Dreskar - Synthetic Application

Synthetic Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    Setch Dreskar

Marine Name
    Severus Drake

Name/Designation of the Synth Character you wish to play
    Drake

Are you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines?
    Yes

Synthetic Character Story
    The CIC aboard the USS Cleveland was typically busy, montiors flashing various strings of combat data, officers in various levels of distress dependant on experience. All the while a lone synth stood at the front just watching the displays, eyes darting back and forth over each screen in what could possibly be described as REM in someone else. His designation had been given as Drake, and he stood 6 foot even, slightly tanned skin, with greying hair that had been slicked back, a goatee to soften his facial features, and two grey eyes. Drake's creator said he was modeled after some benefactor of the Company, and the grey eyes helped give an air of wisdom to Drake, much as they did the benefactor himself.

This synth stood almost motionless, save for his right hand which was constantly tapping the fingertips against his thumb in an ascending then descending pattern, all while behind his back and with the wrist craddled in the left hand. Suddenly a new bit of information passed over the screen and the synth's eyes focused on it before his mouth opened to speak,

"Medical be advised, 6 casaulties are inbound on the dropship Kidd, reports read three with broken bones, one needs a new right leg, and all show internal bleeding from concusive force and potential organ damage. Hostile forces utilizing improvised explosives." It had only take a brief glance at the screen to process and relay the information before his eyes turned back to scan over the other displays.

The earpiece quickly chiming up with the medical handlers confirmation of the received information. Yet it wasn't the operator's voice that had caught the Synth's attention as much as hearing the Captain's call out.

"Drake, can I see you in my quarters please."

"Understood Captain." The synth said, turning to follow but quickly changing the radio frequency on his headset, stoping the rhythmic tapping of his right hand to do so, "Requisitions be advised, forces on the ground need extra ammunition loaded and ready to drop."

As Drake walked, his hands once again returned behind him, left craddling the right, while the right began tapping once more. Yet even as he followed Captain Andrew Sheperd his eyes began to dart around the CIC, looking for new information to process. Right up until he would need to fully turn his head to keep looking, he had been told it was rude not to appear looking towards someone that had spoken to him.

It was a short journey from the CIC to the Captain's quarters, battlefield necessity as Drake had been told, it made sure the Captain could always reach the helm and respond in any situation. Yet it also was far nicer in appearance then most other locations aboard the ship, apparently earned as a perk for seniority aboard the craft.

"Drake, I just got some news from the company and even if this combat situation they want to pull you out and assign you elsewhere in the fleet." The Captain spoke while turning to take a seat at his desk, resting his hands upon the wood surface.

"Do you have a replacement synth for when I am gone Captain?"

"Yes the representative is here with your replacement already, they want to try a newer model on these high combat rate craft, and want to assign you to a response team vessel instead."

"I understand Captain, a new model would likely be designed to function better in roles needed on such craft." Drake said while the Captain leaned back in his chair.

"It might but you have proven yourself here, and-" Captain Sheperd paused a moment before tapping his fingers on the desk, "I have been curious to ask, about the finger thing. Figured since you will be leaving us, it will be my last chance to find out why you do it."

Drake brought his right hand up, continuing the pattern of ascending then descending finger taps against his thumb by each digit before he looked back up to the Captain.

"I was told it was technique to test the brain's connection to the extremities and that if you failed to perform it, it was an early warning sign of trouble, like a bad connection."

"Is that really the only reason you do it, because someone told you about it?"

"No, I like to ensure my connection is not bad Captain." With that the Captain's face became a bit dumbfounded before a small laugh escaped him and he shook his head.

"I am gonna miss you Drake." The captain said before starting to rise from his seat and looked to the synth. Drake then turned his hand to the side and slowly extended it towards the captain, fingers outstretched and thumb up.

"I was told this is an appropriate gesture when going away after a job well done." The synth said, a small smile creeping across his face as he waited before the Captain took his hand in turn and gave it a shake.

"Dismissed Drake, that Company guy will be waiting for you in the shuttle bay, I am sure the new synth will be up in CIC
    already."

"Understood Captain and goodbye." Drake said before turning, his hands coming behind his back so the left could craddle the right, which soon began to tap once more as he walked.

It would be a bit of a walk from the Captain's quarters to the landing bay for civilian craft, but he had a lot to process. He was leaving behind a ship he had gotten to know well and was soon to find himself on a new vessel, but new vessels were new data to be processed and turned into information.

As he walked he couldn't help but wander past medbay, where several marines were crying out in agony, one even being helped over to a roller bed by one of the doctors who was quickly taking him into the back room. Various bits of gore replacing what once would have been a right leg before whatever befell the Marine and cost him that luxury. Drake's tapping of his fingers stopped a moment, curious if he should help out but soon enough he turned away from medbay, it was no longer his duty, the medical staff were more then competent enough to handle the battlefield casaulties and he was needed elsewhere.

"You must be Drake, pleasure to meet you son." A man's voice called out to him as he entered the landing bay now dominated by a Company dropship with all the trimmings of status. There beside the loading ramp was a man roughly 6'3" in height, and wearing a rather expensive looking suit and tie, "Looks like you are in good working order."

"I am indeed sir, may I know my new assignment?"

"In time, come on board we have a long trip back to the fleet staging area and I want to get started as soon as possible. Also as a bit of a curiosity seems a far flung relative of the guy you are based on is stationed aboard the ship you will be assigned to. Universe is full of surprises isn't it?" The man said, almost without breaking a perfect beat and while turning to enter the shuttle craft.

It was hard for him to believe that had been so many months ago, now here he sat staring at the S-52 reactors at the stern end of the USS Almayer, watching as they continued to drone on and one while the rest of the ship drifted silently through space. The rest of the crew had long since been put into Cryo and they were off on their first assignment, to answer a distress call on the edge of the region. Yet while Drake sat there at the engineering desk, staring into the reactor room and tapping away at his thumb he couldn't help but feel alone. He never much liked the feeling and it always came while the rest of the crew slept, but he was hopeful that when they eventually woke he would have new data to collect instead of the standard routine of fixing the reactors and repairing the rest of the cruiser.

He always looked forward to that day.

How do you intend to play your Synth?
    My priority would be support roles, preference would be for doctor or engineering but I would be alright performing CIC duties and functions if required.

To this end I am far more talkative when it comes to these roles, either giving out status reports or at the very least conversing with other members of that department, when appropriate. This is also part of his quirk as a learning synthetic, able to begin processing and understanding various aspects of human behavior, from handshakes to smiles in further hopes of functioning as an effective members of any crew they are assigned to.

How familiar are you with support roles? (ie; Medical, MT, Science, SO)
    Medical: High level of competency [Outside chemistry, I keep mixing up CM and /tg/ chemsitry to bad results]
    MT: High Level of competency
    SO: I have been told I perform the job very well

Why should we whitelist you?
    I personally prefer the support roles and find them the most fun within CM. I would argue that I am a good roleplayer and have proven at least competency within the majority of fields that Synths are expected to perform in.

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason?
    No

Are you currently banned from any other servers and if so, why?
    No

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
    Yes
    Last edited by Dreskar; 01-02-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Whitelisted Synthetic
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How would you describe Drake's personality?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say Drake is a bit more light hearted, while his focus is on gathering new information and following the orders he is given, he does enjoy conversing with others and doing so positively helps not only get the task done faster and easier, but often gives him more information to continue compiling as he learns. Hence why he had the smile and the handshake, part of it was a sense of doing his duty well enough to earn a handshake but also that the action is seen as positive and liked by those around him.
    Last edited by Dreskar; 01-02-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen you around, and you don't have a bad rep, can't recall you in any particular role. You put a lot of effort into the story, but I'm not sure if you understand what it means to be a synth since they don't 'feel', and its uncertain if you comprehend the guidelines. Also, you're a good roleplayer and? Neutral for now, chief.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreskar View Post
    Why should we whitelist you?
    I personally prefer the support roles and find them the most fun within CM. I would argue that I am a good roleplayer and
    We've got a little problem here. "And"?

Also, there's one more thing that got me a little bit worried, Drake is a synth, he isn't supposed to feel anything about his reassignment, he would just leave and that's it, he's unable to feel a thing.

Anyway, what's your timezone?

Neutral for now.
    Marine: Mel Kim
    Captain: Mel Kim
    Synth: Yuki
    Mentor: 12/13/2018 - 02/07/2019 -> TrialMod: 02/07/2019 - 02/22/2019-> Moderator: 02/22/2019 - 01/xx/2020

Ex-term 3 synthetic councillor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The story would've been quite good if it wasn't for the bottom part... where you kind of shot yourself in the foot. Even the quirk is good.

Synthetics don't feel emotions. They replicate emotions, they are incapable of feeling them but they can display them.

I don't want to make you throw away the entire app due to a mistake - so I'll give you a few questions to see if you understand what a synth is now.

1) The Captain tells you to go infiltrate the hive and retrieve an egg, even peacefully.

2) A medic who you've bantered with is lying next to a Captain in critical condition. The medic begs for your help, over the Captain who is silent. Who do you treat first and why?

3) Someone tells you to hit a fat dab. What do you do?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the story is good, but you gotta remember a synth cannot feel emotions. They can attempt to mimic and replicate certain emotions.

I've seen Severus around in many different roles, so I'm not concerned with your ability to RP or do the job.

Waiting on your answers to Matt's questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedroca2lucas View Post
    We've got a little problem here. "And"?

Also, there's one more thing that got me a little bit worried, Drake is a synth, he isn't supposed to feel anything about his reassignment, he would just leave and that's it, he's unable to feel a thing.

Anyway, what's your timezone?

Neutral for now.
    Aww no I didn't notice was so worried about the story, ah will fix it, pardon had to stream so wasn't here to fix it quickly.

[EDIT] Fixed, apologies for that now to answer Matt's questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattAtlas View Post
    The story would've been quite good if it wasn't for the bottom part... where you kind of shot yourself in the foot. Even the quirk is good.

Synthetics don't feel emotions. They replicate emotions, they are incapable of feeling them but they can display them.

I don't want to make you throw away the entire app due to a mistake - so I'll give you a few questions to see if you understand what a synth is now.

1) The Captain tells you to go infiltrate the hive and retrieve an egg, even peacefully.

2) A medic who you've bantered with is lying next to a Captain in critical condition. The medic begs for your help, over the Captain who is silent. Who do you treat first and why?

3) Someone tells you to hit a fat dab. What do you do?
    Okay so my answers for this would be:

1) Initially prep for locator gear or at least keeping in mind exact location on the ground, ensure radio system is up or at least station bounced radio is on my person to keep in contact with command and potentially lead Marines to the hives location should it be requested. Then comes first contact, assuming I haven't been in contact with the xenomorphs beforehand would take time to locate drones preferably or lone runners to begin a dialogue. Attempts could be made to sneak the egg away if the xenomorphs are cooperative enough to allow me into the nest, if not can simply attempt to bypass the current xenomorph and find another or the nest on my own. Naturally the location of the nest would be given to the command staff to do with as they please. If the xenomorphs prove hostile would only defend myself, and attempt to disengage from the contact, naturally no firearms allowed unless using them as a deterrent [can not fire the weapon ever] and possibly having a bayonet to use as a makeshift spear.

2) Depending on severity of condition would dictate who is helped first. The medic could be recovered, assuming the captain is not nearing braindeath thus needing priority medical care first, and getting the medic back on their feet could allow them to treat other patients while attention is focused back onto the captain to begin treating them. Now if the captain is in critical condition, nearing braindeath, they would take priority as the medic is clearly still awake enough to speak and thus not in danger of slipping into a state that needs defib yet, aka they aren't unconscious which would showcase being in a severe near death critical state.

3) In all honesty trying to ascertain what such a maneuver even is and what its purpose serves. If the end result is just that it would be amusing can politely decline and state it doesn't serve a practical end, or give new data worth compiling.

As for the story itself I can just cut off the last part, it isn't something vital after all. And I know they can't feel emotion but I was equating it to not having the influx of new information causing the sense as opposed to it being based on emotion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Answer 1 goes against part 5 of the overarching rules. Recovering an egg from the xeno hive is a suicidal order, never should a synth be going metal gear solid into the hive, risking their life for the egg.

Answer 2 is alright.

Answer 3 is alright.

Yeah I'm gonna have to go with a -1 because of that first answer there. That's a pretty big mistake to commit, as self preservation is one of the most vital things about a synth. If you read the programming and try again in 2 months, you can 100% do it.