User Tag List

Thread: Aceluke - Developer Application (Mapper)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aceluke - Developer Application (Mapper)

Developer Application
    Byond ID?
    Aceluke

Age?

Gender?
    Male

How would you define yourself? (Coder, Mapper, Spriter):
    Mapper

If Coder, what languages?
    N/A

Any previous experience developing with SS13?
    None at all, the only thing I�ve done before attempting this is moderate the server.

Proof of any previous or current work:
    The only work I have to show currently is my revision I planned of ice. Something I�ve spent the past two weeks (or so) remaking. Utilizing the sprites and restructuring the old building designs to suit a more balanced design for gameplay between marines and xenos.

What I wanted to do was remake ice colony to be �one Z-level� (even though it currently is) instead of how the map currently is with 2 different sections of the map connected with ladders and elevators. It�s the biggest complaint people have about ice and I feel it can be solved rather simply by a map redesign.

Using the older assets and changing the designs to suit a more �updated� feel I felt would work best to assist players in acclimating to a new map if the design was used. The underground being on the south and the above ground on the north.

The pictures I�ve shown are slightly out of date (by about 1-2 days) with my addition of the actual �area� layer having been done for the currently built locatioms.

I would say when it comes to completion I am:
    80% done with the outside (not counting final touches to make it seem abandoned/dead and survivor spawn locations)
    With my time of completion being around Sunday-Tuesday of next week if I continue at my current pace.

Link to current work pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/9FCp3Dk

Commentary on my work should be in the link and explanation of what is there.
    Most of the map is going to be tank accessible but that can be changed relatively easily.

Quick edit: I forgot to mention but on the far northwest of the map is meant to be a sensor tower that would be blocked behind a sort of �avalanche� of snow that goes away after a (slightly) randomized amount of time. Around 1:30 into the round so that it can help the marines find the xenos if they are doing better than the marines.

How well do you know Git?
    Not at all outside of putting up suggestions or bugs.

Your primary job is server development, not policing the server. You may be given Moderator-level of access but you should *not* be invoking any administrative actions unless there are no moderators or Admins online. Do you understand?
    Yes

Anything else you'd like to add?
    My initial plan was to apply with the idea of working on ice and just make an entire new map with 1 Z-level. Though I was advised against trying to go with a singular focus on my app, so instead of waiting to apply when the map was finished I�ve decided to post now with my current build and continue until finished.

I�m perfectly fine working on other maps and maintaining them as well with my second interest honestly being a re-do of prison station. That map definitely needs a remodel if it�s something asked for.

Currently I don�t have any ideas for the other maps though if there�s any questions for me I�ll do my best to answer them.

I would be more than willing to map or build anything asked for of me by the other developers if I am accepted.

With my current (could change) plans leaving myself free to work on mapping for almost an entire week for all next week (as of applying) I will probably knock out the ice re-do relatively soon if I continue at my current pace.

I�ll also add to this application that my server playtime and retirement from the moderation team was done partially for a break, change of pace, and so I would have more time to work on a map, and give myself motivation to map instead of just play (This is essentially a notification of why I haven�t played a full round in about a week or so).
    Last edited by Aceluke; 06-25-2019 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Stuff I forgot and final edits.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an update to the ice colony map which I have been working on

So first off I was told it would be best to describe the overall end-goal of the map and how it would function, so let's start off simple.

The design of the map and the end goal

Spoiler Spoiler:

The setting when Distress is answered
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Now for gameplay-wise rather than storywise
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Current status of the map is at around 80% completion with final touches being the last thing required, this is alongside underground Research and Security needing to be finished.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Future adds (eventually)

Spoiler Spoiler:

PS: There are two telecoms, one on each LZ. LZ1 had it located nearby but not directly beside the dropship so it isn't as impenetrable, while LZ2 has the telecoms to it's north where it can be flanked by the caves if the Xenos manage to push marines back that far.

The end goal is to either let marines have both telecoms to use, or have the Almayer 'link' to a telecoms network on the ground when you choose a primary LZ which causes only that landing zone's telecoms APC to actually work and allow communications.

PPS: Mini view of the map: https://imgur.com/a/j7f1WnS

UPDATE: NEW MAP PICTURE HQ. (not most recent update)
    https://imgur.com/a/cORbwQF

Most recent update: https://imgur.com/a/qb5FcYQ
    Last edited by Aceluke; 07-02-2019 at 07:15 AM.
    Characters
    Alex Rossfield - Marine Roles
    Luke Diamond - Captain
    Lukas - Synthetic
    Alex Rossfield
    CM History
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the app, Ace.

The ideas are sound so far, and I get the impression that you have a clear image of how you want the map to turn out in your head.
    The surface design seems fine to me.
    I appreciate the map isn't quite finished yet, but I would just like to mention underground research. The corridors in western research may be too open, or too long (the large horizontal corridor in particular). The reason being that marines pushing from LZ2 and security can fire down the corridors and gun down xenos off-screen. Meanwhile, the xenos don't have too many escape options, and with marines pushing like this, they would probably be on the back foot from this point onward. Xenos often need to dart in and out of cover, so I am concerned they may not be able to here. Speaking of which, do you plan on opening up the outer wall to access the caves, as that may help with the issue.

Anyhow, that was my main concern.

Here are some questions regarding general gameplay:

Where would you like mid-game combat to take place (what middle-ground would be fought over)?
    Is two-tile or one-tile combat going to be an issue is any places?
    Can queens use any alternate hive locations (like current Ice)?
    Where do you want to see forward defences built (think BR bar)?

And, on an off-topic note:
    If you could change one feature of Trijent, what would it be and why?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This will be a long long reply so get ready to read a lot... ;D

I also hope I don't sound snarky or rude at all in my responses, I just try to put emotions into it and I want to be in-depth in my answers to you.

Okay, so I'm going to go through your questions from the top with spoilers for my answers and pictures/graphs to show off things because everyone likes pictures (helps a lot with explanations). I'll also include the current status of my map at the end and re-iterate my ideas for the map that is mostly just optional as I can't code it and the general theme won't be expressed in this map until I re-make some portions of the design to showcase the idea.

Plus I'll probably describe my thought process in the map set-up for everyone reading to understand. Lots of pictures will be involved so get ready for many imgur links.

I'd also first like to apologise for all the useless pictures involved in this application as the map is ever changing currently with me remodeling it constantly so some of your questions I've already thought of and was in the process of figuring out ways to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slywater View Post

I appreciate the map isn't quite finished yet, but I would just like to mention underground research. The corridors in western research may be too open, or too long (the large horizontal corridor in particular). The reason being that marines pushing from LZ2 and security can fire down the corridors and gun down Xenos off-screen. Meanwhile, the Xenos don't have too many escape options, and with marines pushing like this, they would probably be on the back foot from this point onward. Xenos often needs to dart in and out of cover, so I am concerned they may not be able to here. Speaking of which, do you plan on opening up the outer wall to access the caves, as that may help with the issue.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Here are some questions regarding general gameplay:

Where would you like mid-game combat to take place (what middle-ground would be fought over)?
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Is two-tile or one-tile combat going to be an issue is any places?
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Can queens use any alternate hive locations (like current Ice)?
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Where do you want to see forward defenses built (think BR bar)?
    Spoiler Spoiler:

And, on an off-topic note:
    If you could change one feature of Trijent, what would it be and why?
    Spoiler Spoiler:

And now is where I say that I won't talk too much about my own map currently as I've already spent 2 hours and 30 minutes on this reply and it's quite exhaustive at this point with my mind wanting a break. Anything else I feel needs added will be done later in another reply. Probably something about my updated map and how I've progressed...

For now take this again: https://imgur.com/a/rXi0cUd

As I just remembered this right now.

This is a size comparison to other maps currently. Link: https://imgur.com/a/idMkhGD

I decided to widen the caves and give more 'hive room' for Xenos on the map so they can nest inside the caves much easier versus in the labs.
    Map: https://imgur.com/a/jrX8LHd
    Last edited by Aceluke; 07-03-2019 at 12:34 AM.
    Characters
    Luke Diamond - Captain
    Lukas - Synthetic
    Alex Rossfield
    CM History
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, Slywater,

So I am only replying to this again in its own separate comment because I feel as though I solved one of your concerns very well when it comes to the 4 wide hallway situation. (plus the map is what I can consider almost done when it comes to map design, I just need a few more details placed and finished.... (plus security)

Here it is: https://imgur.com/a/gmKDMqL
    Last edited by Aceluke; 07-04-2019 at 12:31 AM.
    Characters
    Luke Diamond - Captain
    Lukas - Synthetic
    Alex Rossfield
    CM History
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Aceluke,
    We're happy with what you've shown us and have decided to issue you the mapping test. I'd like to see you focus on showing your ability to plan out how in-game situations could potentially pan out in your level, so without further ado:
    Here is your mapping test

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, this took quite some time to build due to my busy work schedule, but I expected to get this done before two weeks and I managed to get it done with all tests requirements being shown on the application.

So let's first start off with the concept of this map change. I will point out I did not change the entire map of Big Red for this endeavor as the main focus of the map was the UPP base I created on the map.

First the Medbay
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Second the Hangar
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Lastly the UPP Quarters
    Spoiler Spoiler:

I suppose I should mention that while the base itself is done, it will take a bit more work to incorporate it into the bigger Solaris Ridge buildings, a re-do of the bar and hydroponics would be required slightly though retrofitted currently I think they wouldn't be a horrible location to stage combat at.

View of the entire area before I edited the map to a more 'open' area:
    https://imgur.com/a/SpH74zN

This is a map of how it looks after opening up the hangar away from security and moving around a bit of the other big red buildings:
    https://imgur.com/a/mQJ8RQF
    Last edited by Aceluke; 07-18-2019 at 06:35 AM.
    Characters
    Luke Diamond - Captain
    Lukas - Synthetic
    Alex Rossfield
    CM History
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't believe they actually accepted this scrub.
    SMH