Byond ID?
    Plasmatik

Marine Name
    Sierra Hastings

Other Whitelist Applications
    None

Name of the Synth Character you wish to play
    Mary

Are you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines?
    Yes.

What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.
    Synths may defend themselves, but not approach combat aggressively. They cannot use firearms, but can attack with melee weapons. Defending a marine from a runner while dragging them back to the FOB for evacuation would be acceptable, while giving chase to that runner would not.

Synthetic Character Story
    I've written a story involving the character and a few others I made up on Google Docs. Here is the link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

What is your Synth�s quirk and personality?
    As a secretarial synth, Mary is incapable of rudeness and is designed to interact well with humans. Her primary function is to tend to the everyday needs of her human masters, such as arranging schedules, taking messages or preparing food, but she is also equipped with a fully featured synthetic AI and can perform the same tasks as other, earlier units. She speaks courteously with a joyful tone and views most situations as allegorical to office work. She treats command staff as an office assistant might treat their boss and views lower ranking crewmembers as her coworkers.

How familiar are you with Engineering?
    Extremely competent. There is nothing engineering related that I don't know how to do off the top of my head.

How familiar are you with Command?
    Very competent. I have played XO and SO many, many times under a variety of commanders. I know how to get marines to follow orders, I know how to strategize, and I know how DEFCON works.

How familiar are you with Medical?
    Moderately competent. I know how to triage and perform field medicine efficiently, but I still have to look up the steps for surgeries and the recipes for chemicals. EDIT: Since the first time I posted this, I've practiced surgery a bit more. Chems I still need to look up, but I can do common surgeries quickly now.

How familiar are you with Requisitions?
    Extremely competent. I know how to do everything related to requisitions efficiently.

Why do you want to be a synthetic/why should we whitelist you?
    I enjoy roleplaying a lot and I also happen to be a massive fan of cyberpunk fiction and other sci fi involving AIs or synthetic humans (like bladerunner, or ghost in the shell). I think I could do a good job bringing an uncanny valley spooky synthetic lady to life and I'd like the opportunity to give it a shot.

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason? Do you have any active jobbans?
    No and no.

Are you currently banned from our Discord, and if so, why?
    No.

Do you have anything else you would like to include about your application?
    Nope.

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
    Yes

Synthetic Council Member Jakkkk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "They cannot use firearms, but can attack with melee weapons." this is a poor example of when they can do combat, it's like saying "a marine can't use the rocket launcher, but can use a pulse rifle". What's not an example of a combat situation, it's a "how" not a "where/when/why".Your saving grace with this application is your OOC personality, well known IC competency, and dialogue. I found it humorous in a robotic way.

Why'd you choose the name Mary?

Is James Spectre a synthetic? I don't know if I'm just retarded but I can't figure out if it's Mary's brainmatter everywhere or not, which doesn't make sense. That's not the biggest issue.

Your synthetic in the story subdues an enemy by breaking their arm, then chooses to shove them into space and kills them. Can you explain to me what's wrong with this?
    Synthetic Senator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, I can give a couple more examples:

- I am ordered to construct defenses at the FOB by the CO. While doing so I am attacked by a lurker. In this situation, I can fight. If the lurker runs away, however, I may not chase him. If the lurker fights until he falls into critical condition, I can finish him off.

- While walking through the hall on the Almayer, I get attacked by a marine. In this situation, I may not fight except by non-harmful means, such as a flash, and I may not conduct arrests - only run away and report to the authorities.

Yeah, James turns out to have been a synthetic all along! A combat synth, at that! Weyland is using synths to sell synths 'cause they're fans of xzibit (And because one combat synth can protect 20 Marys while he goes around selling them and doesn't need to consume any supplies except fuel). This part may or may not be lore-friendly but I thought it made for a neat twist.

As for Mary shoving the guy out the airlock, yeah, in-game, if I subdued him first, I'd be obligated to give him over to the MPs instead. Generally, you would stop attacking the enemy when they are no longer a threat to you - however, I thought a synth killing a human was more impactful for story purposes. I admittedly got kinda sidetracked from writing a synth application story 'cause I just love writing sci fi, lol.

I chose the name Mary semi-randomly. I wanted to pick a name that sounded like a stereotypical white bread office secretary's name. "Katherine." "Karen." "Debra." "Diane." It's just the one I ended up rollin' with. Plus I think there already is a Karen!
    Last edited by Plasmatik; 06-30-2019 at 07:24 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you purposefully made your synthetic break it's programming in order to create a better story?
    Synthetic Senator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "As a secretarial synth, Mary is incapable of rudeness and is designed to interact well with humans."

Isn't every Synth supposed to act like that?

2- You're in a tough situation, Yautjas managed to capture you and you noticed that you're able to understand then OOCly, what would you do?

3 - Would you change anything on your app? Why?
    Marine: Mel Kim
    Captain: Mel Kim
    Synth: Yuki
    Mentor: 12/13/2018 - 02/07/2019 -> TrialMod: 02/07/2019 - 02/22/2019-> Moderator: 02/22/2019 - 01/xx/2020

Ex-term 3 synthetic councillor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakkkk View Post
    So you purposefully made your synthetic break it's programming in order to create a better story?
    It's kind of a joke about her being programmed to remove trespassers, and since the entire ship is off-limits to them, only space is unrestricted! I do understand how to behave in-character in the game, and that that would be an IC violation. It would be easy enough to go back and edit the ending so she hands the CLF over to Ross, if you'd like. Indeed, I just thought it made for better reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedroca2lucas View Post
    "As a secretarial synth, Mary is incapable of rudeness and is designed to interact well with humans."

Isn't every Synth supposed to act like that?
    From my understanding, synths in the Aliens universe are usually in somewhat less servile roles. From the Aliens wiki,

"Some recent studies have suggested that androids play an important role within small infantry units, both as an impassive neutral party, and as a maternal/paternal influence in nurturing and sustaining the group dynamic at optimum efficiency"

Mary is more subservient. The idea is that synthetic intelligences may make people feel cowed or daunted, so she is programmed to act a bit airheaded to make her human points of contact feel more comfortable interacting with her. She provides in the manner a maid or servant might, as opposed to, say, a group councilor. She speaks in a very plain manner and does not display her knowledge like bishop does (through exposition) but through action when circumstances call for it.

2- You're in a tough situation, Yautjas managed to capture you and you noticed that you're able to understand then OOCly, what would you do?
    I speak to them and attempt to convince the Yautjas to return me to my masters. I try to get them to tell me what they desire, and negotiate my way out of it. If they will not let me go, I will try to convince them to let me serve them in order to preserve my existence. I will attempt to run away if they opt to go for the kill.

3 - Would you change anything on your app? Why?
    I would perhaps change the ending of the story I wrote to something that reflects what would actually occur in the game. But I am uncertain about this - I think it would be less humorous and less climactic. I was under the impression the story merely needed to demonstrate competency with regards to writing and storytelling, and I wanted to make sure it was a fun read for the poor saps who were forced to slog through the whole five pages!
    Last edited by Plasmatik; 06-30-2019 at 08:09 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna have to -1 this dude.

You shot yourself in the foot with that ending, you CANNOT go against the guidelines in your story. The story is there to show you understand how a synthetic acts and how they carry out their objectives.
    Synthetic Senator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakkkk View Post
    I'm gonna have to -1 this dude.

You shot yourself in the foot with that ending, you CANNOT go against the guidelines in your story. The story is there to show you understand how a synthetic acts and how they carry out their objectives.
    I mean, is there no way I can change your mind on that? 'cause I know how to act within the guidelines and made that pretty clear by explaining exactly what was wrong with what Mary did when asked. It would only take me a couple minutes to change the ending of the story so that Mary hands the guy over to Ross.

I had read a comment from a moderator on the discord that the story component was meant to demonstrate competency at writing and storytelling and portraying a character. I didn't realize that it was supposed to represent an actual in-game situation and would have edited the ending before posting it had that been conveyed to me.
    Last edited by Plasmatik; 07-01-2019 at 12:26 AM.

CM-SS13 Vice Host
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatik View Post
    I mean, is there no way I can change your mind on that? 'cause I know how to act within the guidelines and made that pretty clear by explaining exactly what was wrong with what Mary did when asked. It would only take me a couple minutes to change the ending of the story so that Mary hands the guy over to Ross.

I had read a comment from a moderator on the discord that the story component was meant to demonstrate competency at writing and storytelling and portraying a character. I didn't realize that it was supposed to represent an actual in-game situation and would have edited the ending before posting it had that been conveyed to me.
    It doesn�t need to be an ingame situation, but it does need to show you know what you�re doing and that you can be trusted to play as a Synthetic. Going against guidelines, which would be violation of programming and therefore impossible, isn�t good.
    Charles & Arthur Edwinson
    Synth Percival | Artyom
    Yautja Kjhute Luar-ke

Record:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Discord: forest2001#2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by forest2001 View Post
    It doesn�t need to be an ingame situation, but it does need to show you know what you�re doing and that you can be trusted to play as a Synthetic. Going against guidelines, which would be violation of programming and therefore impossible, isn�t good.
    I already made it clear that I understand the guidelines. I stated multiple times what was wrong with her behavior and how she should act IC. Please read my posts in this thread. If I didn't understand the guidelines, I could not have answered the question, "what did Mary do wrong?"

In the story, she didn't violate her programming per se, it was just written humorously with Mary following her orders in a very literal and extreme way because I thought it was funny. I know that the character can't kill someone after subduing them in the actual game.

Misunderstanding part of the application process does not mean I don't know the rules or how to follow them.
    Last edited by Plasmatik; 07-01-2019 at 01:42 PM.