Alan Jones
    Their BYOND Key
    Grimreaperx15
    Approximate time and date of the incident
    13:54 CST
    Which Staff Protocols (//showthrea...-and-Protocols) were broken
    2 and 5
    Description of the incident
    I was BEing an MT after round had ended for stealing the Almayer code book.

When I do BE poeple I make sure to empty the cylinder. So to make sure they don't get up even if medical crew interferes. This was a pure IC issue and the BE I was performing had IC reasons behind it.

At the time I had to make a pause to attempt announcing the BE, but I couldnt since rex had just announced it, so it took me a while. Server was laggy as well and the marksman mateba was slow.

As a result of this I caught an EORG ban and I'm unable to play for the next three hours for very weak reasons, for something that was perfectly IC, only as a result of some technicality of itsy-bitsy thing with the rules.

I attempted talking to the moderator in question to have the ban lifted and it did not happen as they beleive it was correctly placed.
    I know this bad isn't going to be lifted, but I have to make this report as it sets a horrible precedent for any CO player.

Therefore I need a decision from senior staff and management staff on this ruling as it sets an extremely bad precedent for any CO that attempts to BE someone after the round has ended. And as a CO council member this is a genuine concern.
    Evidence
    Find it in the logs. If needed I can also attach my correspondence with the moderator in question.
    How you would punish the accused
    Nothing, just clarify the issue for me and him both. While I disagree with his decision, I hold nothing against Grimreaperx15, as I find him to be one of the decent moderators in the team.

Manager Emeritus & System Administrator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I've been speaking with various Senior Staff about this incident, and I'll be posting here for transparency and posterity purposes.

My belief that it was EORG stems from the following logs:

[14:44:30] Alan Jones/arbs shot Leland Marshall/ with a high-impact revolver bullet in the Engine Reactor Core Room. = null
    [14:44:34] Alan Jones/arbs shot Leland Marshall/ with a high-impact revolver bullet in the Engine Reactor Core Room. = null
    [14:44:42] Alan Jones/arbs shot Leland Marshall/ with a high-impact revolver bullet in the Engine Reactor Core Room. = null
    [14:45:03] Alan Jones/arbs shot Leland Marshall/ with a high-impact revolver bullet in the Engine Reactor Core Room. = null
    [14:46:01] Alan Jones/arbs shot Leland Marshall/ with a high-impact revolver bullet in the Engine Reactor Core Room. =

in which show an extremely long delay between the first shots, and the last. It is my opinion that while the first shots constituted a Battlefield Execution, the last were just shooting a corpse.

I would like to state that while Arb's initial messages to me were a bit less than polite, he apologizes and I certainly understand his frustration.

I believe this report is more of 'what exactly constitutes a Battlefield Execution' than anything else, as that is where my feeling that it was EORG comes in. I felt that the delay meant the BE was over, and it was now just shooting a corpse, but I would like to hear from appropriate Staff about this.
    TrialModerator from 12/15/2018 to 12/29/2018
    Moderator from 12/29/2018 to 6/29/2019
    TrialAdmin from 6/29/2019 to 7/29/2019
    Admin from 7/29/2019 to 6/17/2021
    Manager from 6/17/2021 to ???
    ManagerEmeritus from ??? to ???

The Helllbanian CO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my defense I have to say that the server was performing very laggy in the round end due to the ongoing test and that I also had an announcement to make that I couldnt make due to the XO making one right before the BE. hence the long pause.

And it has become common practice to make sure the BEd target is unrevivable, at least until I could announce the BE, so that no one interferes with the BE to make things more complicated.

In any case, this report is out there for the sake of a ruling to clarify this for future instances and other players and staff.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Logs:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll just wrap this whole thing up now since it's not really a big deal. EORG is specifically designed with the creation of FF logs as a factor. This created logs and that does constitute it as EORG material. While we obviously try to pardon those caused by IC conflicts, the moderators will only check for hostile mobs in the area of the FF logs. If they do not see one, it will be assumed it's EORG and the ban will be placed. To post the exact rule as it's always been:

End of Round Grief (EORG) is fighting and generating any combat logs with friendly players after the round ends and is an immediate 3-hour ban without warning. Exceptions are between normal enemies, such as Marines and Aliens, Marines and UPP, etc.
    If you're performing a BE on someone post-round, it is most likely going to be seen as EORG and you'll likely get banned. Mods are not going to sit there an ask for a full detailed rundown on what's going on so if they don't view what is going on as a BE, they are able to ban you for EORG. This is why after the round ends, you don't do FF even if you have an IC reason to back it up. Yes it might be annoying to have to let some dude live because the round ended a minute before you could execute the guy, but it really doesn't matter as the round is already officially over at that point.

With all of that said, here is what's going to happen. I will lift the ban and the note will be deleted. Looking back at the event in question, we have no reason to not believe this was a valid BE. For anyone CO in the future who may wish to preform BE after the round end, please refrain from is the answer. That said, if you are performing a BE after the round ends and you do get an EORG ban (which is likely so don't), you can make an appeal regarding the BE and provide the evidence for it being valid and the note and remaining ban time (if any) will be lifted. However, there is no promise at all your appeal will get lifted in 3 hours so you're likely going to have to eat that 3-hour ban before it gets answered. As such, it's easier for everyone if you refrain from doing them after the round's end.

Report resolved.