User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mizolo - Developer Application (Coder)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mizolo - Developer Application (Coder)

Developer Application
    Byond ID?
    Mizolo

Age?
    17, about to be 18 in 2 weeks (if age is a problem)

Gender?
    Male

How would you define yourself? (Coder, Mapper, Spriter):
    Coder

If Coder, what languages?
    Amateur and basic knowledge of C#, C++, Java, and Python

Any previous experience developing with SS13?
    Sort of, but only just tinkering around.

Proof of any previous or current work:
    I ... don't really have any previous 'work' or things I've worked on.

How well do you know Git?
    Unfamiliar with Git

Your primary job is server development, not policing the server. You may be given Moderator-level of access but you should *not* be invoking any administrative actions unless there are no moderators or Admins online. Do you understand?
    Yes

Anything else you'd like to add?
    I would like to add that I am applying for developer for a couple of reasons:

Main Reason: I want to learn MORE about code/coding. This would make me learn it in a fun(er) way. This also kind of feeds into one of my secondary reasons.

Secondary Reason(s):
    I ... kinda want to make my own server for SS13 that's completely unique ... but I have no experience of; file trees, global calculations using local vars, etc.

Another reason I would like to become developer is to help shape colonial marines into an even better game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mizolo:

First of all, I see that you have provided no portfolio or other proof of coding experience. Bearing in mind that programming competency and basic DM language knowledge is essential to being successful as a CM developer, could you code and provide to the CM Dev team a small feature coded in either leaked or TGMC code? See previous accepted applications for some idea of what might be appropriate here.

With that in mind, here are some general questions to answer while we consider your application.

First, what is the largest current issue with game balance and why? How would you fix it?
    Second, would you prefer to focus primarily on frontend, feature-focused development or backend, refactor-based development?
    Third, what is one Xeno strain you would like to add to the game?
    Fourth, what is one quality of life (QOL) improvement that you think the game could use?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot provide proof of coding experience ... as ... I ... sort of have none outside of school and workbook stuff.

I will provide a small feature coded in TGMC code soon.

Game balance question answer:
    First off, it needs to be plainly spoken what the desired goal/ratio should be, and what the balance between fun, balance, realism, and RP needs to be.
    Personally, I think it needs to perhaps throw out a biiit of realism, and throw in some more balance and fun, and RP should perhaps stay the same.

Focus priority answer:
    I ... am not experienced enough in coding to answer that. I would like to work on ... virtually anything.

Xeno Strain addition answer:
    Drone: Armorer. Trades it's life force to add armor

QOL answer:
    SL ability to designate or 'mark' way points where he's at, and label them. The marines, in turn, could 'select' which beacon to follow, and follow it.
    Is an Ambidexterous marine and xeno main.

Anekcahap "Kneecap" Volkov
    Agent X41833N

"Some of the best words are never said, but are rather understood."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bearing in mind that Xenomorph strains are meant to offer a different playstyle to the base strain of a caste, how would trading health for armor offer a different playstyle to the Drone?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizolo View Post
    I cannot provide proof of coding experience ... as ... I ... sort of have none outside of school and workbook stuff.

I will provide a small feature coded in TGMC code soon.

Game balance question answer:
    First off, it needs to be plainly spoken what the desired goal/ratio should be, and what the balance between fun, balance, realism, and RP needs to be.
    Personally, I think it needs to perhaps throw out a biiit of realism, and throw in some more balance and fun, and RP should perhaps stay the same.

Focus priority answer:
    I ... am not experienced enough in coding to answer that. I would like to work on ... virtually anything.

Xeno Strain addition answer:
    Drone: Armorer. Trades it's life force to add armor

QOL answer:
    SL ability to designate or 'mark' way points where he's at, and label them. The marines, in turn, could 'select' which beacon to follow, and follow it.
    I would ask if you can be a bit specific in what you want to do.
    There must be something you want to change. And I would love to hear your reasoning behind it.

How to become senior dev.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mizolo,

We would like you to reply in this topic to at least cakey's and my own post.
    Otherwise during our next dev meeting we will move this app to denied based upon a lack of response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Game balance question answer (same):
    Personally, I think it needs to perhaps throw OUT a biiit of realism, and throw IN some more balance and fun, and RP should perhaps stay the same.

Focus priority answer (revised):
    I would like to primarily focus on new things, so front-end, feature-focused.

Xeno Strain addition answer (revised):
    Crusher strain; Rancor
    Crusher loses the ability to charge.
    Retains the ability to stomp.
    Gains ability to fling with GREAT damage.
    Increase base slash damage.
    Slightly increase base speed.
    (If you don't know what a rancor is, it's basically a star wars monster that's ... kinda like the crusher actually)

QOL answer (same):
    SL ability to designate or 'mark' way points where to go, and label them. The marines, in turn, could 'select' which beacon to follow, and follow it.

I should probably note that I am inexperienced with BYOND coding, and want to do this more as an opportunity to learn how to do coding through experience rather than just sitting on my ass and doing drills. Mainly because IMO, experience usually tramples over skill.

Agent X41833N

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

We have put all apps on hold until we have a new head dev.
    Apologies for the delay.

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Mizolo. I will be handling dev apps for the time being.

I don't see how I can accept you without any experience in coding for DM, although C# knowledge can be useful.

I'd say we have two options from here:
    1) We close this app and you reapply after 3 months when you have at least 2 pull requests or good pieces of code you can show us.
    or
    2) You have 2 weeks to create a pull request for a SS13 server. It doesn't have to get accepted, but it has to be useful and interesting.

Your choice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll take option 1

Agent X41833N