Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HvH Event - Strategic CO Conference - 6/30/2019

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HvH Event - Strategic CO Conference - 6/30/2019

Course of actual event:
    1. 10+ (glorious) COs head to what was formerly the Nexus Kitchen but became this amazing thing:
    ColonialMarinesALPHA 2019-06-30 192706.jpg

2. 3 Honor Guard get deployed (Veteran MPs in essence) to guard the meeting room.

3. Some time later, marines get deployed to act as security planetside, and like normal spread like a liquid up to the caves.

4. Joint Declaration of War by UPP/CLF versus USCM, along with ~30 CLF charging out of one cave chokepoint, presumably as a distraction. Five UPP are also sent, likely to actually attack/capture the COs. These thirty CLF get killed rather quickly, and the UPP get bogged down since there's only 3 exits for the western caves and the marines are watching all of them.

5. Marine-CLF struggle continues. Marines push the CLF back to the admin-made single chokepoint, where it becomes a stalemate with the exception of CLF suicide bombers. The marine tank, being uncontested, pushes up and nearly pushes CLF back to their spawn ladder. CLF waves are spawned in until marines are pushed back away from the single chokepoint. Marines begin to lose numbers when a UPP tank appears, armed with a minigun for mowing down the marine tank. Marine tank is repairing so UPP tank pushes into Nexus, retreating once to repair.

6. More waves of CLF/UPP get spawned to push back marines. Sniper spec and other marines with scopes outrange CLF, killing many. A single UPP breaks into the meeting room, wounding at least a few admirals. Marines eventually get pushed off planet, where ~15 minutes pass to allow medbay to work and marines to rest.

7. UPP head up on the Alamo, crashing into the Almayer. Absolute slugfesh occurs with even more UPP reinforcements being called in. Eventually a CO heads to a rescue ship and survives, with the Almayer SDing right after.

With the timeline done, let's move onto constructive criticism. I'm mostly doing this for people who didn't give Grimreaper their opinions on this event if they weren't in deadchat, those epic gamers. Say what you think could be better, and keep in mind that the UPP/CLF weapons may be tweaks, given the whole armor update and all.C
    Last edited by Justicer3792; 07-01-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unlimited spawns are bad. CLF should be ordered to perform gueriella tactics instead to try face marines head on.

Another note is that CLF/UPP/PMC/Freelance armor was never adjusted to the new changes, so their armor is paper thin in comparsion to superior Heavy Armor. I bet even Death Squad Ape Suit is bad as no one even bothers to acknowledge this.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could use some more feedback on this.

I should warn you, that was my first major event.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You prevented the marines from reinforcing by removing the dropship consols.

This meant that late joiners like me had nothing to do for the vast majority of the round. It also TOTALLY fucked all of medical and all the POS.

Without a dropship medical was not able to get a single patient for the majority of the round, further, marines on the ground that lost limbs/etc. had to spend the whole round without replacements. POs couldnt do their jobs. Medievacs couldnt happen. Ship staff had nothing to do.

Essentially people that are usually key staff were excluded from participating, without warning, and it was a bummer.

My experience was... waiting on the almayer for 30minutes.. riding the dropship down (finally) then immediately being ordered to evac, saving a marine while riding up. Sitting in medical waiting for the next phase, getting hit by the UPP dropship and executed.

I guess next time... turn off the PO role, make only mods POs, remove the consols, except the cockpit, then just do medical flybys for evac or something.

Or control the spawns, splitting some into UPP and some into Marines so that we dont have to sit and wait.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoyed it as a CO even if I was half in and out a lot of the round, got to escape with some admirals and a few other CO's at the end of the round as UPP closed in.

Good work Bancrose

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How jealous I am right now

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed as the Honor Guard Squad Leader, but we need on the custom event text to be very clear: DO NOT TAKE THE ENEMY CLOTHING! I lost count of how many times the CO and Admirals were bombed because i couldn't see it coming because of the clothing.

Also, Unlimited Spawns for enemies and Crippled deployment for marines is a way to snowflake the Opfor, unless it was intended, a better choice would be a ladder spawn if you did not want the dropships making CAS, OR delete the fabricators and spawn only Sentry deployments modules in order to alamo self defend.

Also, I felt VERY op with a smartgun, i killed 5 to 8 Upp with Smartgun burstfire, maybe spawn the Honor guards with less protection and only a sidearm? like US Honor Guards from Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
    Last edited by Hunk1; 07-01-2019 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Additional info
    and i returned, and left. and returned again 19/06/2022, this is my life now.

Former Moderator Trainer. If you have any questions regarding Moderation Duties, feel free to DM me: Hunk1#9842

A bigger truth has never been spoken.

Props to nanu for the picture.

My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still incredibly disappointed in how the admins allowed Dchat for an entire hour believe it was going to be a stealth mission and never once stopped for 10 seconds to inform Dchat that it was instead going to be a wave style shitfest that most HvHs are.

Beyond that is the incredible difference between the kinds of equipment the CLF/UPP have versus the Marines. Lets not forget that marines can just kill a UPP commando since their armor aint anything special and then allow the marines to use Chameleon projectors and Type-7 Commando Goggles.

And above all, Remove scopes from HvH they are incredibly powerful.

Edit: I get not telling people how the event is going to go down but please do not allow people to come to the wrong conclusion about an event and start making extensive plans on how to carry something out.
    Last edited by Stealth121; 07-01-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always complain about how HvH sucks and how the same mistakes in these events keep happening, but I've never really went in detail about it. So here's my opinion on this particular event

1 - Premise

The premise was dumb. The Almayer, a patrol ship, is called to a deserted colony to have a CO council. CLF and UPP are spawned at the other side of the river without much explanation, lots of things are locked by High Command magic. It was basically a deathmatch round, which I would expect to see in a 7 pop server, not in a server where people have to write backstories to play as captain

2 - Combat

As always, event runners seem to forget that all balance is done with xenos in mind; things like sniper flak, IFF, the tank and other shit are basic combat in a XvH round, but against CLF/UPP it's ridiculous. This leads to marines easily taking over the enemy, which forces admins to wave-spawn more and more baddies.

Of course, it's not an admin fault entirely. We lack tools to make events more unique, specially to mass-modify things

3 - Map

Along with combat, this is what matters most for HvH events. As usual, the map additions focused only on the CO council which only a few players could enjoy, while Transport, the enemy base and other things were mostly untouched. Again, we do lack tools for fast map alterations.

Also, I don't get why LV keeps being used. It's literally the most XvH map: one side has the jungle and caves and the other has the colony buildings; even more, it has barely any barriers (not counting the fog). Next time use Trijent or Ice, at least those are already designed to slow things down.

4 - CLF (Combat 2.1)

The CLF are horrible antagonists. They're not designed to be a horde. They're raiders, pirates, but not an army. They die easily, they have shitty guns, etcetera. They're such a non-existant threat by their own that admins need to spawn them constantly and give marines crutches.

Try using mercs or UPP; or add a new type of CLF fighter that isn't shit.

5 - (no) Lighting

Nuff said

6 - THE PREMADE ENEMY BASE IN ADMINLAND WASN'T USED

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHH

7 - Waiting

I know it takes a while for events to be set up, but it's still boring. Perhaps spawn the bad guys early in some secluded location where they can at least do something. Plus, you get time to brief them and let them plan, which for some reason is always left for last in every fuckin' event

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolosopher View Post
    I always complain about how HvH sucks and how the same mistakes in these events keep happening, but I've never really went in detail about it. So here's my opinion on this particular event

1 - Premise

The premise was dumb. The Almayer, a patrol ship, is called to a deserted colony to have a CO council. CLF and UPP are spawned at the other side of the river without much explanation, lots of things are locked by High Command magic. It was basically a deathmatch round, which I would expect to see in a 7 pop server, not in a server where people have to write backstories to play as captain

2 - Combat

As always, event runners seem to forget that all balance is done with xenos in mind; things like sniper flak, IFF, the tank and other shit are basic combat in a XvH round, but against CLF/UPP it's ridiculous. This leads to marines easily taking over the enemy, which forces admins to wave-spawn more and more baddies.

Of course, it's not an admin fault entirely. We lack tools to make events more unique, specially to mass-modify things

3 - Map

Along with combat, this is what matters most for HvH events. As usual, the map additions focused only on the CO council which only a few players could enjoy, while Transport, the enemy base and other things were mostly untouched. Again, we do lack tools for fast map alterations.

Also, I don't get why LV keeps being used. It's literally the most XvH map: one side has the jungle and caves and the other has the colony buildings; even more, it has barely any barriers (not counting the fog). Next time use Trijent or Ice, at least those are already designed to slow things down.

4 - CLF (Combat 2.1)

The CLF are horrible antagonists. They're not designed to be a horde. They're raiders, pirates, but not an army. They die easily, they have shitty guns, etcetera. They're such a non-existant threat by their own that admins need to spawn them constantly and give marines crutches.

Try using mercs or UPP; or add a new type of CLF fighter that isn't shit.

5 - (no) Lighting

Nuff said

6 - THE PREMADE ENEMY BASE IN ADMINLAND WASN'T USED

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHH

7 - Waiting

I know it takes a while for events to be set up, but it's still boring. Perhaps spawn the bad guys early in some secluded location where they can at least do something. Plus, you get time to brief them and let them plan, which for some reason is always left for last in every fuckin' event
    Full of negativity