User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should Xenomorphs be given game play incentives to assault the Almayer

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree

30 53.57%
  • Disagree

1 1.79%
  • I am true nuetral

6 10.71%
  • Don't care

3 5.36%
  • I am a marine main who hates xeno players

16 28.57%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Incentive drive game play - e.g. carrot not the stick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Incentive drive game play - e.g. carrot not the stick

I love colonial marines, the community is great and the developers are awesome, especially with the new content the regularly put out. I especially enjoy changes to the marines, with the introduction of def-con and an 'alternative endgame involving planetary nuke.

Which is why the Xenomorph endgame always irks me a little.

Xenomorph end game is bad for the Xeno morphs. Marine game play is good for the marines, defcon makes it easier to kill xenos the longer the game goes on. Killing xenos makes it easier to control the map. Defcon can even act as a comeback or alternative win condition for marines.

Let's look at xenomorph endgame.

If Xenomorphs attack the FoB, marines retreat the Almayer. Assaulting the Almayer leads to the marines being out on a timer to win or the round is a draw. Assaulting the Almayer forces you to face ERTs. Assaulting the Almayer forces you to face marine forces on their turf.

These are REALLY good reason NOT to attack the Almayer until you are at full strength. However, this takes time, no one wants to wait for Tier 3 xenos to reach Ancient, so admins force xenos to go up.

In other words Xenomorphs don't have an incentive to attack the Almayer, whilst marines are rewarded for remaining planet side and retreating.

I believe admins forcing Xenomorphs to attack the Almayer should never happen, Xenomorphs should be rewarded for moving the game forward.

Marines are not forced to leave FoBs, Xenomorphs should not be forced to leave the planet, game play should make them want to carry out these actions.

T;,dr:Give Xenomorphs an incentive to attack the Almayer and to a lesser extent, to do whatever it is the devs think we should be doing.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unfortunately they took out the win message at the end of the round because xenos get a minor victory when they land on the almayer. Removing the win message makes marines think that its a draw or marine victory when they kill the xenos but it isnt. Its always a xeno minor unless the xenos completely wipe out the marines then its a xeno major. So really nothing on the almayer even matters cause marines have already lost.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    unfortunately they took out the win message at the end of the round because xenos get a minor victory when they land on the almayer. Removing the win message makes marines think that its a draw or marine victory when they kill the xenos but it isnt. Its always a xeno minor unless the xenos completely wipe out the marines then its a xeno major. So really nothing on the almayer even matters cause marines have already lost.
    I mean, it doesn't feel like a victory when all the xenos get wiped out on the Almayer or it goes to time. It'd be like humanity reaching the moon then dying to global warming, it was a good achievement overshadowed by a shitty end.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_bickie View Post
    I mean, it doesn't feel like a victory when all the xenos get wiped out on the Almayer or it goes to time. It'd be like humanity reaching the moon then dying to global warming, it was a good achievement overshadowed by a shitty end.
    Xenos dont give a crap though. Xenos just want to kill humans. Thats why queen mother doesnt give a shit if we all die cause we are just a small hive out of who knows how many xenos in the universe. Also if it said XENO MINOR VICTORY then most people would be satisfied and not really care.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    Xenos dont give a crap though. Xenos just want to kill humans. Thats why queen mother doesnt give a shit if we all die cause we are just a small hive out of who knows how many xenos in the universe. Also if it said XENO MINOR VICTORY then most people would be satisfied and not really care.
    I am not speaking about IC behavior though. I am speaking from the point of game design which is that players should want to complete their sides objectives, instead of it being a choir or a punishment.

And the truth is that Xenomorph endgame feels like a punishment, it rewards marines. If xenomorphs are losing there is no comeback and it's actively derided as 'delaying', often with the same result, Xenomorphs being told to suicide by admins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Chocolate, Xeno going up to the Almayer should be an option not something you are forced to do to end the round as Xeno

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_bickie View Post
    In other words Xenomorphs don't have an incentive to attack the Almayer, whilst marines are rewarded for remaining planet side and retreating.
    What rewards marines are getting for evacuating? I hope you meant a chance to be gibbed by dropship as this death is more fair, balanced and fun.

Benos have all the incentive to attack Almayer they need. They can slaughter marines in thight corridors, each broken bone, each IB and each slashed limb won't be ever treated, no CAS, no OB, no mortar, no Req supplies etc.

What kind of "incentive" it could possibly be? Making benos immortal so that they have 0 risk of dying?
    Last edited by CABAL; 08-03-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with Cabal. Also not only that but ICly Queen Mother really would like that information about xenos be kept secret and even damaging almayer so it can't navigate to the next sector without months or years of repairs is worth it.

Evacuation and gtfoing of xenos while is quick might not be worth it and may be abusable.

We will set clear victory text _soon_

As for xeno endgame being unfun... We know this... Oh boy we know this. There are some things we can do, but not right this day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gameplay-wise I think having xenos board the Almayer's pretty great since it gives an incentive for xenos to actually try and get captures instead of just saying "an isolated and vulnerable marine? YEAH KILL EM" when they're at 13 xenos left with no burrowed. After all xenos can easily force marines off the planet without ever getting any marine or even survivor captures, however due to the fact that they didn't get any captures and likely took many losses from the FOB siege, they'll probably get fucked after hijacking the dropship.
    Plus I've always liked the "xenos hijack dropship and board sulaco/almayer" thing ever since Box Station, I feel like it's generally a fun and exciting end to the round for both sides. Sure there are sometimes issues with it, like on Box Station/Sulaco where the dropship always landed in one spot and the exits would get girder spammed, but those tend to be outside issues that can be fixed and not issues with the boarding itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by NethIafins View Post
    We will set clear victory text _soon_
    I approve this message

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its a game design flaw, when there are 100 marines on the ship and 22 xenos who broke the FOB by a flank and caused an evac and admins outside the game have to intervene, because neither side has an incentive in game to go up or come down.

That intervention also makes sides salty, because it is basically either saying "Xenos you are likely going to be slaughtered by 100 marines on almayer, but go up anyway because we want to move the round along" or "Marines, there are too many of you, go down and have 30-40 of you die, then evac again, so that xenos have a better chance of winning."