Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don - Commander Application

Commander Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    DonCarrot

Player Name You Use Most?
    Mia Davis

Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals, including whitelist and staff apps, within the last year. Also, provide "Ban reason; Verdict" beside each (job)ban link
    None

Have you received any ban within the last month? How long was it and what for?
    None

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew? Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?
    In my opinion, Battlefield Executions should be used as a last resort against actions that may significantly disrupt the flow of the round. One example would be a marine shooting up medbay for some petty reason. Stunts such as this one would most likely result in an execution but sometimes MPs are not present and the situation must be resolved as soon as possible.

How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate Req, Engineering, MP, or Command Staff
    Captain Mia Davis likes when things are running smoothly. While she understands the importance of delegating and letting other people do their jobs, she has a tendency to micromanage in certain situations. If a critical task must be performed immediately and the person responsible for it proves incompetent, she will often do it herself. An example would be Engineering not setting up the power correctly, or an SO who is unable to properly relay orders to a squad. This can also be handled by delegating the Executive Officer, if they seem capable.

As far as insubordination goes, it�s important to understand the cause of it. A lot of problems can be solved simply by talking to people and trying to find a middle ground. COs can be great mediators due to their rank and status. And if everything else fails, there�s always the Military Police.

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    The job of a Commander is to provide guidance to the entire marine force. This includes relaying information, handling logistics, coordinating squads and providing everyone with a general strategy that they can follow. In short, a Commander is the most well-informed person on the Almayer and should use that to ensure a victory to the best of their ability.

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?
    Two things: the ability to view helmet cams without clashing with SOs and the ability to see the messages sent via Overwatch consoles. Other than that I think the role is in a good state.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    I have played XO for quite a while. I understand how the round flows and I know what I�m supposed to be doing, even when there aren�t any pressing matters. I also played a lot of Squad Marine and an acceptable amount of every shipside department, so I know how they interact and what they need from each other to be able to function properly. I want to be whitelisted because I like being in charge. Seeing how your actions affect the round may be daunting to some but for me it�s fun, even if I make a mistake and have to take responsibility. And I think I have what it takes to play the role properly.

Your story (potential topics listed below)
    �Ma�am?�

Captain Mia Davis sighed. Most lieutenants weren�t known for being particularly bright but this one�.

�What is it?�

�I�m setting up that OB you mentioned earlier but the computer won�t give me a firing solution. Just errors after errors.�

�Let me take a look. Hmm� You confused longitude with latitude.�

�Oh.�

Davis retreated to her command bubble. This was supposed to be a simple operation. Intel managed to track some CLF forces trying to infiltrate a W-Y colony, Almayer was the closest available vessel. In theory, they should be able to destroy all resistance before the enemy even realized they were under attack.

At least, that�s what she was hoping for.

The situation was pretty simple. Local CLF forces, in their infinite wisdom, decided to set up their planetary headquarters in an abandoned industrial district, marked for demolition. Because of this, marines didn�t have to worry about collateral damage and could bomb the rebels as much as they pleased. The main bulk of hostile forces was located in the administration complex, one large office building and a few smaller ones. Alpha and Bravo were currently trying to capture the surrounding factory buildings, in order to gain vantage points before assaulting the main stronghold. The resistance was larger than expected but it didn�t matter, the rebels were already pulling back.

Davis moved her eyes away from the tacmap and focused on the CIC�s comms chatter instead.

�Supply drop incoming on Alpha coordinates now, confirm upon landing.�

She thought requisitions would be crippled after RO�s grenade mishap but the executive officer proved to be a sufficient replacement. Maybe he should receive a commendation�

�Goliath-1 docking in Bay 2 in 30 seconds, prepare for rearming and refueling procedures.�

�Any good hits on the last run?�

�Negative ma�am, they targeted the wrong building.�

�Amazing.�

Well, it was time to enter stage 2 of the operation. Charlie and Delta just departed from the Almayer. They were going to land after the OB and clear out anyone still alive in the rubble.

�Lieutenant. Is it ready?�

�OB ready ma�am.�

�Fire.�

Davis braced for the inevitable shaking that accompanied every launch from the biggest gun in the battalion.

It never came.

�Uh�ma�am?�

�What?�

�They forgot to chamber it.�

The entire CIC staff looked in disbelief as their captain jumped out of her chair and bolted towards the weapons room.

�This is Lieutenant Sandford. OB incoming on the main building. Stay out of danger close!�

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a lot of respect for this player. They play the role with other people in mind first. They do not selfishly run off to RP some shitty story arc and leave a bunch of people in the dark. If a spec needs ammo they wont sit in CIC and spam :u "plz rockets" they will actaully just go and get it themselves. They know the game, they have empathy and the app is literate. I trust any CO round with this player will run as smoothly as a CM round is able to.

+1
    Last edited by Imheretohelp; 07-21-2019 at 09:44 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That all, +1 have a good time.

On a serious note, one of my favorite peeps to come across ingame and out. So maybe just a tad bit bias. Regardless, they�re reliable, multitask and communicate well. Even outside of Command, they�re RP is done proper so I have no doubt in my mind that you�re ready for the role of CO. No questions needed for you to answer because I already aware how you handle things especially under my command.

Good luck, Commander Mia Davis. *salute

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen you around a few times and, while I can't remember specifics right now, I think you were a decent XO. To make this fair, though, I'll ask you a few questions on various situations not exactly covered by the application.

Situation 1
    The POs are currently fighting over CASEVAC duty. Three are currently awake: one is a rookie, the second is a well-known pilot that focuses heavily on CAS and fire missions, while the third is a respected pilot that puts more effort into Medevac duties. Due to their heated argument, you have to intervene. The questions are as follows:
    1A: What are the foreseeable implications of assigning each PO or PO combination (both respected, one respected and the rookie) to CASEVAC duty?
    1B: Which assignment is most practical for the average operation? What are the advantages and disadvantages of this choice?

Situation 2
    More of a single question. DEFCON 2 is reached and the tank got itself completely destroyed. The CASEVAC POs are putting in a lot of work and two squads are fighting hard, while another is low on manpower. How would you allocate the gained DEFCON points and why?

Situation 3
    Medical/Science issues:
    3A: A doctor has asked the CMO for permission to deploy for field surgery while the Marines are fighting far from the FOB. What steps can be taken to determine if it's not only safe, but practical to allow the doctor to deploy?
    3B: an SO informs you that a crabbed Marine has been taken to research containment and is no longer responding to comms or you get reports that research has grown an Alien in containment without your knowledge or approval. What would you do to handle the situation?
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't usually micromanage POs but I think rookie + CAS guy on CASEVAC and medevac guy on transit is the most optimal combination. Two people can easily handle CASEVAC from my experience, and putting the medevac guy alone on transit ensures that he won't mess up evac (which the rookie most likely would). Any other combination is just less optimal.

Assuming the tank is recoverable and the TCs are alive, getting tank points is usually the best choice. If it's not recoverable (or if the TCs are unusually bald), then it depends on what I used my points on previously. Cryo reinforcements are generally the best but I usually use both before we reach Defcon 2 (or we're winning so hard that I still have points from Defcon 3 and 4). So assuming these two things are not a choice, I would just spend points on req, dropships and OBs. The only place where I would maybe prioritize DS points is Prison.

3A
    Safety isn't really a concern here in my opinion, if marines are pushing far and hard then aliens don't have the numbers to properly flank the FOB and even if they do, they'll have to get through at least 2 layers of cades, sentries and a few marines. This would give the doctor plenty of time to escape and hide.
    As for practicality, I'm not sure. If there's enough doctors on the ship, deploying one doesn't really hurt their operations in any way. One exception would be a synth already doing planetside surgery.

3B
    I generally let CMOs and researchers grow aliens in containment since they get something to do (though I'd rather they told me about it beforehand).
    As for the crabbed marine, I would send someone (XO+MPs) to check on him or go myself. Locking an infected player in research is a major crime at the very least and would require appropriate punishment. There may even be grounds for a BE but I wouldn't jump to it.

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough with the answers, nothing negative I can say, +1 from me and good luck.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm supporting Mia as I've seen them often on the battlefield and showed the impressive skills on combat. Not only that, they have excellent RP skills. Just before giving the +1, I'll provide a few scenarios that happened a few times - and the questions will be the shipside issues, not a combat tactic problems.

1. Combat situation on the ground is flowing poorly. Marines have fallen back to the FoB after the multiple failures of the push. However, few OB call or/and CAS, along with capable lead and the force of the tank will change this situation.
    But then, you hear the voice on the common channel and the MP channel. It's a PFC that is complaining about the CMP's action, claiming they violated the SoP on the arrest and detain procedure. However, the CMP is claiming the PFC has been a troublemaker by stealing stuff in the medical bay and resisted arrest, eventually put them in the permanent brig.
    As this PFC attempted to escape the brig before, NJP and pardons are unavailable. How will you handle this situation?
    You have a total of capable 2 SOs and the XO on the CIC, along with a synth. CMP is the only MP force, and you can see the CMP isn't skillful and entirely new to the MP work.

2. In the middle of the mission, the CIC power, and both Telecommunications power has failed. It's an engine failure as the only MT wandered off to the FoB without authorization. However, as the squad Engineers are doing very poorly, you also need this MT's hand on the FoB too. You are very sure the FoB will not going to hold much longer if this MT is gone, but so does the power on the ship. How will you handle this situation? There is no Synth on board, along with the MP to arrest the MT.

Not necessary to answer the question however, you can pass over as I'm just a week-year old captain.
    Last edited by Yuliy; 07-23-2019 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Grammar adjustment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that PFC sealed his fate by attempting to escape so there's nothing I can do to help him. As for the CMP, I would investigate his actions so far to check what exactly he's been doing. If he did actually break marine law, I would either fax HC (if I have time) or ahelp it (if I don't). And if I needed someone to enforce ML, I would use either the synth or the XO, or maybe I would just do it myself. Depends on the situation.

I'd just fix the power myself, it only takes like 5 minutes. And I often check on power before or after briefing so this situation propably wouldn't occur in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Well that PFC sealed his fate by attempting to escape so there's nothing I can do to help him. As for the CMP, I would investigate his actions so far to check what exactly he's been doing. If he did actually break marine law, I would either fax HC (if I have time) or ahelp it (if I don't). And if I needed someone to enforce ML, I would use either the synth or the XO, or maybe I would just do it myself. Depends on the situation.

I'd just fix the power myself, it only takes like 5 minutes. And I often check on power before or after briefing so this situation propably wouldn't occur in the first place.
    Answer 1 seems good, but on Answer 2 - If possible, can you be a bit more specific; How are you going to deal with the MT themselves? Should they leave the FoB and head to the ship for the punishment, or not? Will there any method on the ML to get the MT issue handled?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That MT could be ordered to return to the ship and charged with Neglect of Duty, but I think that's just not worth it. If the FOB needs him and he's already there, it would be pointless to call him back up, brig and maybe pardon him, then send him back. It's just a waste of time for all parties involved. And if he refused to go back, I could technically send MPs after him but planetside MPs almost always cause enormous amounts of chaos. So I'd just leave the MT be.