Byond ID?
    Finefire984

CM Character?
    Michael Carrio

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    Central Time

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    21 hours

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    Yes, I was a moderator on this server back in the day.

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    No

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made
    Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    Nope

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    Yeah, it was a while back... I think it had something to do with xenos, but I don't remember.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    Probably... I don't remember exactly though.

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Yes

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    First I would check notes of the player, then I would ahelp asking why he did it. If it was simply a misclick and he has no other notes for grief, then I'll let it go as a IC issue. If he has previous notes for it, then I'll look further into the scenario. If he's a known greifer and it was blatant greif, then I will give him a 7 day ban and request a perma ban.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    I'll tell the player to get as much evidence that he can so he can make a report on the forums after the round ends. There isn't much mods can do about whitelists.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    I'd let the mentors know so they can have fun. If there aren't and mentors on, then I'll request some from slack and help the player out if it's not busy.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    Is he randomly sending ahelps or is this while I'm already dealing with him in a situation? If it's option "A", then i'll mute his ahelps and make a note. If this is option "B", then I don't see a problem giving him to a higher up if they aren't busy.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    I'll check John Doe's notes for other notes of it, if there aren't any, then i'll just tell the guy to change his name after the round and ask an admin to change it in the mean time. If he has mutliple notes for it and it's obvious he doesn't care about the rule, then I'll probably give him a 3 hr ban. This isn't that big of a deal though, so it'll need to be really bad to go into bans. Add notes as necessary.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    Ahelp the player and ask why he's doing what he's doing. While I'm talking to him I'll check his notes for his history. Usually when I saw this, the player is new, so I'd hand him over to a mentor and possible ask a admin to turn him into a squad marine if he's new enough. If this is a common occurrence with this player, then I might apply a ban. Add notes as necessary.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    I don't see a problem with this. ICly the survivors don't know anything about the marines, so it's their right to take them as hostile. Now, if the survivor was on the ship, then this would end up being handled as greif.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    I'd ahelp the MP asking why the player is in perma. Saying that the marine did more like kill someone (Which i would know ahead of time anyway) then I'd be fine with the perma... it would then turn into an entirely new scenario. If it ends up being as the marine said, then I'd tell the MP to set the marine free ans check the notes. If this is the first time this has happened, then i'll note him and have it go as a warning. If this has happened before, then I'd move it to a MP job ban.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    This is where I can have a little fun. I'd probably subtle message the commander something like "You feel as if the enemies are weak and can't fight back an invasion."

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    I'd try to deal with the situation ICly to see if it was really on purpose. If not, then I'll tell him to stop treating patients and watch me so he can learn how to use medicine. I might even send him a link to the medicine wiki via LOOC. If this is clearly on purpose, then I'll ahelp him to find out why he's doing it. I'll then check his notes to see if he has prior history of this occurrence and will warn him and tell him to stop if he has no history and will job ban if he does have history.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    This is an IC issue... CLF are still hostiles whether the round is over or not.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    Depending on how bad it is, I'll either sleep the marine or have the MPs deal with it. I'll also ahelp the player to see why he was doing this. If it's a new player, then I'll warn him and give him to a mentor, If he has history, then i might give a 3 hr ban first, and move up the list until a perma ban if it's really bad.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Check notes, if there is not history, then I'll warn him and note. If he has history, then I'll treat it as the situation above.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    Sleep the mutineers and ask why they're mutinying. Ask them if they're aware of the proper mutiny protocols. If they have not history, then I'll warn them all, tell them to stop, and try to let the situation resolve itself ICly. If someone has history, then I'll treat it as greif.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    I'll tell the player that they need to be aware that these actions are expected in this community. If it's really bad, then I might subtle message someone to try to get them to stop, but rules aren't really broken here.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    7 day ban and perma ban request. Heal the marines that were injured and try to get them to continue like nothing happened.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Ahelp the player and see if they have history, if they don't, then give them a warning and note. If they do, then I'll xeno job ban.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    Ahelp the player and tell him to stop. Check notes, if no history, then warn. If this is a common problem and it's really bad, then I might xeno job ban.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    I'll kindly tell the player to deal with it. This doesn't break any rules.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    I'll remind the Command player that marines don't know anything about the situation planetside. If he has no notes about it, then leave it as a warning. If he has a lot of history, then I might give a 3 hr ban.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    Are all of the other pods gone or full? If not and he isn't blocked to them, then I might warn the player about it. If it is the case, then I'll let it go as an IC issue.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    I'll let him rant, he has a right to rant about it.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    I'll tell the player that this is an IC issue and that he shouldn't have went SSD.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    I'll tell the staff member about the mistake and inform him about the right information, or way to handle it. I'll then have him fix the problem, or fix the problem for him if he gets overwhelmed.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    I'll give my input into the situation and then ask about it in slack to see what higher ups rule it.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    I'll probably sound like a broken record, but I became and want to again become a moderator because I like the server and community. Sadly, due to the stress of junior year, I had to stop playing and leave staff.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Patience is a really good quality and you shouldn't get upset easily. I think you should mostly be able to see the overall results of a situation though. Bans aren't usually the answer to most situations and sometimes the scenario makes the RP better and would be fine being left alone.

Anything else you
    I know that this server has changed massively since I left about a year ago, and most of the staff now don't know me or how I was as a staff member. I also know that my activity isn't the best, but I'm slowly getting back into the game after Junior year. I'm mainly making this application now because of what I'm hearing about the need for moderators.

Manager Emeritus & System Administrator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, so, I'll go over my issues with the questions at the end of this post. I have some concerns with the fact you only started playing CM again about 4 days ago, but since you were a former Moderator I think a lot of this can be overlooked.

First of all, the random shooting bit is a bit unclear, so I'd like to rephrase it. A player randomly shoots someone once at round start and MPs have detained him. What do you do?

For whitelists, we're expected to investigate the situation regardless, although we do not apply any type of punishment unless it's clear grief (such as a Predator teleporting to the Almayer and murdering everyone in their path).

Mentors have been removed, so the duty of helping people now falls to us as well.

You don't need to pass an ahelp on to someone else unless you personally feel it warrants it. If you marked the ahelp, you're the one responsible for it.

The MT question is a purely IC issue. A ban would be inappropriate.

You really need to investigate the survivor situation more, it's not one that can be safely resolved just based on claims from people alone.

The medic question is a situation you are involved in, and as such, should not handle yourself unless you ABSOLUTELY must, as in, no other staff are available, and you are unable to get any to join the server.

The mutiny question is also a bit off, they've not actually broken any rules yet, and it would be inappropriate to take action against them.

The racist comments could be a Rule 3 violation, and a judgement call is needed.

Unfortunately, I feel like you're still really rusty about how things are done. I wasn't here a year ago, so all of these might be entirely correct how it used to be, but right now, there is a lot of issues with this application which make me feel like it might be best to wait and re-learn how things are done.
    TrialModerator from 12/15/2018 to 12/29/2018
    Moderator from 12/29/2018 to 6/29/2019
    TrialAdmin from 6/29/2019 to 7/29/2019
    Admin from 7/29/2019 to 6/17/2021
    Manager from 6/17/2021 to ???
    ManagerEmeritus from ??? to ???

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Seeing as you were a former mod and how your answers are, i will agree with grimreaper, you're rusty at the moment. Take your time to read up the most recent accepted apps and learn up how we are dealing with stuff now.
    and i returned, and left. and returned again 19/06/2022, this is my life now.

Former Moderator Trainer. If you have any questions regarding Moderation Duties, feel free to DM me: Hunk1#9842

A bigger truth has never been spoken.

Props to nanu for the picture.

My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You rejoined the team the first time when I joined
    It's been almost a year, I don't have an issue with former staff coming back, but I think you should get your playtime back up before reapplying just to show us you want to do this again.

How come you disappeared the last time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimreaperx15 View Post
    Alright, so, I'll go over my issues with the questions at the end of this post. I have some concerns with the fact you only started playing CM again about 4 days ago, but since you were a former Moderator I think a lot of this can be overlooked.

First of all, the random shooting bit is a bit unclear, so I'd like to rephrase it. A player randomly shoots someone once at round start and MPs have detained him. What do you do?

For whitelists, we're expected to investigate the situation regardless, although we do not apply any type of punishment unless it's clear grief (such as a Predator teleporting to the Almayer and murdering everyone in their path).

Mentors have been removed, so the duty of helping people now falls to us as well.

You don't need to pass an ahelp on to someone else unless you personally feel it warrants it. If you marked the ahelp, you're the one responsible for it.

The MT question is a purely IC issue. A ban would be inappropriate.

You really need to investigate the survivor situation more, it's not one that can be safely resolved just based on claims from people alone.

The medic question is a situation you are involved in, and as such, should not handle yourself unless you ABSOLUTELY must, as in, no other staff are available, and you are unable to get any to join the server.

The mutiny question is also a bit off, they've not actually broken any rules yet, and it would be inappropriate to take action against them.

The racist comments could be a Rule 3 violation, and a judgement call is needed.

Unfortunately, I feel like you're still really rusty about how things are done. I wasn't here a year ago, so all of these might be entirely correct how it used to be, but right now, there is a lot of issues with this application which make me feel like it might be best to wait and re-learn how things are done.
    1. Ok, that's an obvious misclick. I'll leave that alone.

2. This just depends on what the situation is. Naturally you'll automatically see what happens, but if it's just one marine that was killed by the predator then my situation stands. Now, say that the predator killed multiple marines then you'll get a lot more ahelps and you'll start to think about taking more action. Even then, I don't see any honor code rules against killing marines unless they're injured. That'll just need to be ruled in the forums though.

3. Mentors were removed, interesting... I;m fine with that.

4.I'm taking this as they won't cooperate with me at all. In that case I will give it to a higher up because there's no reason a mod should be stuck on a situation all round because someone won't talk. Now, say that no one else is on or they're busy then I will keep trying to get the person to cooperate.

5. I see it as a break in the RP rule. There isn't a real life reason for a MT to randomly carry a weapon and armor around in a secure vessel. Now, this doesn't eliminate the possibility of the player being new. The ban would only apply to extreme cases.

6. The rules say that if survivors are hostile, then they need to be hostile from the very beginning. The survivor saying this and acting upon it in game isn't a breach in the rules. Now, again, say that the survivor went on the alymer and did it, then there will be different action. "Survivors: Survivors have more leeway than marines with their mental stability due to the trauma they may have experienced during the xenomorph attack. They may be suffering PTSD, paranoia or similar conditions. Survivors may be hostile but must be overtly so and from the beginning. Turncoating is not allowed, if you go up to the Almayer willingly or act friendly, you waive your right to be hostile. Survivors may know the basics of xenos from observation."

7. If you consider me being directly involved in it, then I'm fine with that. I kind of see it like, for example, I'm a marine and see John Doe running around the station. I would boink him and tell him to change the name right away, I wouldn't ask for someone else to handle it in msay or make a new ahelp about it.

8. I see this as preventative action as much as enforcing the rules. I'd rather sleep and ahelp a few marines than to have the system blow up in ahelps and have multiple dead command members, marines, mps, etc. The situation planet-side would also be ruined by this. Usually when marines say they're going to kill command and prep in front of CIC, that's usually what they're going to do.

9. I agree with this, I that's what I meant to say in the application if it wasn't clear.

10. I wouldn't disagree with me being rusty, but I see it as being possible to grind off a bit of rust during the trial phase. Also, most of these situations depend on what is going on at the time. I'm probably building my own situation differently than you are. It also depends on who you're working with sometimes. Is this a new player, or is it someone that purposely tries to break the rules and it's a known problem... it all depends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    You rejoined the team the first time when I joined
    It's been almost a year, I don't have an issue with former staff coming back, but I think you should get your playtime back up before reapplying just to show us you want to do this again.

How come you disappeared the last time?
    I'm okay with building up my activity a little more before hand, I've just been hearing about how y'all need more moderators.
    I left last time because of school, I've gotten a few new part time jobs over the year for different personal reasons, and a lot of different minor things happened. Thinking back, I should've made time to make an extended leave request, but for some reason I didn't.

CM-SS13 Vice Host
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to agree with Soldier. I look forward to seeing you in the future.
    Charles & Arthur Edwinson
    Synth Percival | Artyom
    Yautja Kjhute Luar-ke

Record:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Discord: forest2001#2001

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Application looks fine, nothing that cant be hammered out with a trial, but I need you to give me a month and a half or so of play time just to show you can keep the numbers up and then reapply.

For now, denied.