Your Character Name?
    Wilhelm Welden
    Their BYOND Key
    audigzz
    Approximate time and date of the incident
    7:26 PM January 1st, 2019
    Which Staff Protocols (//showthrea...-and-Protocols) were broken
    Staff code of conduct: Remain professional
    Staff protocol #2: "Contact anyone involved and get their side of the story"
    Staff protocol #3: "Determine the seriousness of the issue"
    Staff protocol #5: "Determine the bare minimum punishment. There's no reason to jump straight to a ban, especially if the incident didn't cause a major disruption to the game"
    Description of the incident
    Late during a round on prison station I was in surgery in medbay. Earlier in the round I had been part of a plot to mutiny against command which was aborted before any action was taken. The commander had discovered this plot and when I awoke from surgery I found myself in the surgery room with the commander and a group of MPs guarding the door. In this moment of waking up I heard the commander spinning the cylinder on his Mateba and believing that he was about to BE me I struck him once with a knife in an attempt to defend myself. I was BEd immediately afterwards.

I was PMd about this series of events by audigzz. Audi asked me to explain to him the events which led to my execution. I did so and answered his questions politely and honestly. At this point, Audi told me that he was going to put a note on my account for improper escalation. At this point I sent him a single message attempting to explain that I believed that my life was in imminent danger and that thus the improper escalation note was unwarranted. At this point he grew irritated with me and despite having told me that he was just going to leave it with a note, he banned me for 3 hours.
    EvidenceHow you would punish the accused
    Over the course of my interaction with him, Audi broke the following protocols:

2: Audi chose to consider my striking the commander improper escalation because the CO told him that he had only intended to brig me, not BE me. He ignored my side of the story which is that in the situation that I found myself in, it was extremely reasonable to believe that the commander intended to BE me, which would thus make striking him self-defense.

3: Audi chose to issue me a 3 hour ban for striking the commander once with a knife. This strike caused the commander to suffer a small amount of brute damage and possibly a cut while he was standing in medbay, costing him perhaps up to 10 seconds of his personal time.

5: Audi, having considered the situation, determined that I should receive a note. The only thing I did between him telling me that I was going to receive a note and him upgrading it to a ban was trying to briefly explain my side of the story with a single message. Thus, we can infer that Audi determined the minimum punishment and chose to exceed it.

Staff code of conduct, remain professional: Given that throughout my conversation with him I endeavored to remain polite, there was nothing in the specific content of this single message that was disrespectful or would warrant a sudden escalation to a ban. I was merely attempting to provide him insight into my thought process. As I broke no rules between his initial judgment and subsequent escalation, we can conclude that Audi escalated my punishment out of personal irritation with me. I believe that since his conversation with me had gone on for quite some time, he had grown impatient and annoyed with me on a personal level and his spontaneous decision to increase my punishment stemmed from this. To allow impatience and irritation to influence his investigations and punishments as a moderator is tremendously unprofessional.

In my opinion, Audi displayed impatience, impulsiveness, and a susceptibility to allowing personal feelings to dictate his decision making, which to me raises serious concerns about his ability to impartially carry out his duties as moderator. In light of his conduct in this situation, I would recommend a serious reevaluation of his status as trial moderator.

CM-SS13 Vice Host
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Logs:

You join
    [18:01:47]ADMIN: Welden3/(Wilhelm 'Baron' Welden) has been assigned as Charlie Squad Engineer

Less than five whole minutes since you join the round, and this is the first log you're tied to communications or interactions with people.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Writing the sheet
    Spoiler Spoiler:

You go around trying to get support for a mutiny, still without giving cause
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

<Captain comes to medical to see you>
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Audi begins his conversation with you
    Spoiler Spoiler:

These are all logs tied to you, with a couple exempt due to irrelevance.
    Last edited by forest2001; 01-02-2019 at 05:53 AM.
    Charles & Arthur Edwinson
    Synth Percival | Artyom
    Yautja Kjhute Luar-ke

Record:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Discord: forest2001#2001

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright now that the logs are updated I will be making one and final response unless I'm told to post again by the Mod Manager which is Grimcad. Alright lets see at 12:05 you go around getting people to sign a "mutiny sign up sheet" lets also take into account command probably hasn't even made an announcement for briefing. Assuming as you said the IC reason was as you stated " I felt the commander's attitude had become too distant from the problems of the common soldier and that his detachment from the realities of combat would lead to disaster" The Commanding officer hasn't even made an announcement or even said "Good morning Marines". I genuinely saw this as LRP because why in gods name would a marine who served under a Captain for many years just wake up out of cryosleep and go "Hmmm today I will attempt Mutiny against my Captain because he doesn't know the problems of being a squad marine on the ground." Lets also take into account the previous round although unrelated was a mutiny round, this is where me and staff team began to follow you around to see if you were gonna give a IC reason to other marines to as why you were mutinying we as staff members just seen it as you tried to go for a double mutiny round as a meme and what not. Nonetheless after 30-40 minutes just following you and failing to supply a IC actual reason to your fellow marines instead of a made up lie you told me in PMs to save yourself of a harsher punishment. I then follow your person till you're in medical as you're getting surgery the Captain is 2 tiles away from you and just whips out his Mateba and quickly holsters it while you're UNCONSCIOUS and out of range to even see him do it on your screen as you're under a deep sleep during surgery. Lets then fast forward to where you get treated and the Captain shakes you up so he can speak with you so you just shout "SIC SEMPERIS TYRANNIS" and stab the CO to which is the faithful end of your round to which you wasted getting people to try and sign a mutiny sheet with no actual IC reason. As far as the logs show you honestly never even talked to your fellow marines on why you wanted them to sign, it was just "Sign for a mutiny." However after reading the logs it also shows that you try to make a IC reason in these lines here.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

I found it questionable to why you changed it in PMs to "No, not over his feelings exactly, but because I felt that his lack of concern for the common marine could lead to disaster" instead of sticking to the ONLY IC reason you gave to another marine and that was "We shouldn't be fighting these giant lizards" You spent 95% of your round going around as a USCM Jehovah Witness asking for players to mutiny without a IC cause until you were PM'd by me. To which you lied in PMs instead of sticking to your original IC reason of "We shouldn't be fighting the giant lizards". As for the 3 hour ban it was flat out improper escalation and many other staff members sided with me, If the Captain wanted to BE you he would've done it during your surgery. Just because a Captain whips out his Mateba while you're unconscious and spins the cylinder doesn't mean you defend yourself unless he fires the first shot which is in our rules. You are allowed to defend yourself from the CO if he tries to BE you but be aware of the IC punishment which will either be perma brig or be executed. The Captain honestly SHOOK you up and began to type and just stared at you as you stabbed him to which he quickly put a end to your Mutiny Witness campaign. You also clearly said what were your OOC intentions so its just the fact you joined the round with this OOC mindset
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    This brings me to the point to why would you honestly just wake up out of cryosleep and go try to mutiny against the Captain. What you honestly tried to do was be a dick to be honest to CIC players as they had a rough couple of rounds today with mutinies and what not. It does not change my mind that you came with the mindset of "Hmmm today I will try to get marines to mutiny again after a previous mutiny round" You then bragged about getting signatures in dchat to which you were saying "
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    This is where I rest my case and I will let Grimcad handle the situation from here on out.
    EDIT: I honestly have no idea who you are and I wasn't annoyed by your slow responses at all dude. I don't have no type of personal grievance towards you. If I was annoyed I would've been spamming your PMs with "Please respond quickly" etc etc. I genuinely didn't care about the slow responses. So I don't know where you're bringing that up from. As for your ban it honestly did warrant a three hour ban what you tried to do was mutiny for a weak reason and mess up the round for a bunch of CIC players if the mutiny would've went through.
    Last edited by Audi_Gzz; 01-02-2019 at 06:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I then follow your person till you're in medical as you're getting surgery the Captain is 2 tiles away from you and just whips out his Mateba and quickly holsters it while you're UNCONSCIOUS and out of range to even see him do it on your screen as you're under a deep sleep during surgery.
    You are not deaf or fully blind while unconscious and I am not aware of any ruling which states that information gained from your reduced senses while unconscious cannot be used IC. I noticed the Captain's presence in the room and clearly heard the sounds of a revolver being unholstered and spun and this is what lead me to conclude that he intended to BE me. I don't think that's an unreasonable train of thought and can find nothing in the rules stating that I am not allowed to use such information IC. As for the quote, I didn't want to just leap up and attack the Captain without warning but also didn't think I had a lot of time before he shot me, and that was the first relevant thing that came to mind.

I found it questionable to why you changed it in PMs to "No, not over his feelings exactly, but because I felt that his lack of concern for the common marine could lead to disaster" instead of sticking to the ONLY IC reason you gave to another marine and that was "We shouldn't be fighting these giant lizards" You spent 95% of your round going around as a USCM Jehovah Witness asking for players to mutiny without a IC cause until you were PM'd by me. To which you lied in PMs instead of sticking to your original IC reason of "We shouldn't be fighting the giant lizards".
    "The Captain does not show adequate concern for his men" and "The Captain has ordered us into a hopeless battle with giant lizards" are not mutually exclusive sentiments. In fact, they're rather related, and accusing me of lying is uncalled for. I did not generally go into great detail when trying to get people to sign because the people I interacted with were busy or otherwise lacking the attention span to listen to it.

What you honestly tried to do was be a dick to be honest to CIC players as they had a rough couple of rounds today with mutinies and what not. It does not change my mind that you came with the mindset of "Hmmm today I will try to get marines to mutiny again after a previous mutiny round" You then bragged about getting signatures in dchat
    It did not, was not intended to, and could never have reasonably turned into an actual mutiny. I admit, I may have had mutinies on the mind after the previous round, but you can't pretend that going around asking people(who then proceeded to bumble off and get killed by aliens) to sign a Mutiny Petition would ever actually result in storming CIC. If I got enough signatures, I was going to go up and wave it in the Captain's face, sure, but no real mutiny was ever going to take place. People signed it and then wandered off to do their own thing. OOC, it was a bit of an experiment to see how people would react and frankly, it had minimal impact on anyone's round.

EDIT: I honestly have no idea who you are and I wasn't annoyed by your slow responses at all dude. I don't have no type of personal grievance towards you. If I was annoyed I would've been spamming your PMs with "Please respond quickly" etc etc. I genuinely didn't care about the slow responses. So I don't know where you're bringing that up from. As for your ban it honestly did warrant a three hour ban what you tried to do was mutiny for a weak reason and mess up the round for a bunch of CIC players if the mutiny would've went through.
    I never implied that you had a pre-existing grievance with me, only that you went in with a preconceived understanding of the situation and acted impatient and dismissive towards any explanations that contradicted that understanding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just mention here I was the one who told them to raise it to a three hour ban, I don't look particularly kindly on mutinies without a good reason or attempting to raise one and causing further issues. Looked like you were trying to be a meme rather than play as a marine that round with what you said.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me address your main points respectively.

We do not allow "Preemptive retaliation." You cannot attack someone because you "think" they may attack you. That's an unacceptable excuse and can be seen as a "reason" to grief. Even though you state you "did not want to" your shouting "SIC SEMPER TYRANIS" instantly upon waking up shows me that you only wanted to attack him. It is improper escalation. The amount of damage done is not important in improper escalation/griefing. If you run around hitting people with a pen it is still griefing even if you only gave them a small amount of damage.

The next points are resolved at the same time. The warning was upgraded to a three hour ban at the request of Solarmare, one of our Admins. And I fully agree with him. Your entire conduct this round seems to be one of unacceptable LRP. You should never decide OOCily that you want to have a mutiny and then try to complete the steps necessary to make it happen. That alone would have been enough for me to give you a three hour ban. But then of course you attacked the CO for no good IC reason on top of that. Audi_Gzz was in fact going much easier on you than a more seasoned Moderator would. Solarmare saw this and acted accordingly.

Resolved. No action taken.