, so I did meme a lot. Nowadays, I don't see any reason to break the rules, not even for fun. You could say I grew up, or maybe I just began to enjoy CM as... whatever it is... more than shooty shoot bang bang

Posting/sending the notes would help a bit too, since I really don't remember how long has it been since I last got noted.
    Last edited by Foolosopher; 07-12-2019 at 01:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, since this is taking quite a while, here's something I've been working on in the meanwhile... or rather, an idea I had yesterday. Unlike the other example I sent earlier, this one's fully finished

An uniform attachable health monitor; meant to be attached to every marine's uniform, it displays basic info about the user's health, which would make it much easier for regular marines to check if a body is dead, revivable or knocked down by examining them with shift + click.

Since I don't have the current version of the code, with the uniform attachments reworked and such, I had to make some changes to ties (AKA Acessories); as in, when examined, a uniform with an acessory can be further examined (it calls clothing/tie's Topic and calls it's examine() proc. With this, it's possible for more interactions between a marine and it's or another marine's acessories. I might have worded it in a confusing way, but that's basically it.

The sensor displays 4 lines of info (minimalistic though, as a device of that size shouldn't be able to give out full readings):
    BLOOD, the user's blood level which can be either SAFE (higher than minimal threshold) or DNGR (below it);
    NERVS, the state of the user's nervous system, can either be ACTIV (subject is conscious) or INACT (knocked out/dead)
    BPM, the pulse (not really that useful)
    BRACT, the brain activity of the user, which is OK while the user is revivable, dead or not, and NR (Non-responsive / Non-revivable) when they're past the threshold

Enough text, here are some screenshots, which will probably explain much more
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To update this app.
    The coder test was send and made.
    We are in the process of reviewing the coder test.

How to become senior dev.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Foolosopher,

Your application was discussed during our developer meetings and accepted.
    But while we are busy with the getting a new head dev we will delay accepting the app.
    Our apologies for the delay.

How to become senior dev.

Washed up CM-SS13 Host NGGJamie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Accepted.
    Synthetic Application-Leonard [Accepted] - Predator Application-Thei-De Na'Tauk [Accepted]

Mentor: 06/28/2017 - 08/07/2017 / Trial Moderator 08/07/2017 - 08/25/17 / Moderator 08/25/17 - 10/11/17 / Trial Admin 10/11/17 - 10/30/17 / Senior Mentor 10/30/17 - 03/15/18 / Mod Manager 03/15/18 - 07/08/18 / Coder 07/08/18 - 07/27/18 / Host 07/27/18 - 10/19/22

I run Linux on all of my machines and actively reject Windows. I have some cool dotfiles up on Github for configuring some of my favorite stuff.

Contact Info:
    Spoiler Spoiler: