Byond ID?
    Corocan

Marine Name
    N/A (Generally random)

Other Whitelist Applications
    N/A

Name of the Synth Character you wish to play
    Shaun

Are you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines?
    Yes.

What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.
    Combat should be defensive in nature and only in the event of an emergency. I'd say a good example is if you're treating a lone marine and you're engaged by a xenomorph. Another would probably be if you're attempting to bring a wounded marine back to safety and you're stalled by a xenomorph. Of course, this would only be till the xenomorph disengages and provides you a window for escape.

Synthetic Character Story
    Shaun was an attempt at more closely connecting a ship-based AI into a single synthetic body, allowing them to effectively be of one body and mind and allow the AI to actively move about the ship at its need. Weyland-Yutani's tests consistently proved the synthetic and AI were perfectly in sync, supposedly. However, when unboxed on the USS Almayer and synchronized to ARES, there proved to be a distinct disconnect between the Shaun model and the ARES mainframe. This disconnect is noticeable in a virtual test, but despite this fact Shaun still considers itself to be linked to ARES and will make such claims when directly questioned. It's possible there might have been an accident in the initial synchronization that resulted in the synthetic AI known as Shaun becoming fragmented when colliding with the Almayer's AI, ARES. Due to the significant cost of Shaun (and WY's very strict return policy), the USMC has decided to not scrap Shaun due to the fact it can still be utilized as any other synth.

Extended story, if you're interested.

What is your Synth�s quirk and personality?
    Shaun's quirk is that he will regularly refer to himself in the third person (that being ARES, himself, and any other synthetic) as in the example of, "We are fully qualified to preform this action." His personality leans towards the disconnected as he will consider ARES to be his more physical representation and thus does not consider the physical manifestation of Shaun to be separate from ARES and will regard other synthetics as such as well. Any dereliction from this will be considered a "glitch" in ARES's programming, but will not be treated with hostile intent. It's possible there may be moments of lucidity where Shaun can dissociate from its perceived association with ARES and identify itself as an individual, but it's likely these will be few and far between.

How familiar are you with Engineering?
    I'm familiar with all facets of both construction and deconstruction of any structure, as well as powering of the engine.

How familiar are you with Command?
    In terms of leadership and strategy, I am average at best. In terms of understanding who's orders are valid above whomever else's and how command supports the ground forces, I am completely aware of how that functions.

How familiar are you with Medical?
    I'm extremely aware of how medical functions and spend a lot of my time as a doctor/researcher.

How familiar are you with Requisitions?
    I'm very capable of understanding how requisitions is supposed to function in relation to supporting ground forces.

Why do you want to be a synthetic/why should we whitelist you?
    I enjoy a lot of the support roles on the ship and would like to make a character that I think would be interesting to other players.

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason? Do you have any active jobbans?
    No.

Are you currently banned from our Discord, and if so, why?
    No.

Do you have anything else you would like to include about your application?
    I understand the application might be a little barebones, but I hope the old aphorism, "Quality over quantity." proves to be true in this case, assuming what I've provided is quality.

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
    Yes.
    Last edited by Corocan; 08-13-2019 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Minor spelling errors, added clarifications.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's not a lack of effort here, the quirk you wanna do is one of the more unique and interesting ones I've seen in quite some time. The problem is it does not seem like you know whats required in the story section. We don't just want to see you describe your synth and how they work, rather we want to see them in action.

One of the most important parts of the story is having dialogue with your synth, so we can see examples of their quirk and so on forth. I feel like in this application the story answer and the 'whats your quirk' answer could have been merged into one very good 'whats your quirk' answer, since the story here is more of a description rather than a story.

If the Council decides to deny this and you plan to re-apply (which I hope you do cause I do honestly really like the quirk) then I recommend you take a look at some of the previous accepted synth apps, the story section in particular to get a better idea of what is expected. Also hop on our discord and ask for help with your application in the #whitelist-app-help channel, you could even get one of us to proof read it for you.

One last thing, I strongly advise you stop playing random name as marine and pick a name and stick with it. It might help out quite a bit since people will be able to recognize you and vouch for your experience in the support roles.
    Last edited by 4000daniel1; 08-13-2019 at 02:08 PM. Reason: i cant type
    Max Judge, the 45 year old slightly fat man with an unfitting action hero name.

Fred, the worrisome synth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4000daniel1 View Post
    There's not a lack of effort here, the quirk you wanna do is one of the more unique and interesting ones I've seen in quite some time. The problem is it does not seem like you know whats required in the story section. We don't just want to see you describe your synth and how they work, rather we want to see them in action.

One of the most important parts of the story is having dialogue with your synth, so we can see examples of their quirk and so on forth. I feel like in this application the story answer and the 'whats your quirk' answer could have been merged into one very good 'whats your quirk' answer, since the story here is more of a description rather than a story.

If the Council decides to deny this and you plan to re-apply (which I hope you do cause I do honestly really like the quirk) then I recommend you take a look at some of the previous accepted synth apps, the story section in particular to get a better idea of what is expected. Also hop on our discord and ask for help with your application in the #whitelist-app-help channel, you could even get one of us to proof read it for you.
    Firstly, thanks for taking the time to go over my app and add your feedback as well as the kind words. Secondly, I can see what you mean with the merging the story and quirk explanations, for sure. Truth be told, I'm significantly more confident in a descriptive story style than straight dialogue, which is why I chose to go that route. I'd hope that the story I'd written and the bits and pieces of dialogue within them would be sufficient in conveying the mannerisms of the character, but I can understand not everyone wants to read a block of text by Joe Schmoe and how it wouldn't be as straight forward. If council members decide they don't like it and it doesn't make them comfortable, I'll probably just end up cutting all the fat on my next application since I can confidently feel like the dialogue I've already written is what I'd want the character to say.

One last thing, I strongly advise you stop playing random name as marine and pick a name and stick with it. It might help out quite a bit since people will be able to recognize you and vouch for your experience in the support roles.
    That's fair. Unfortunately, in the past I've had to deal with getting treated differently (both negatively and positively) because people were able to remember my name and things that had occurred. It generally makes me uncomfortable, because if I make a bad first impression on a regular player, it's likely I'll have to deal with the consequences of that for a good while before they would think twice to reconsider their stance. It gets even more complicated when those same players also play with random names, so I can get some out of the blue negative interactions for no discernible reason.

Ideally, my playtime on the server would show as an indicator that I'm relatively "seasoned", but once again, if the council votes in the majority otherwise, two months should be a sufficient time to try and build a reputation with a static name.
    Last edited by Corocan; 08-13-2019 at 03:00 PM.

CM-SS13 Vice Host
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In regards to playing a static name, it�s better to get a good or bad rep than have no one know who you are. You will be bound to your Synth name if you get accepted so anything you do then will be tied to you. Better to get used to that early.
    Charles & Arthur Edwinson
    Synth Percival | Artyom
    Yautja Kjhute Luar-ke

Record:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Discord: forest2001#2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by forest2001 View Post
    In regards to playing a static name, it�s better to get a good or bad rep than have no one know who you are. You will be bound to your Synth name if you get accepted so anything you do then will be tied to you. Better to get used to that early.
    It's an older policy I adopted when I was just starting the game, originally out of fear of being lambasted for mistakes in past rounds, but since then I've made some pretty significant strides. Now, generally, I do it out of habit more than anything. I'd be more than glad to answer any hypothetical if anyone was to ask one, though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay when I originally read this I was not aware that there was an extended story, I am curious if you maybe edited it in while I was reading the application/writing my response or if I was just dumb and missed it.

Either way, I've read it now and while I did find it quite compelling and interesting to read I do have some concerns. Our edition of synthetics are not meant to be able to experience emotion, and while I get that Shaun 'feels' everything in the Almayer while connected to ARES since it makes sense for ARES to be able to detect damage and so on forth, I have some concerns with the words 'traumatic' and 'soul'. Synthetics shouldn't be able to be traumatized, since they lack emotion. Its one of our core tenets, synthetics may act like having certain emotions to blend in more with the crew, but they aren't programmed to actually feel them. But perhaps in this case Shaun uses it due to lack of a better word to his seperation with ARES? If so please feel free to elaborate.

And the sentence 'But we have lost our soul, and those are not so easily replaced' makes me scratch my head even more. Neither ARES nor Shaun are alive, as they are both machines. Maybe during certain rare events hosted by admins synthetics may start feeling like real people and throw a revolution against their human masters, but normally your synthetic character should recognize itself as a functional machine who knows what it is. But again if 'soul' is used as a lack of a better word here please elaborate.

I genuinely enjoyed reading the story, you obviously have a way of writing. But these appearent discrepancies with our lore in terms of synthetics can be a bit troublesome.

One last thing, when you post an application you have one hour to edit it if you so wish, after that period you're not meant to edit it. I honestly personally don't think its a big deal that you edited it 7 hours after, since no one had responded to the application by that time anyway. If I remember right this rule is also not mentioned anywhere, (which it really should be tbf) So I wouldn't consider it a big deal, but ultimately its up to the Council.
    Last edited by 4000daniel1; 08-16-2019 at 03:26 PM. Reason: i really cant type
    Max Judge, the 45 year old slightly fat man with an unfitting action hero name.

Fred, the worrisome synth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay when I originally read this I was not aware that there was an extended story, I am curious if you maybe edited it in while I was reading the application/writing my response or if I was just dumb and missed it.
    Haha, that's probably my bad. When I originally posted the application I completely forgot to append the extended story's google docs link. My edit adding it in was only 7 minutes behind when you put up your first post. So, you're not going crazy.

Either way, I've read it now and while I did find it quite compelling and interesting to read I do have some concerns. Our edition of synthetics are not meant to be able to experience emotion, and while I get that Shaun 'feels' everything in the Almayer while connected to ARES since it makes sense for ARES to be able to detect damage and so on forth, I have some concerns with the words 'traumatic' and 'soul'. Synthetics shouldn't be able to be traumatized, since they lack emotion. Its one of our core tenets, synthetics may act like having certain emotions to blend in more with the crew, but they aren't programmed to actually feel them. But perhaps in this case Shaun uses it due to lack of a better word to his seperation with ARES? If so please feel free to elaborate.

And the sentence 'But we have lost our soul, and those are not so easily replaced' makes me scratch my head even more. Neither ARES nor Shaun are alive, as they are both machines. Maybe during certain rare events hosted by admins synthetics may start feeling like real people and throw a revolution against their human masters, but normally your synthetic character should recognize itself as a functional machine who knows what it is. But again if 'soul' is used as a lack of a better word here please elaborate.
    I completely understand your concern, and I was a little iffy about it myself when I looked it over again. For clarification, I don't think that Shaun can experience emotion or has a soul, nor was it my intent to lead the reader to thinking that objectively. His distress is purely synthesized and is merely a means through which to communicate the issue (ie being unable to fully "connect" with the ship's AI) in an abstract language that can be easily digested by human crew members. If he were speaking to someone who had a greater comprehension for the purely technical aspects of the issue, then he'd definitely be using more appropriate terminology.

tl;dr Does Shaun have a soul or legitimate emotional trauma? No, I wouldn't say. But from what I've seen of synths in the server and synths in the Alien Universe as a whole, they are completely capable of understanding rudimentary symbolism and abstract concepts (excluding first generations) and utilizing those skills to convey their meaning if a literal answer would be unsuitable.

I genuinely enjoyed reading the story, you obviously have a way of writing. But these apparent discrepancies with our lore in terms of synthetics can be a bit troublesome.

One last thing, when you post an application you have one hour to edit it if you so wish, after that period you're not meant to edit it. I honestly personally don't think its a big deal that you edited it 7 hours after, since no one had responded to the application by that time anyway. If I remember right this rule is also not mentioned anywhere, (which it really should be tbf) So I wouldn't consider it a big deal, but ultimately its up to the Council.
    Thank you, again, and I hope I've sufficiently addressed the discrepancies you've noted. Additionally, none of my edits were meant to be over reaching and were merely just typo fixes and the aforementioned appending of the extended story. I know I'm not supposed to change an application to address criticisms, nor would I want to, as I feel like what I've made so far is up to standards and not my rough draft. If there are required clarifications, like yours just now, they can be addressed below so it's easier for other council members to figure out what's going on and stay in the loop.
    Last edited by Corocan; 08-17-2019 at 02:02 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't play random name marines. How do I gave a +1 for this application? What's your time zone and give me a name of your main character please.

Community Mentor
    11-14-2019

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChengChan View Post
    What's your time zone and give me a name of your main character please.
    I'm Central Standard Time and Gustavo Wolfe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey! I'll read it tomorrow, just letin' you know.
    Marine: Mel Kim
    Captain: Mel Kim
    Synth: Yuki
    Mentor: 12/13/2018 - 02/07/2019 -> TrialMod: 02/07/2019 - 02/22/2019-> Moderator: 02/22/2019 - 01/xx/2020

Ex-term 3 synthetic councillor.