User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Withdrawn] Viperious - Commander Application

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, before I respond to Noah's comment in detail, I will just put it out there in the original story as it was written, McMillen was 45 at the time he became Commander. I know it's passed the 1 hour editing period, so I'll just post some of the redacted information about age and dates here:

In 2160, at the age of 18, he moved to the United States on a student Visa to complete a History Degree.

At the Age of 45, a team of UPP spies borded the Almayer and greatly wounded McMillen, before killing the Captain with a bullet to the brain.

At I was rewriting the story, I made some adjustments and expanded on some things, hence why the redacted parts don't like up perfectly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe you should finish up and polish the story before you post it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it just me or have I not seen you go XO very often? Is my memory just shit?
    Commanding Officer Mark 'Sherman' Wilson

Synthetic Unit Marcus

Predator Rekag'Voli

Spoiler Spoiler:

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahKirchner View Post
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Thankyou for the reply, you bring up many valid points that I will attempt to respond to at the best of my ability.

To begin with, I redacted the information regarding personal details to remove problems people might have with those details, though that has evidently back fired from something that I thought was pretty clever and interesting.

Yes, McMillen is portrayed as an "awesome CO who is mega badass", but my intention was to show briefly how he rose through the ranks. Yes, I should/could have expanded with an additional segment going into how he actually acts as a Captain, the problem comes from the fact that I originally wrote this story in March and changed it around when doing the application, I was unaware of how short and limited the story was until after I had uploaded the app, but by then all I could do was add more details in between parts to flesh it out, granted this was during the previous round, so I kept having to tab in and out so I didn't miss deployment or squad prep since I was aSL.

I don't think I need to say anything regarding the questions.

Regarding my actions as XO not being up to the RP standards that I have stated I will aim to reach as a CO, it usually comes down the additional requires dropped onto me. I play every round differently as XO because the CO will usually give me different tasks. For instance, in the Trijent map you later mention, I had to handle all 4 overwatches because the SO's kept dissapearing, a magnetic virus, the inability to perform briefing due to that magetic virus, the CO having a ritual sacrifice in the chapel, requisitions mutinying for something, getting tazed and cuffed the CMP for trying to cease hostilities between req and sec and almost arrested until the RO killed the CMP for trying to arrest them aswell, all of this within the space of 20 minutes. And in the example you provided about my earlier XO round on LV, the midi had just played about Xenos being mad, and since the CO had ordered me to deploy with a megaphone, provide him with information of the squads and coordinate things ground side, I decided to try and have a sing along for "hoes mad" on the Alamo, and later on followed the CO's orders completely by coordinating 3 squads with a megaphone and forcing them to push across the bridge, link up with Delta and into the caves.

The point I'm trying to make is, as CO, I will be the one dumping responsibilities onto people below me, giving me more chances to actually go through with role play that I want to include. In that LV round, I even tried to have the CO wait until briefing was about to begin before entereing the briefing box so I could announce "Captain on deck!" and have everyone salute him, but he wasn't having it. Not saying I don't make mistakes or get carried away, but alot of my behaviour as XO is based on external events forcing my attention.

Regarding turning my CO application into a reference generation, I backed off from that idea from the responses I got and decided not to throw away my application for some jokes.

Regarding my ability to cope when things don't go to plan, I am inclined to disagree, though when I am trying out new strats, I try and push through the problems as I expect marines to not conform to new kinds of orders that quickly, and when 1 squad fucks up while other squads are in position, I will try and follow through, hoping that one squad's mess up won't cause a complete rout of all marine forces (which it usually does do).

And to close up, honestly, I love throwing in pop culture references when I'm appropriate situations, like standing behind a horde of marines pushing through a chokepoint with a megaphone saying "ORDER 227 IS IN EFFECT. NO RETREAT. NO SURRENDER" because I was ordered to "rally" the troops, but I only do them when they don't feel horribly out of place, and I would rarely do them when playing the CO role as that could very well cost me the whitelist. I already got in minor trouble because I was a headless synth for 3 hours on Ice left in the dark, and when the round ended, I started singing the portal song and posted a screenshot in synthetic chat.

In the end, if the application get's denied, I'll definetely go with a more story based "story" for the next one, like I did for my Synthetic application. I don't know if I went with a simpler dossier out of cockiness, or tiredness as it's currently 8:34am local time. Thanks again for the reply.
    Last edited by NGGJamie; 06-29-2019 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Spoiler'd quote

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical 445 View Post
    Is it just me or have I not seen you go XO very often? Is my memory just shit?
    I recently started playing command roles again over the last couple of weeks. I haven't directly XOd for you since then as when you're CO, I'm usually a spec or squad leader, though hopefully I'll get a chance soon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://gyazo.com/ab08d1717c588b63f6b25eefe423dd94

Apologies if it's hard to read that picture, but if it's possible, that basically sums up what I have to say.

Viperious

I have nothing against you. But we told you last week what we wanted to see, and you ignored it. I hope you can see how that stings, cause this isn't the first time it's happened. I have yet to see you really play any of those roles, and I play quite a bit at the moment.

The app is subpar, and I just...I don't know what to say except

Sorry man, but this stings and I can't accept it.

Your 'Friendly' Neighborhood Captain, Frans Feiffer. Austrian Kommodore vith zie vorst accent, survivor of Space Vietnam, and Loving Caretaker of the Ungas Aboard the USS Almayer.
    Pred App that is now null lol
    Synthetic model Darwin

Spoiler Spoiler:

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spoiler Spoiler:

I stand by what I said in response, I do play alot of SL, spec and I have been playing alot of XO rounds lately, though as I also said to Tactical, I haven't had the chance to play under you since I started playing command again after my burn out ended. Hopefully the CO's I have played under will comment about their experiences, since they're the only people who can currently give direct character witness. Thank you for the response.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't care about stories as I think they are a ineffective gatekeeping device and anyone can RP a decent character.

As a matter of public record: previously stories were not even a requirement for the CO whitelist.

examples
    https://cm-ss13.com/old/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=10196
    https://cm-ss13.com/old/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=10185
    https://cm-ss13.com/old/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=12181
    https://cm-ss13.com/old/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=16769
    https://cm-ss13.com/old/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=15202
    https://cm-ss13.com/old/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=17692

I won't be debating it here. Feel free to talk it over with me on discord (When I'm awake and up to talk about it). But lets not do it here to keep the clutter to a minimum.

Constructive criticism

As far as if you've re-earned the trust of the community ect I believe you have. You do attract a bunch of drama, most isn't your fault but it causes you to be more sensitive to criticism or insults than most. That being said you were able to get a synth whitelist and handled it alright.

I would like to see a bit more professionalism but you do better than most given your situation and you just have a lot on your dish.

I've seen you as XO and you do a decent job. I haven't had issues with you in that role and have had fun.

+1 as far as in game issues are concerned.
    Last edited by starmute; 06-29-2019 at 08:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by starmute View Post
    +1 as far as in game issues are concerned.
    this guy gets it

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks man, the immediate negativity my app was recieving was shaking me a little, but I'm glad to see not all hope is lost yet ^^
    Last edited by Viperious; 06-29-2019 at 08:03 AM.