User Tag List

Thread: Preferred CAS loadouts and Fire Missions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Preferred CAS loadouts and Fire Missions

So I'm really loving playing PO lately, but concocting fire missions from scratch is a little bit tougher without an encyclopedic knowledge of the effectiveness of each weapon vs. each xeno, and what's best in what situations. I'm curious to see what PO mains and other people familiar with CAS like to do.

So what is your favorite loadout? What kind of fire missions do you like running? What patterns do you find to be the most effective?

Wiki Maintainer Emeritus Sargeantmuffinman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A specific loadout I use is two missile pods, a GAU and a mini Rocket pod.
    The only reason I'd use it is because it uses all of the ammunition.

Fire missions for me would typically be all zeros with a GAU+mini rocket combo. I'd expend half of the ammunition meaning I'd only be able to have about two runs before needing to reload.

Two other fire missions would house basically everything for one of them and a precision missile strike for the latter.

The first one with everything on it would first start off with a HE missile to stun targets and the GAU+Mini combo. And in the middle of the GAU+Mini combo would be an incendiary missile to make sure what ever is there burns horribly.

The precision missile strike is literally two missiles with keepers in them to literally kill anything but that's very situational.

The reason I'd only go for zeros in the fire mission is because everyone more or less went to the Prometheus school of running away from things.
    There maybe a small deviation in the GAU and mini rockets but the fire mission is usually tight.

I'd usually go for a 10 or 12 length fire mission.

Now for the usual CAS loadout is two GAU's and two Mini rocket pods.
    This is the most versatile one as there's enough fire power in it to kill anything that isn't a queen.

It's the most effective out of all of them. The only problem is ammunition you chew through.
    George S.Patton once said: No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

Good hunting.

Staff from 16 May 2016 to 10th September 2021.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh hey its this kind of thread again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Previous thread from when I asked this question: //showthrea...pship-Loadouts
    Luca Jagemann, the cynical colonial with the prescription glasses.

Ancient Synth Williams, on another rescue mission in Brazil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dasWurmtMich View Post
    oh hey its this kind of thread again
    Jokes on you, the thread that Outcast linked had all your previous advice, which has helped a lot.

In all seriousness though, the wiki isn't especially clear on things like setting up patterns, and every guide that's linked is either horribly outdated (many of them were made before the pattern system) or just give you the basics to setting up a fire missions. I didn't see that there was a relatively recent thread, but even the paragraph that Sargeant wrote was more informative than just about any of the guides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the love of god dont laze on top of aliens. Makes it so much easier to predict and avoid strafe location and direction. Hide it behind a wall and offset it PLEASE. I hate it when people laze on top of a fat target only for them to see it and run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i find the marines leaping out the sides of the craft upon atmospheric reentry to be very effective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want some objective truth.
    HV GAU > Laser > regular GAU > minirockets > > > > rockets.

There is no "best" loadout I prefer, though, as all have a purpose.
    2x GAU + minirocket + rocket is the most economic option that saves you enough points that you can upgrade it later in the match.

2x GAU + 2x laser is my hands-down favourite, but I don't use it unless I recognize at least one good JTAC.