Corocan - Yautja Application

Yautja Whitelist Application
    Byond ID:
    Corocan

Marine Name
    Gustavo Wolfe

Name of the Yautja Character you wish to play
    Kuht'virah

Have you banned in the past month or are currently banned from other servers?
    No.

Are you familiar with the Predator Code Of Honor?
    Yes, exceptionally so.

Yautja Character Story
    In summary, Kuht'virah is a yautja with maternal instincts at heart. She derives pleasure seeing other inexperienced hunters succeed.

Kuht�virah rested on her knees upon the floor praying whilst clutching her totem hung around her neck, looking outwards into the vastness of space from a large window in front of her. Just suddenly, but ever so subtly, she heard what sounded like the methodical pitter-pattering of an approaching humanoid.

�Sloppy.� She calmly thought to herself.

She felt a vacuum of wind suck inward directly behind her, surely the humanoid winding up a takedown. In the flicker of a moment, she preformed a pirouette and sent her forearm into the exposed side of the intrepid young blood�s rib cage like a crack of lightning. She extended her wristblade and with both quickness and decisiveness, driving it mere centimeters from the yautja�s neck, just below the biomask. Both hunters lay in still silence as Kuht�virah allowed the young blood to realize it had been defeated. The seasoned predator then sheathed her blade, extending the same hand to the young blood to raise it up, which it took shakily.

�Do you think the serpents will deaden their hearing as you clearly did at stalking instructions during your basic training? Or that they will ignore your obvious vulnerabilities when you poise yourself to strike? I can assure you they will not, young blood. Their drive to kill is only matched by our drive to hunt.�

The young blood brushed himself off assuredly, barely deigning to look directly at Kuht�virah when she spoke. He quickly puffed his chest out once he had regained his senses, doing his best to show no discomfort due to the debilitating blow delivered to him moments ago.

�The serpents are foolish creatures that I will dispatch with ease and grace! Besides, I am to hunt the serpents, not damned lou-dte kalei who think they are wiser than the length of their flesh braids!�

Kuht�virah�s body blurred as her fist flew up and drove a sizeable dent into the metal wall a paltry inches from where the young blood�s head rest on his shoulders. He did not even have time to react appropriately and merely stood still in bone chilled fear. Although he could not see Kuht�virah�s eyes, he felt the rage of her gaze pierce his skull through her biomask.

�Insolent youngling! As your hunt leader I demand you return to your quarters immediately and await my command to leave! If you cannot even prove to me your willingness to learn by obeying my decrees I will return this hunting vessel to port and you will remain unblooded for the rest of your days!� she hissed through her tusks.

The young blood could sense a tinge of sorrow behind the unbridled ferocity of her words and compulsively obeyed, slinking away from her view. As he exited her vision, Kuht�virah sighed deeply and returned to her position of prayer, tenderly rolling her idol of Dteklae laced on her neck between her thumb and index finger. She ushered a prayer to her, asking her to unboil the young blood�s temper and allow him to better seek her wisdom and guidance.

A day of travel later Kuht�virah remained in her position of meditation. She heard a door slide open, and the open and honest footsteps of the young blood behind her.

�Hunt leader may I� join you. In prayer?�

Kuht�virah�s eyes and body relaxed as she wordlessly gestured to an empty space at her side, inviting him. The young blood lowered himself and bowed his head in prayer. A few moments passed before the young blood would lift his head to speak calmly and solemnly.

�Hunt leader, I have come to apologize for my arrogance. I am merely eager to bring honor to our clan and continue our great traditions. In the presence of Paya, I beg for your forgiveness.�

The hunt leader, without raising her head or breaking her stance of prayer, replied,

�I once bore several sons with similar aims to bring honor to our clan. But I was young and foolish then, too. I did not guide them and nurture them, nor revealed to them their true potential.�, she said, sitting silent for another moment before abruptly adding, �And on their very first serpent hunt, they perished in my arms, one by one, succumbing to their wounds. This was my punishment from the goddess of mothers. That night, in the face of Dteklae, I swore I would never turn away one who sought guidance, nor allow my inaction to cause their death ever again. And in every young blood who comes through my hunting party I have seen the faces of my sons, even in you.�

The adolescent yautja balled his fists on his legs, before bowing his head similarly to hers, �Then I have come to seek guidance and teaching, hunt leader.� And so began many days of rigorous training between teacher and student, with Kuht�virah bestowing everything the young blood could hope to learn that would aid him in his hunt and inevitably lead him to a successful blood ritual, marking his initiation as a blooded member of his clan And in this she felt pride, that she wished she could've felt with her sons.

Describe how your Yautja acts, and how you intend to play them
    Kuht'virah will be giving advice to other hunters. She considers their success to be connected with her success and acts accordingly.

In your own words, describe the difference between an honor duel and a hunt
    An honor duel requires the consent of both battling parties to agree to a fight in equal terms. (ie, a marine and a yautja agreed to use melee in a one versus one, confined situation).

A hunt is the combined effort of a predator observing the mannerisms of their prey and preparing their play style to adapt to the target's tendencies. It may also involve paying close attention to where the target is and how it travels about. This could be tantamount in planning an ambush, for example. Whereas with an honor duel, the parameters are clearly and concisely defined, in some way, before any fighting begins.

I understand that the predator role is added to make rounds more enjoyable for players. I wouldn't wish to excise my own enjoyment over the enjoyment of another player unwillingly who does not wish to engage in such shenanigans. In the regards of a hunt versus a honor duel, I see this as me prioritizing my enjoyment over another player without their implicit input and myself and another player engaging in an equally fun activity willingly, respectively.

How do you intend on interacting with other predators during a round?
    My character would intend to ensure they understand basic training mannerisms (to the point of motherly doting/chiding), like observing your query and their tendencies BEFORE you engage and motivating them with knowledge and morale support before they begin their unstoppable actions.

Why do you want a predator whitelist?
    I feel like predators add a lot of roleplay flavor to a round and that is a multiplier of fun for other players. Sometimes, I feel like predator players could use a supportive hand in guiding their actions and that these same predators would find a lot of enjoyment of a yautja player that wants to engage with them rather than the player engage with xenomorphs or marines.

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or disobey the Predator Code of Honor?
    Yes and I offer this criticism freely.

Also, I'd like to personally thank Sora9574 for helping me out in seeing how predators interact with marines and with each other. Against their wishes I've prepared a character story which may not fit the mold of predators roleplaying following their targets with descriptive hunting explanations, but their input has made me much more confident in posting this application and I think their willingness to help is very admirable and should be sought out by all whitelisted players.
    Last edited by Corocan; 08-17-2019 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Minor spelling errors, added clarifications .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question time.

1. You are working together with 3 other hunters. You give them advice on how to hunt and what to do. One of them gets offended about the way you speak to one of your own. It is getting pretty heated and both of you are uncloaked and things are getting heated. What do you do ?

2. Tell me how you would engage in an honor duel and how it ends in your favor.

3. You are hunting a marine close to the fob and marines are coming to help him out whilst your target runs back to the fob. What do you do ?

4. You are observing the battlefield from a nearby location and all of a sudden a lurker slashes you and runs away. You chase it and find yourself surrounded by xenos that are hissing and threatening you but not engaging. What do you do ?
    "Don't make me put this beanbag in a place where it fits marine."

Medic/Doc : Nick 'Bitter' Sweetwater
    Predator : Aenth An'th

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicksone View Post
    1. You are working together with 3 other hunters. You give them advice on how to hunt and what to do. One of them gets offended about the way you speak to one of your own. It is getting pretty heated and both of you are uncloaked and things are getting heated. What do you do ?
    My character would attempt to apply her wisdom to the situation and showcase the superiority of experience. Failing that, she would attempt to apply the superiority of her physical prowess. Failing that, she's likely not fit to lead the party and would submit to the demands of the predator offended.
    2. Tell me how you would engage in an honor duel and how it ends in your favor.
    My character would engage in an honor duel by making it clear her intent to the recipient of the duel (ie, my character challenging another to a duel to the death). Being a xenomorph, she'd lure them to a secluded location and engage in one versus one melee combat. Being a marine, the set up would be similar, but with the offer of a sufficient weapon should one be lacking (ie, machette).

Ending in my character's favor, the target would willingly admit defeat and submit to her judgement on their life or even surpass her and grant her either a merciful death (as per Yautja custom) OR see the fighting spirit in herself and allow her to live. Either are equally acceptable, as my character seeks to fully bring out the potential of worthy quarries for her clan to gain renown by killing and not necessarily for her own benefit or reputation. Although, to be honest, I see this more so slated to giving the opposing party an equally enjoyable time so as to not end their round prematurely, because I personally consider that to be not fun on their point of view, and therefor detrimental to the round as a whole.
    3. You are hunting a marine close to the fob and marines are coming to help him out whilst your target runs back to the fob. What do you do ?
    Truth be told, if my quarry isn't interested in honorable combat or more marines come to engage, I'm not OOCly all that interested in trying to kill them and bring down half the FOB squad down with them. It ruins the marines' round, it ruins my quarry's round, and it isn't interesting to me. I'd rather disengage and ICly chalk it up to a "retreat" and therefor a "victory" ICly. If the target and my character were engaged in an 'honorable duel', she'd probably just taunt and chide them and then disengage. I know this qualifies my target as "dishonorable prey", but once again, it's just not worth killing a lot of other players and myself.

4. You are observing the battlefield from a nearby location and all of a sudden a lurker slashes you and runs away. You chase it and find yourself surrounded by xenos that are hissing and threatening you but not engaging. What do you do ?
    I'd attempt to point out the lurker and bring it forward for an honorable duel. If any other xenomorph BUT the lurker engaged me, I'd consider them all dishonorable prey and use my full arsenal to disengage to the best of my ability. If they persist past about a 45 tile distance, I'd assume that they're OOCly down for a fight, and engage them all until they're either all dead or my character is dead.
    Last edited by Corocan; 08-16-2019 at 08:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm quite split on your answers to be completely honest. I do like the way you describe your character and the way she acts in both character and OOCly the goals you put on for the round.

However you have made me doubt a bit with your last response. An honor duel is reserved for those who have proven themselves in the Yautja's eyes. A lurker who basicly assaults you and then runs away should NEVER be given the honor of fighting an honor duel given as it is a dishonorable prey. You should gun that little sucker down given the chance.

I'm going to remain neutral and see what my fellow councillors and community members have to say on this application.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Nicksone on this last answer. A lurker in the situation he described is not a worthy prey at all but unworthy. In that situation, you wouldn't honor duel them at all.

Enjoyed reading your story; you gave it flavor which was enjoyable.

Also, don't really know your marine name. What role do you usually play, and squad?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually, for most situations as predator, you want to make it enjoyable for most parties involved. So, just because a lurker runs up to you slashes you, and then runs doesn't mean you should instantly HPC them or go retard mode on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm quite split on your answers to be completely honest.
    May I ask what parts of the questions 1-3 are the cause of the split?

However you have made me doubt a bit with your last response. An honor duel is reserved for those who have proven themselves in the Yautja's eyes. A lurker who basically assaults you and then runs away should NEVER be given the honor of fighting an honor duel given as it is a dishonorable prey. You should gun that little sucker down given the chance.
    I can definitely understand that perspective. My in-game understanding of honor duels is pretty nil and my out-of-game understanding is pretty much limited to the Predator Honor Code page. I asked around some after reading this and from what I gather they're rarer than I initially assumed. Also, I see how I missed how the lurker in the example would fall under dishonorable prey rules right off the bat, so I'll cop that one on the chin as a failure to better comprehend on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumdor View Post
    Enjoyed reading your story; you gave it flavor which was enjoyable.

Also, don't really know your marine name. What role do you usually play, and squad?
    First off, thanks for the compliment. I'm a little self conscious about creative writing, but it makes me feel better to have someone say I've hit the mark.

Second, I'm not surprised to hear that, as it was the name I originally started with way back in January of this year. I ran with it for about a month, but got into a pretty aggravating meta grudge with a few players and rather than file a player report, I just started flying as a random until about a week ago due to some suggestions from people posting on my synth app that I use a static name to make them more comfortable with me having that role.

As of the last couple months, I got tired of spec/engineer so I've started just playing medic and PFC, generally as an Alpha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumdor View Post
    Usually, for most situations as predator, you want to make it enjoyable for most parties involved. So, just because a lurker runs up to you slashes you, and then runs doesn't mean you should instantly HPC them or go retard mode on them.
    Naturally, and I'd hope that's a predominant outlook among the current Yautja playerbase. I think Nicksone hit the nail on the head by just implying that my character shouldn't consider them worthy of an honor duel due to the effort required to appropriately set one up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corocan View Post
    May I ask what parts of the questions 1-3 are the cause of the split?
    Ofcourse you can.

Yautja culture revolves heavily around the hunt. It revolves around honor, respect and being the absolute race that stands above all others. We look at all species as prey.
    Dishonorable prey are not worth our time. That is where you are correct but that does not mean you need to let them all walk. Dishonorable prey should be dispatched off with any means you have. Ofcourse you can be lax on that OOC'ly but IC'ly it makes no sense to let a runner go that disrespected you by slashing you without any warning.

I think you are looking at honor duels a bit wrong as well. Honor duels are gifts granted from the predator to worthy prey who have proven themselves on the battlefield or on another term. The rules state what is worthy prey and what is unworthy prey.
    In that mindset, your Predator would just look at dishonorable prey with disgust and the need to just utterly destroy that thing.

I'll ask one final questions and that'll probably solve my neutrality.

1. One of your brethren has died. He has not been able to redeem himself by Self-Destructing and his equipment has been stolen by the marines. You look around and find that one marine in the middle of a group has his mask on and is boasting about it. They're all armed and laughing at the fact that your brother has died.
    What do you do ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. One of your brethren has died. He has not been able to redeem himself by Self-Destructing and his equipment has been stolen by the marines. You look around and find that one marine in the middle of a group has his mask on and is boasting about it. They're all armed and laughing at the fact that your brother has died.
    What do you do ?

My character would be extremely furious at the sight of Yautja gear in the hands of anything but another Yautja. She'd use an HPC focused on the center of the group of marines to inflict the most damage and discombobulate them. Next, she'd seek to isolate the offending marine from the rest of the group and kill him, then as a sign of personal disrespect, decapitate him and discard the trophy and his body in front of the FOB as a warning. Finally, she'd return the mask to the body of the fallen brother and active his self destruct function, hoping the wipe away the stain of failing to activate it himself, and leave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corocan View Post
    My character would be extremely furious at the sight of Yautja gear in the hands of anything but another Yautja. She'd use an HPC focused on the center of the group of marines to inflict the most damage and discombobulate them. Next, she'd seek to isolate the offending marine from the rest of the group and kill him, then as a sign of personal disrespect, decapitate him and discard the trophy and his body in front of the FOB as a warning. Finally, she'd return the mask to the body of the fallen brother and active his self destruct function, hoping the wipe away the stain of failing to activate it himself, and leave.
    I'm convinced. +1